Phantom rebuild F450 YAW problem (SOLVED)

Reaction score
Hi.

just had to rebuild my fc40 yesterday. I used all the original parts, exept from a SBEC/LED module.

Works at first try, but i keep slowly spinning to the right :/ I have done compass dance, naza basic and advanced calibration, still slowly turns to the right. Have just tested in ATTI mode and inside, snowy outside :/

Any idea of what might cause this? Is this a compass problem? Settings in NAZA (gps position is ok)

The build.

Compass placement

Compass from behind (to the right with black tape on it)

Re: Phantom rebuild F450 YAW problem

Looking at your build, it doesn't seem to be evenly balanced,.....does it?

aartsf said:
Looking at your build, it doesn't seem to be evenly balanced,.....does it?

hmm.. Might be. How do you recon i should balance it?

The most practical way seems to be using a weighing-sale that is precise enough to weigh at leat upto grams. Now you can weigh each branch of your bird under the motor-area. The 4 measurement should be the same. If not you can correct to the balance that is needed by adding some weight at location(s)/ branch(es) as needed.

Balance can be pretty far off and the NAZA will correct for it. My guess is a motor not level. Check that you do not have an arm twisted.

Thanks for the replies!

I am really scratching my head over this.. :/ I will buy a scale so i can measure each branch. I have now moved the gps unit to the front and in the middle. Tried a test flight last night, still spinning i ATTI mode and it went apeshit i GPS mode.. Not cool, since the gps mounting should have been correctly inputed in the naza.

It is the gps unit, not the compass i am typing in the mounting post in naza software right?

All motors seems to be level.. Dont know how to test it, but by eye all seems to be firm and leveled.. Still, would apreciate any feedback i can get.

Edit: Test flight right now. Quad flew nice, but still a small YAW to the right, and also a small ROLL to the right. This in both GPS mode and ATTI. Weight issue??

Thanks

Double check that you have the compass mounted in the correct orientation as it was in the FC 40.
The GPS should not be close to the battery wires. You may want to try some foil shielding underneath it.
Check in the assistant software that the compass value is within the recommended range.
I still think your problem could be motors out of level. Get a small bubble level. Set a wrench socket down over the motor shaft so that it rests on the flat part of the motor bell. Place the bubble level on top. Twist the arms as needed to level. Apply heat if necessary.

syotr said:
Double check that you have the compass mounted in the correct orientation as it was in the FC 40.
The GPS should not be close to the battery wires. You may want to try some foil shielding underneath it.
Check in the assistant software that the compass value is within the recommended range.
I still think your problem could be motors out of level. Get a small bubble level. Set a wrench socket down over the motor shaft so that it rests on the flat part of the motor bell. Place the bubble level on top. Twist the arms as needed to level. Apply heat if necessary.

Thank you for your response.

I have checked all the things you mentioned, and just checked the angel of the arms now. All arms seems crooked.. :/ I twisted them a bit, after using a (large) bubble level, and the YAW drift seems much better. Not sure if all drift (ROLL) is gone, but progress!

This is the punishment for buying a cheap 450 frame, not the DJI original one.. :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271311015417?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks alot, all of you. This might just work ;)

Did you calibrate the sticks?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 11.57.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 11.57.42 AM.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 613

jimandsue60 said:

I have done it all..

But after some bending the quad flies almost 100% smooth. :D The 450 frame was not straight. This i found out after i have done everything else. I used a bubble level and after a test flight i am very happy! The quad seems some stabile and responsive after i swapped the phantom 1 frame to the 450 frame.

SOLVED! :D

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it!

Oyvind

Glad you got it sorted out.
Here is how I level mine:

Attachments

• socket on motor.jpg
    socket on motor.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 672
  • bubble level.jpg
    bubble level.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 615
OEKA said:
jimandsue60 said:

I have done it all..

But after some bending the quad flies almost 100% smooth. :D The 450 frame was not straight. This i found out after i have done everything else. I used a bubble level and after a test flight i am very happy! The quad seems some stabile and responsive after i swapped the phantom 1 frame to the 450 frame.

SOLVED! :D

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it!

Oyvind
Congratulations and happy flying [emoji106]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4