Phantom upgrade

Is anybody else having problems upgrading the firmware to 3.16? I downloaded the NAZA M-V2 2.16 upgrade which is supposed to include the 3.16 firmware upgrade. When I hook up the Phantom to the software to upgrade the firmware, it tells me that I need to upgrade the firmware. Duh! It then has a link for the upgrades, and shows that there are no upgrades available.

corderm said:
Is anybody else having problems upgrading the firmware to 3.16? I downloaded the NAZA M-V2 2.16 upgrade which is supposed to include the 3.16 firmware upgrade. When I hook up the Phantom to the software to upgrade the firmware, it tells me that I need to upgrade the firmware. Duh! It then has a link for the upgrades, and shows that there are no upgrades available.

Same problem. If I try running v2.16 Assistant I get a Firmware Mismatch warning, yet when I try and upgrade from either 2.16 or 2.14 the latest available version shown is 3.14 Firmware. Doh!

Had the same problem yesterday but tried this morning and it worked fine. Release notes are still for 3.14 so hopefully this will all work.

Has anyone seen anything about when the new accessories will be available? Specifically interested in the BTU.

Bats said:
Has anyone seen anything about when the new accessories will be available? Specifically interested in the BTU.

Aerial Media Pros on 9-aug have the upgrade boards in stock, but had received no word yet on when iOSD mini and BTU will ship.

Steve

Hi all,

I just upgraded to the 3.16 firmware as the Naza M Assistant recommended (after first upgrading to Naza M V2) but since doing it my compass wont work properly. I get the red/amber constant LED message no matter what and it won't let me flip the gps/atti switch to enter compass calibration mode.

I tried just doing the gps dance anyway and subsequently found out that the compass seems to work OK (or at least the error message stops) if I invert the Phantom so it is upside down! I also get Error 27 in the Assistant - this goes away if I invert the quad. She flies but she is very twitchy and I need to constantly correct.

I have uploaded a video of the weirdness to YouTube, see here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnEQ5MfbRe0

Any help would be appreciated, I've put an email to DJI Europe but I'm not holding my breath for a speedy reply.

Cheers

Russ

russparks said:
Hi all,

I just upgraded to the 3.16 firmware as the Naza M Assistant recommended (after first upgrading to Naza M V2) but since doing it my compass wont work properly. I get the red/amber constant LED message no matter what and it won't let me flip the gps/atti switch to enter compass calibration mode.

I tried just doing the gps dance anyway and subsequently found out that the compass seems to work OK (or at least the error message stops) if I invert the Phantom so it is upside down! I also get Error 27 in the Assistant - this goes away if I invert the quad. She flies but she is very twitchy and I need to constantly correct.

I have uploaded a video of the weirdness to YouTube, see here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnEQ5MfbRe0

Any help would be appreciated, I've put an email to DJI Europe but I'm not holding my breath for a speedy reply.

Cheers

Russ

I can help you. I upgraded to 3.16 also and had all the problems you mentioned. You will need to go back to 3.14. I honestly thought my Phantom was going to fly away. I had t uninstall Assistant 3.16 in order to go back. If you like and want to fly today, go back to FW 3.14.

Hey Skipper,

I tried that, I installed Naza M and downgraded to 3.14, now it wont even fly with going crazy! What did you do after that?

During the upgrade, make sure you also import the Phantom Configuration Perimeters from: http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-downloads/

Then import them in the 'Tools' tab. The only way I could get my Phantom into Calibration mode was to actually put a magnet nearby so the Compass Mod value was high enough to clear the Error [27] Error, after which I was able to toggle the switch and get into Compass Calibration mode.

Not flown yet after the upgrade.

RiNkY said:
During the upgrade, make sure you also import the Phantom Configuration Perimeters from: http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-downloads/

Then import them in the 'Tools' tab. The only way I could get my Phantom into Calibration mode was to actually put a magnet nearby so the Compass Mod value was high enough to clear the Error [27] Error, after which I was able to toggle the switch and get into Compass Calibration mode.

