Phantom v1 with V2 propellers

Reaction score
I swapped my carbon props on my Phantom V1 with the props from a Phantom 2 and I noticed about a minute longer on video all things being the same. I tested the new props against my carbon fiber balanced props and was pretty surprised by the overall performance and stability. no jello differences between props - the new V2 seem to come balanced. Tested with similar batteries and giving the motors about 20 min cool down.

So I guess I'm leaving the new design props on my Phantom v1!

So is it literally as simple as buying V2 props, screw them on the V1, and done... added flight time?

Bunger said:
So is it literally as simple as buying V2 props, screw them on the V1, and done... added flight time?

Pretty much. Right now they're the cheapest easiest upgrade to the original Phantoms, and with probably the largest impact on flight time other than doubling up on batts.

OI Photography said:
Bunger said:

Pretty much. Right now they're the cheapest easiest upgrade to the original Phantoms, and with probably the largest impact on flight time other than doubling up on batts.
Absolutely agree!

I feel I must also add my endorsement to upgrading the props.

My Phantom's current AUW is about 1150grams and on standard 2200mAh battery was attaining average flight times of about six minutes. Last week I added a set of V2 props and the average flight time, over three flights, was between 9.5 and 10 minutes.

It must be pointed out that those wishing to upgrade their props should ensure that they have a suitable motor arangement i.e That they have motors with alternate thread directions suitable for self tightening props - 2xcw and 2xccw threads on the motor shafts.

Regards

Nidge

Hi.
I bought these props too but only tried them once and then the quad flew weirdly. My phantom is version 1.1.1. I recently got some carbon fibre versions of these props from ebay as I feel the stock ones are a bit flimsy. Anyhoo, tried to take off today and the quad was all over the place and wobbled and spun. It seemed as though only two props were really trying to lift anf with full throttle the quad only got about 3 feet off the ground. The cf props have a hole going through and I used the silver and black prop nuts. The props sit very low on the shaft with not much clearance over the arms and not much distance between the tips of adjacent props.
So, either there is another problem with the quad, although I previously used 8 inch cf props and the quad flew beautifully. Or I put the props on the wrong way round? I was quite careful in putting them on and paid attention to the rotation direction. What am i doing wrong?

The genuine dji 9443s are dynamically balanced and fly well out of the box. The eBay knockoffs are not balanced at all and fly like crap until you balance them. Once balanced they fly just as well as the djis. I have 4 sets of cf knockoffs and every blade needed to be balanced. Invest a few hours of your time and $25 in a dubro balancer and it'll be all good.

Hi Kevin

Do the third party cf props have the same fitting as the original DJI or do they have a round hole? If the latter it my be due the props slipping on the shaft as you increase the torque.

Regards

Nidge

All the CF ones I've gotten are keyed to the DJI motor shafts, so no slipping. I've bought from 3 different places, but they might all be from the same factory.

Hi chaps,

cheers for the replies. As was stated above, the holes are round but when you slot the prop over the threads, they lock into position and don't move. Then I just tightened down the appropriate prop nut to keep them in place. I will admit that I didn't balance the props: I was mad keen to try them out and figured that they would be ok. Wrong! I
will follow the suggestion to get a prop balancer and see how I go. In the meantime, I have recalibrated the phantom and now added knockoff V2 props. Let's see if it's better.

Cheers again.

Kevin.

Have you guys changed any of the gains when going with V2 props? I recently got a v1.1.1 and put V2 props on it. I'm still using the default gains.

Would changing the gains do anything? What values are you using and does it make a difference?

Joe

Are the v2 props a bit stiffer than the v1s as well? I find the V1 props a bit flexible and am thinking they introduce some instability by flexing during high speed flight?
Im thinking CF props for my V1 but prefer to stick with DJI components if they turn out to perform pretty much the same as CF ones?

The 9.4" props are a bit flexy because they are longer, there's no getting around that. But it's not necessarily a bad thing.

DJI props perform extremely well it seems. I go with cf mainly for weight and the non-self-tightening option, not for better flight characteristics.

I have been using the DJI 9443 propellers for the last 3 weeks and they are great! I definitively get more flight time! Just ordrerd the CF version of these by Helipal...

Of course your Phantom v1.1.1 will also look better with 9 inch props :)

Bunger said:
I just got my new props from Atlanta hobby and am thinking they may be the wrong ones? I ordered these:

http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/vi ... egory=1078

The label says:
phantom 2 vision
Spare part no 3
Pv636239940

The reason I am wondering is because these measure 9 1/2" from tip to tip. Are these the right ones?
Why do you think they are wrong? What were you trying to buy?

The vision props are supposed to be 9.4" long with 4.3 pitch, they're called "9443s"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20