Phantom Upgrade Motors

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have the Phantom Version 1.2
It has the CW and CCW motors and props obviously. It already has an H3-2D gimbal, running a 2800mAh battery, and just ordered a Fatshark FPV Setup. Its going to be pretty heavy and Im worried the stock motors will have to much stress on them. I also have the dslrpros.com 9 inch carbon fiber props.

Whats my best bet at new motors. Anti Gravity motors are wicked expensive, but are they worth it??

ipatry said:
Whats my best bet at new motors. Anti Gravity motors are wicked expensive, but are they worth it??

They're solid motors with a good reliability rate, and may stand up to higher levels of strain better. There aren't many other options that will fit on the Phantom (221X class, 900-980kv), and most any ones I'd trust with that will cost nearly what the anti-grav set does.

However, regardless of what motors you choose, you're probably not going to get any significant bump in your payload capacity on the Phantom, you just may get to go longer before any fail or need replacing.

I've heard good things about the antigrav, so long as you're looking for reliability and not longer flight time. DJI's new e300 motors are another option, their head of propulsion specifically called out the work they did in using NMB bearings to maximize efficiency and life. So you've got a couple of options.

ipatry said:

There's the rub- unless I am mistaken (and I am quite often) there are perhaps 2 sets of motors on the aftermarket available for the Phantom... and only the anti gravity are direct replacements designed to be a simple swap.

So considering the quality and consistent reports (and the sweet sound in all the vids I see 'em in) I'd ay yes, they are worth the investment.

ElGuano said:
I've heard good things about the antigrav, so long as you're looking for reliability and not longer flight time. DJI's new e300 motors are another option, their head of propulsion specifically called out the work they did in using NMB bearings to maximize efficiency and life. So you've got a couple of options.

They will work in the phantom? Show me the thread... and who supplies them?
:lol:

Hiway said:
ElGuano said:

DJI E300s are a refinement of the existing 2212/920kv motors that are already in the phantom. They are drop-in replacements and all new phantoms (or at least p2s) are now shipping with e300s pre-installed.

Hiway said:
ElGuano said:

Kit (with ESC's + props): http://1uas.com/E300-4xmotorESC-4-Pair
Motors separately (CW+CCW pair): http://1uas.com/DJI-E300-MOTORCWCCW

Here's another option I haven't seen tested yet in the Phantom: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 45496.html

ElGuano said:

DJI E300s are a refinement of the existing 2212/920kv motors that are already in the phantom. They are drop-in replacements and all new phantoms (or at least p2s) are now shipping with e300s pre-installed.

While you were typing- I was searching and reading... I did not see where they are direct replacements, but I trust you are correct as I have only a minute in studying. I found the link to UAV's kit here: http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=266

I am sold- I will be putting these in the rebuild of the Phantom from todays mishap. I am stoked!

DesertFlyer53 said:
Very interested in this but am a little concerned about changing out the ESC's. The motor's... no problem. Has anyone done this conversion to the P2? Is there a 'how to" thread anywhere?

http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=266

I wouldn't replace the ESCs - the Phantom has special "slim" ESCs with the LEDs integrated into the circuit board. The P2 should already have E300-derived ESCs (and even more integrated LEDs) so there's even less reason to do so. People have done the conversion for the P2, but as the P2 is already E300 derived, there shouldn't be any difference in performance.

Hiway said:
ElGuano said:

While you were typing- I was searching and reading... I did not see where they are direct replacements, but I trust you are correct as I have only a minute in studying. I found the link to UAV's kit here: http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=266

I am sold- I will be putting these in the rebuild of the Phantom from todays mishap. I am stoked!

Hope you didn't already order these. See previous posts... you don't want the ESC's, just the motors.

DesertFlyer53 said:
Hiway said:
ElGuano said:

Hope you didn't already order these. See previous posts... you don't want the ESC's, just the motors.

Thanks... yes I did- I am testing the credibility of UAV as I sent them an email requesting their recommendations on the upgrade/swap and what I should need. I was specific in what model Phantom I have... so I will wait for their reply.

I have a new shell enroute, I have my small retracts (of which 1 needs to go back) and they are confirmed to work off my channel 8 on the receiver- so once I get this back together it should be pretty trick... v1.1.1 with e300 propulsion, a 3 axis gimbal and retractable landing gear... and it should hitwell under 1100grams I am hoping. The key now is to find or make a mount that can fit under the gimbal mount that saddles the battery bay and rises up slightly under it on both sides with a flat section to drill holes and mount the 90 degree retracts...gotta wonder if dewey has something laying around his shop that would work, lol!

I don't do metal work...so no cnc stuff around and it's too heavy- I need formed plastic or CF.

Hiway said:
v1.1.1 with e300 propulsion, a 3 axis gimbal and retractable landing gear... and it should hitwell under 1100grams I am hoping.

If you can swing that, it would a very light Phantom. From the math, I might be able to hit 1090g with a single battery and ~250g 3-axis gimbal, but that's pretty barebones (and no retracts). What parts are you going to be running to reach that goal?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31