So if you haven't flown it since the upgrade how can you feel confortable providing advice. You don't even know if its actually going to work. Not a risk I would be willing to take with someone else's Phantom. Not a good practice if you ask me.

russparks said:
Hey Skipper,

I tried that, I installed Naza M and downgraded to 3.14, now it wont even fly with going crazy! What did you do after that?

After going back to 3.14, I imported the parameters, you'll also want to recalibrate everything including the transmitter. It's a real PITA. After I did that I went over to a nearby field and flew it around, close to the ground and not too far away. You'll know immediately if it's acting properly, it was and I did a couple of batteries in the hot sun. For me, it was like an old girlfriend coming back.
Got up early Sunday and flew 10 packs. Everything was working perfectly.

FangsCPO said:
RiNkY said:

So if you haven't flown it since the upgrade how can you feel confortable providing advice. You don't even know if its actually going to work. Not a risk I would be willing to take with someone else's Phantom. Not a good practice if you ask me.

The only 'advice' RiNkY offered was to import the parameter file, which is DJI's recommendation as well. I for one appreciated the info and the inclusion of the all-important caveat "Not flown yet after the upgrade." No one is asking anyone to take risks, we're each the pilots of our own craft.

I would suggest that before putting magnets by the compass, one should carefully watch DJI's video on resetting the Phantom compass using an external magnet when compass calibration fails (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7Kf3uo93I). As I recall, it involves exposing the compass to successive semi random external magnet movements while monitoring the compass Mod values on the Assistant SW. The goal is to get the compass Mod value from 1400-1800 so that the error can then be compensated by the normal compass calibration process. This is different from just holding a magnet nearby to pass the initial error check, but perhaps not reducing the actual compass error. From reports on adverse consequences of potential or actual compass errors, I would be certainly advise making sure compass calibration is successful before flight testing.

At the risk of contributing more 'not yet flown' information, I completed the install of the Phantom upgrade board for the Zenmuse H3-2D. Some observations that might be of some interest:

The board upgrade procedure is fairly straight-forward and the result is much cleaner in 'appearance' than the previous option with PMU v2 and separate GCU. The upgrade board weighs less than 10 g more than the original (33 g vs. 24 g), so the overall savings in wt is non-trivial since the metal-encased PMU and CGU are not needed (maybe 60-70 g savings, can't remember for sure).

Some observations that might be of some interest: The board I received is actually slightly different in layout than the one pictured in DJI's manual. Specifically, the 'left' edge (as viewed from the front of the craft) by the battery leads has been trimmed several mm providing more clearance from the Phantom shell. The cable lengths are 'exactly right' so pay careful attention to layout. I added some extra solder to the V (VCC) and G (GRND) pads for the ESC wires before attaching the wires. Removing the NAZA from the original board required some persuasion, that 3M adhesive works quite well.

Can't personally comment yet on functionality, except to say the NAZA booted, the new LED board displayed normally and got to GPS lock with no issues.

Steve

PS: Remember the number one rule of multirotor flight - YMMV...

I bought a phantom a couple weeks ago and as soon as I upgraded the firmware I lost the use of the compass and GPS mode. I worked for days to resolve the problem. I thought it was defective so I returned it. I received a second one purchased from a different dealer and have the same exact problem. I can't get any help from the dealers other than being told it is a software issue and are getting no help from DJI about how or when it will be resolved. I would not recommend this quad to anybody until this has been resolved. If anybody has been successful in fixing it please let me know.

I have had a problem with my compass since I upgraded my firmware. it would not calibrate manually or in the basic or advanced methods with the software. My dealer instructed me to do it manually, then hook it to to the assistant software program, click on basic, click on RC and make sure it is on PPM and not D-bus for the transmitter. My problem was solved with that action after days of frustration.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4