Phantom vision 2 plus arriving in 4 days... indoor flying???

Reaction score
I have read manual and am still confused... Is there a setting to fly indoors where you have total control and do not have to worry about gps control and failsafe... I understood that failsafe and return to home causes the unit to ascend to certain height before returning. This is a problem indoors and also gps is iffy....

Re: Phantom vision 2 plus arriving in 4 days... indoor flyin

Without GPS the a/c will fly in Attitude mode. In this case (Atti. mode) the a/c will maintian level orientation, its heading and altitude withint the systems specs.

This means it will drift X-Y from wind currents or directional momentum a.k.a. inertia.

I think you will find very quickly that flying inside is suicide. Unless you are VERY experienced in flying in manual or have a VERY large building you may be purchasing a second quad soon.
....And welcome to the forum.

Happyflyer said:
I think you will find very quickly that flying inside is suicide. Unless you are VERY experienced in flying in manual or have a VERY large building you may be purchasing a second quad soon.
....And welcome to the forum.

Lol doooooooooom but welcome :)

Though I agree... You can fly it indoors, but only do so if you're really comfortable with rc heli's/quads

rontam said:
I have read manual and am still confused... Is there a setting to fly indoors where you have total control and do not have to worry about gps control and failsafe... I understood that failsafe and return to home causes the unit to ascend to certain height before returning. This is a problem indoors and also gps is iffy....
First learn to fly the Phantom - outdoors with GPS.
Then learn to fly in Atti mode outside in a clear area before trying indoor flying.
Indoors you will not have GPS so the Phantom will default to Atti mode anyway.
Without GPS it cannot RTH/failsafe.

hey ok,,, ya I fly a lot.. airplanes,,, some heli... tried a couple small quads indoors... no prob... like inside , indoor soccer field and inside 100 by 200 area with high ceiling... was just afraid new coming quad phantom had to have gps to fly safly. Did not want auto anything to take over and head up to the heaven while inside...

rontam said:
hey ok,,, ya I fly a lot.. airplanes,,, some heli... tried a couple small quads indoors... no prob... like inside , indoor soccer field and inside 100 by 200 area with high ceiling... was just afraid new coming quad phantom had to have gps to fly safly. Did not want auto anything to take over and head up to the heaven while inside...
It read like you should not have any problems due to your past experience. One thing I can think of and others that really know should step in, but somewhere I remember if the controller is shut off and quad is low to the ground it goes up. Now that could/may only be if you had GPS. Just something to think about until we get a known answer on that.
Michigan=another cold flyer.

Happyflyer said:
rontam said:
It read like you should not have any problems due to your past experience. One thing I can think of and others that really know should step in, but somewhere I remember if the controller is shut off and quad is low to the ground it goes up. Now that could/may only be if you had GPS. Just something to think about until we get a known answer on that.
Michigan=another cold flyer.

I am almost positive that this only happens in GPS mode as it is part of the fly home protocol. That said... I wouldn't shut your controller off why flying indoors - seems like a recipe for disaster :lol:

rontam said:
I don't think you'll have any problems flying in an area that large as long as you keep it atti mode. Just keep in mind that it'll probably drift around a bit like most smaller quadcopters do, and to keep it away from walls since they tend to drift towards them if you're too close. I've flown mine in much smaller areas and it did just fine, just take it easy and use banked turns to keep from drifting too far away, or give yourself plenty of room from the walls when you turn.

So off topic a little bit, but I have been reading about the dreaded atti mode, so am I to understand that it the same as flying without GPS in without lock in "phantom" mode? I'm new to the phantom, but not quads so if that is the case I may be switching to atti this evening.

aggiesrwe03 said:
So off topic a little bit, but I have been reading about the dreaded atti mode, so am I to understand that it the same as flying without GPS in without lock in "phantom" mode? I'm new to the phantom, but not quads so if that is the case I may be switching to atti this evening.

Without GPS lock the Phantom defaults to atti - it uses its other sensors to maintain height and attitude. You can only choose to engage atti if you have switched your Phantom to Naza mode using the Assistant software. In the default Phantom mode the S1 switch will not put you i atti.

I would advise you NOT to fly indoors. It's just not needed lol.

Meta4 said:
aggiesrwe03 said:

Without GPS lock the Phantom defaults to atti - it uses its other sensors to maintain height and attitude. You can only choose to engage atti if you have switched your Phantom to Naza mode using the Assistant software. In the default Phantom mode the S1 switch will not put you i atti.

I know, just clarifying before I did it, thanks.

I like flying indoors because there are no trees. :shock:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31