Phantom Vision 2 lift off flipping and falling

Reaction score
Recently my Phantom 2 vision has started flipping over repeatedly just at take off or when it reaches a few feet in the air.

I have tried several things based on reading forum posts to correct the problem but nothing is working..

(1) re calibrated compass..no help
(2) unplugged the compass..no help
(3) recalibrated basic and advanced IMU with laptop... All values well within normal ranges... No help
(4) checked props for correct orientation and spin.. All correct... No help
(5) held the drone by the landing gear and had helper throttle up to full throttle to see if the quad was pulling any direction but straight up.... No issues and did not help
(5)motor test... Full throttle and no stuttering or cutting out... All motors respond with various txt inputs
(6) full take off throttle.. ie.not easing it up.... No help
(7) correct mix setting on assistant software

I am currently running firmware 3.08
NaZa mode

Any ideas.....??..??

Sounds like a Tx error,
Plug you radio to RC assistant, recalibrate it,
Then hook phantom to PC assistant, recalibrate
Radio here as well. ( first calibrates radio, 2nd calibrates
Radio to phantom ) see if this helps, if No, then reinstall
Firmware on Phantom, maybe bad update?

Let us know?

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot

Does it do it in PHANTOM MODE?
Or only in Naza mode?
Maybe settings are too high ( like manual mode )
Where slightest touch of stick, causingj craft to flip?
Just thinking out loud?

Let us know?

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot

How do you launch? You should just be using full throttle until you get at least 4 feet up.
You need to be in a clear open area (otherwise turbulence from the prop air can push around back to the craft).

As J Dot recommended above, try recalibrating your remote controller exactly like this:

Last edited:
It is inside, you have to open it, check YouTube for video!

J Dot

Ok... So I re calibrated the tx... And followed the video. I went out and started the phantom 2 up and it immediately lifted off about a foot and turn upside down into the ground.. This repeated about three times until I got it in the air for more than a few seconds.. Was able to fly around and maneuver and just when I thought i was good to go.. The quad flipped upside down about 10 ft off the ground and crashed.. Again!! It was almost like it had a power glitch or something but when I walked up to it the battery was still on. I am so confused. Has anyone had your phantom 2 to be flying fine and suddenly flip over and fall to the ground???

Check your motor bearings , does it flip the same way each time?
Or flip randomly?

Check motors closely for friction , debris, anything weird.
I sometimes take off props, turn on motors ( idle ) gently squeeze motor with fingers
To try to stop , see if they are strong or weak. ( don't stop them, only apply pressure )
See if each is like the others, or if one is weak. Also just had a thought
The newer dji self tightening props, have a different pitch than the original phantom 2 props,
You might have mis-match props? 1-2 new style, and 1-2 old style ( not sure if craft can compensate for
Different pitch props? Or not, but worth a look.

Let us know?

J Dot

J Dot

A fully functioning phantom won't flip over and crash in gps or atti mode, almost regardless of how well or badly the calibrations are done.
In manual it can be deliberately flipped.
It seems highly likely that there is a fault with a motor or speed controller (esc) which is stopping a prop, causing the flip.

My advice - stop flying it, crashing will just wreck something else!

Open it up, check what type of esc and wires you have, making sure the joints and continuity are fine. Loads written on this forum about the escs and troubleshooting...

Reactions: Isaacpv+
Can anyone suggest my best option for repair... Ie company,cost,process,etc. I appreciate all the help and infomimhave received thus far.

The problem can be your actual firmware... 3.08 had serious issues!

Phantom 2 Vision Assistant Software v3.8
* Download the Firmware via Assistant software; Windows XP or above (32bit/64bit).
2015-01-30

@Phantom 2 Vision Main Controller Firmware* v3.12
2015-03-03
@Phantom 2 Vision Central Board Firmware* v1.0.2.10

Regards.

The problem can be your actual firmware... 3.08 had serious issues!

Phantom 2 Vision Assistant Software v3.8
* Download the Firmware via Assistant software; Windows XP or above (32bit/64bit).
2015-01-30

@Phantom 2 Vision Main Controller Firmware* v3.12
2015-03-03
@Phantom 2 Vision Central Board Firmware* v1.0.2.10

Regards.

I'm unaware of ANY issues with 3.08.

Expressed myself badly... My cousin had problems with this firmware version, similar to the WF. Not everyone!

[]s.

3.10 had issues and was pulled by DJI. That may have been what he had.

If it is flipping the same way evertime then it is probably the ESC or motor on that side. You also might want to open up the Phantom and see if any of the wires going to motors looked burned or have bubbles in them, like they getting hot. Check make sure wires fit tight and not loose at solder point.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1