phantom shakes and drifts after update

Reaction score
Did the latest update to the firmware, did it in the order I was supposed to 1) firmware update (success)
2) Did receiver update (success) 3) did a gimbal calibration 4) did an IMU calibration went out today for the first time did the compass calibration, took off to a hover and phantom drifts a bit and has a bit of a shake to it, thought maybe it was my blades, changed blades put on new ones still drifts a bit and shakes, took a video of it, did realise the video was sideways till I got home but you should see how it drifts a bit and shakes in the video im hoping, it used to be steady as a rock before, hover perfect and no drift, this all started after the update was done, maybe I should do another IMU calibration whats everyones opinion....sorry couldnt get the video onto here for some reason

What phantom 3 is it? Upgraded motors?
What firmware?
Does the drift happen with VPS on? Drift is normal when VPS is off and at very low altitudes. This is usually from prop wash and low sat counts and possible erroneous compass data.

I do know that there are known issues with the 1.5 firmware causing high resonating vibrations in the motors on the P3Pro with non-upgraded motors.
A few suggestions would be reverting to your previous firmware (you can only go down 1).
Another is to change your gain settings to 90. This can be done via your DJI pilot app.
MC settings > Gain & expo tuning > Scroll down to gains > Vertical = 90%.

Let the phantom hover about 10ft up and look at the camera+gimbal and watch for the shakes.

What phantom 3 is it? Upgraded motors?
What firmware?
Does the drift happen with VPS on? Drift is normal when VPS is off and at very low altitudes. This is usually from prop wash and low sat counts and possible erroneous compass data.

I do know that there are known issues with the 1.5 firmware causing high resonating vibrations in the motors on the P3Pro with non-upgraded motors.
A few suggestions would be reverting to your previous firmware (you can only go down 1).
Another is to change your gain settings to 90. This can be done via your DJI pilot app.
MC settings > Gain & expo tuning > Scroll down to gains > Vertical = 90%.

Let the phantom hover about 10ft up and look at the camera+gimbal and watch for the shakes.
its a phantom 3 pro running firmware 1.6.40 when I was out today had 14 sat registered, VPS is off, should I have that turned on?, will try the gain setting as suggested see if that helps, before the 1.6 firmware update phantom was steady as a rock, the drift doesnt bother me as much as the little shake it gives everyonce in a while, oh sorry just checked and I guess VPS was turned on....is the gain setting under "Gain& expo Tuning? if so mine is set to 0.40 right now, also motors have not been upgraded

Last edited:
well believed I just solved my shake and drift problems, I turned off VPS and its sits real steady now and the shake seems to be gone

I have mine off as well. I have never flown my p3p indoors so figured I'd just keep it off

I have mine off as well. I have never flown my p3p indoors so figured I'd just keep it off
ya I turned it on a while back was trying it indoors and forgot to turn it back off I guess....anyways glad problem is solved, thanks everyone for the words of wisdom and help...greatly appreciated

its a phantom 3 pro running firmware 1.6.40 when I was out today had 14 sat registered, VPS is off, should I have that turned on?, will try the gain setting as suggested see if that helps, before the 1.6 firmware update phantom was steady as a rock, the drift doesnt bother me as much as the little shake it gives everyonce in a while, oh sorry just checked and I guess VPS was turned on....is the gain setting under "Gain& expo Tuning? if so mine is set to 0.40 right now, also motors have not been upgraded

If you fly indoors, then VPS on. If not, keep it off.

Scroll down further to find gains. It's at the bottom.

On a side note,
The 0.40 setting is the expo tuning for your controller (set yaw to 0.20 if you want to desensitise the yaw).

My P3P shakes a little on 1.6.40. I see it in the camera and gimbal. I have tried the gain settings and noticed no difference. I can try disabling vps. It's not bad but you can see it especially when I do my pre flight in air walk around.

Happy with the update now that you have that figured out Squiddley?

Still using the stock firmware, in fear... Finally got enough gumption to give it a shot tonight....

thats the way mine was with the VPS turned on shut it off
and shake was gone

have you seen it come back yet? if not you are the luck ONE! mine comes and goes, some flights its there others like it never happened, id like to hear after you have done a few flights if it stays away or not

have you seen it come back yet? if not you are the luck ONE! mine comes and goes, some flights its there others like it never happened, id like to hear after you have done a few flights if it stays away or not
just tried it the once after I turned off VPS as it was dark by this time, will maybe give it a try tomorrow after work see how it works out will keep ya posted as to what I discover

just tried it the once after I turned off VPS as it was dark by this time, will maybe give it a try tomorrow after work see how it works out will keep ya posted as to what I discover

ok thanks its so odd the first time i noticed this i landed powered down then back on and it was perfect again, not like ive said it comes and goes.....

since i also have this vibration issue that everyone except maybe 6 people are having, i tryed going down and back up again which just wasted my time... i updated to latest app which cause me to have to update my ios if i go back to 1.4 and stay there am i going to have problems with the app since it will be updated but p3p is back to 1.4 or will the app still handle it fine? i sounds like it should but wondering if anyone has tryed? 1.4 worked best for me

okay went out at noon hour gave it another try, got it up to about 4 feet and the vibration is back its not the phantom that shakes but the gimbal itself....**** thought I had it fixed....

okay went out at noon hour gave it another try, got it up to about 4 feet and the vibration is back its not the phantom that shakes but the gimbal itself....**** thought I had it fixed....

That stinks, I will try it again later and see.

If you look real close (don't hit your head on the props, lol) you can see a very very slight shake on the arms by the motors too, but nothing like the videos from firmware 1.5.

not sure if going back is gonna help me im on version 1.6 if I go back it will be to 1.5 which everyone saying thats where the shaking all started from, I was told you can only go back one step is this correct?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31