Phantom Vision camera - photos left side soft -

Reaction score
Took second flight today. It was a little windy as a storm just came through New England but I was nit worried as it was not constant.

I was hoping for better snow but it was not sticking to trees as I had hoped. Anyway I wanted to see after readying a post by someone that was not happy with the visions camera because he thought the left side of the frame was soft. He returned his and the new one was not better. As I was so excited (as many our when they get it) I thought all looked ok on mine, but having bought from the same supplier I wanted to be sure.

After I went back and noticed the photos I took on flight one and now this one, the camera is not what I was hoping for. Or in fact maybe has an issue.

Here is a photo from first flight http://www.flickr.com/photos/63097412@N00/11277002963/ the center and right seem ok (sharpish) the left side it gets soft and softer off that edge.

Flight 2 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/63097412@N ... otostream/ again same softness on left edge, maybe I'm pixel peeping / or expecting more from the camera.

I have looked at a few other folks shots and they look pretty sharp across the board.

My video seems ok in general for the small amount I have shot.

Should I return this one for a replacement - or should I rethink this entirely and lose the ease of out of the box and FPV and switch to P2 with a gopro?

I have the same problem with consistency in sharpness. Left side of mine are sharper than the right. I bought mine from B&H and they told me it was a defective camera & it should be returned. So you're not the only one with this issue.

Generally when one side of an image is soft it has to do with the small elements within the lens being decentered.

This can affect auto focus and sharpness on DSLR lenses. I've had two expensive lenses in my time that have had this issue.

Judging from your photographs, it looks like a decentered lens element. Send it back.

Hopefully you get it sorted out quickly. I feel for people spending money and not getting the proper results they paid for. Good luck!

It is a known issue. Decide whether you want to live with it or not. I couldn't so I am getting a replacement. You may have to fight for it though depending on the dealer. My dealer has been more then helpful. DJI initially were not.

Yes, Same problem with mine, but the poor focus is on the right hand side.

DJI Germany had me send some sample images on Friday, so I am waiting to
see the reply.

I have seen quite a few pictures posted on Facebook and other forums, and
there does seem to me a reasonable amount of PV2 cameras displaying this
issue, even if the owners are not aware of it.

Dave

I was asked to send sample pictures to [email protected] and the reply was that there had been a few reported cases of this left hand side unsharp issue.
Personally I think the problem is more then just a few and it's really just a question of luck whether you get a good camera or not.
Maybe the majority of users are not bothered or not so demanding of the camera.
I'm so sorry to bang on about this - probably starting to sound like a stuck record But --------
the camera is not a high end piece of equipment but it should be sharp edge to edge within reason. I can live with a little bit of fall off in the corners.
I am talking about the still quality not the video btw.

Mactab said:
I was asked to send sample pictures to [email protected] and the reply was that there had been a few reported cases of this left hand side unsharp issue.
Personally I think the problem is more then just a few and it's really just a question of luck whether you get a good camera or not.
Maybe the majority of users are not bothered or not so demanding of the camera.
I'm so sorry to bang on about this - probably starting to sound like a stuck record But --------
the camera is not a high end piece of equipment but it should be sharp edge to edge within reason. I can live with a little bit of fall off in the corners.
I am talking about the still quality not the video btw.

I am glad you have done better than my attempt, after the quick response from DJI in Germany to my camera focus support ticket,
I sent the requested images and waited for a reply, that was Friday morning, so today I sent another email asking did they receive pictures, this was the reply;

"Thank you for your e-mail.

I am currently out of the office. I return to the office on Monday the 30th of December 2013. Your e-mail will not be forwarded. For urgent matters please forward your e-mail to: [email protected]

Kind Regards"

Totally unbelievable :evil:

Well, it's typical DJI support. We all know that when you buy a DJI product you are pretty much on your own as far as support is concerned.

rilot said:
Well, it's typical DJI support. We all know that when you buy a DJI product you are pretty much on your own as far as support is concerned.

You're correct, I should have known better, I have had DJI products since the launch of the
Wookong, the fast response to my support ticket caught me off guard :D

I bought mine on Amazon from All e RC. I filled out the return form on Amazon and asked if I could just send the camera unit back rather than the whole thing. Got a response back very quickly from All e RC:

Yes, it would probably be cheapest to just return the camera, but,
please email me tomorrow as I am going to ask DJI tonight if they have a
solution for this issue and be sure that just returning the camera would
be the right idea.

So I am cautiously hopeful. I'll post what happens here.

Well, it sounds like I'm sending my camera back tomorrow. From All e RC:

OK, ship the camera to the address below and please include a copy of the receipt and the RMA form found on our website (I can't link it here as amazon will remove but google our company name and click the warranty page and you can download there). I am not in the office to give you a number so just leave the rma number blank but you can put a copy of this email in as well.

I have already got one response from DJI but it is not a confirmation as to what needs to be replaced or not so we can start with the camera to save time because that was their first suggestion.

I am sending my back to B&H soon. Their customer support is the best. I was tempted to get a refund and maybe get a phantom 2 and buy a GoPro - I just don't want to lose the FPV I'm getting with the Vision - I don't have the technical know how or funds to add a gopro plus a FPV - ughhh stay tuned.

Wow, I'm glad I found this post. My camera is noticeablly soft on the right side. I too purchased from Amazon from All e RC. I sent them sample photos and am awaiting their response, hopefully I'll be able to send my camera back for an exchange too.

I must say, rather disappointing given the price point

I have got the same problem, left side:

IMG_2013_left.jpg

right side, same distance :

IMG_2012_right.jpg

I got an answer from DJI to send it back. So it`s on its way.

Right side for me ...

Hi all ... new member of the Vision club :)

Fab machine and really fun. But also found the camera is a little off. Recent shot showed left side very sharp indeed but right was fuzzy as heck. Asking dealer what can be reasonably done.

http://photosignals.smugmug.com/photos/ ... wqtNW6.jpg

Some QC issues I would imagine. Perhaps the camera is not calibrated before shipping. I know it is a "hobbyist" machine but still needs to do what it says on the tin :)

Mike

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj