Phantom to Follow Moving Subject

Reaction score
Hi all,

As a beginner drone operator I was considering buying a cheap Phantom alternative to learn with before buying an authentic DJI. However, a recommendation on this forum has me rethinking...

I intend to use the drone to film footage of a moving object, specifically me and others doing things like wakeboarding and snowboarding. I have been told that a Phantom will follow you or other subjects, automatically avoiding obstacles. Is this true? Which Phantom models will support this behavior?

Chris

I know for a fact the phantom 3 models will do the follow me mode. However that means following the controller(so someone in the boat would have to have it) and you have to fly at minimum 30' high. I believe there are different drone manufacturers that actually have it so you can select an object on screen and it will follow that. Phantom 4 has forward collision avoidance only.

What about the ability to follow a homing beacon, like a wristband device or similar attached to the subject that will be moving?

Not that I know of with the phantom. Again, another manufacturer offers wrist band follow in a waterproof package (The Lily). Not sure if it's actually for sale yet or still being developed.

The primary reason I bought the 4 over other drones is to video wake boarding, tubing, and snow skiing. I have tested the visual active track boating and it is fantastic. I wouldn't consider any drone without the feature.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

The primary reason I bought the 4 over other drones is to video wake boarding, tubing, and snow skiing. I have tested the visual active track boating and it is fantastic. I wouldn't consider any drone without the feature.

Thank you for that. I have been having a conversation on the DJI forum in regards to Visual Tracking vs Follow Me. My issue is with the behavior if/when the Phantom loses the subject. Based on what DJI is saying, if the Phantom loses tracking (with either technology) it will not "catch up" with the subject once it regains tracking. In other words, if you initiate Visual Tracking and begin a ski run, if the Phantom intermittently loses and regains tracking along the run, it will drop farther and farther behind the subject.

Have you experienced this? Did you also have experience with Follow Me prior to making the choice to use Visual Tracking?

Chris

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj