Phantom prop guards-do you use the string?

Reaction score
I just received my DJI Prop Guards, and it came with a spool of string-was wondering how many use the sting?
I already know about the different length screws-so I won't be making that mistake.

My thoughts about the string were, that they increase the rigidity of the arms slightly, off setting the additional weight...??
Just seemed like a good idea to tie them all together, to reduce the amount of bounce/jiggle that will occur on the arms due to the added weight.
The one thing that concerns me is-a broken string getting into the prop/engine, causing a single engine failure-and bad crash.
Any thoughts?
I'm aware they can get hung up in a tree.....other than that-good idea or bad idea to use the string?

Reactions: Jimbocom
My thought is that the string that comes with the guards is pretty strong. If tied tightly and properly, it would help spread the force of an impact out, possibly protecting the guard and/or the arm where it attaches.

I'm no physicist thought.

dkr77573 said:
My thought is that the string that comes with the guards is pretty strong. If tied tightly and properly, it would help spread the force of an impact out, possibly protecting the guard and/or the arm where it attaches.

I'm no physicist thought.
I thought so too. Now the question is; should I just run 1 length of the string through all 4 holes and tie it off, or cut four pieces, and tie each to the other guard?

run the string through all 4 prop guards via the two holes on the side of each prop guard. Tie it off. Then you will see some "teeth" under the prop guard where you can pull the strings onto to tighten them. I liked mine tight. Should you hit a pole, it will prevent the pole from going right between the prop guards and thus crashing the phantom. You can take the prop guards off and not cut the string, thats what I did.

Ksc said:
run the string through all 4 prop guards via the two holes on the side of each prop guard. Tie it off. Then you will see some "teeth" under the prop guard where you can pull the strings onto to tighten them. I liked mine tight. Should you hit a pole, it will prevent the pole from going right between the prop guards and thus crashing the phantom. You can take the prop guards off and not cut the string, thats what I did.
Cool...good information, thank you. I like the idea of protecting the props-especially since I have exactly 0 hours of flight time on my yet to be delivered Phantom. UPS says Today....but, I think it's spending the night in Phoenix!! Bummer....and, the weather doesn't look great for the weekend.

The strings are to prevent obstacles like poles from going between the guards. I think the strength argument is a little soft as it only protects them on one plane of force. It might be problematic if you are shooting video as it will go right through your shot.

Idahomojo said:
The strings are to prevent obstacles like poles from going between the guards. I think the strength argument is a little soft as it only protects them on one plane of force. It might be problematic if you are shooting video as it will go right through your shot.
At what angle? I have the Zenous(sp?) Gimbal; shooting 1080P/60-medium. I think if I have to go that high, I would also catch the tips of the props and part of the gear in my shot? Am I wrong-does the string hang that low in the front?

havasuphoto said:
Idahomojo said:
At what angle? I have the Zenous(sp?) Gimbal; shooting 1080P/60-medium. I think if I have to go that high, I would also catch the tips of the props and part of the gear in my shot? Am I wrong-does the string hang that low in the front?

When I tried it (no zenmuse though), the string didn't appear in the frame before the propguards.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:
Idahomojo said:

When I tried it (no zenmuse though), the string didn't appear in the frame before the propguards.
Well, my Phantom is on the Brown Truck, "out for Delivery", so I guess we'll see if they appear in mine. Nothing that a pair of scissors out in the field won't fix. Or-just a slight crop in Go Pro Studio.......

It is so thin, you'll never see it. If you do, you can always just leave that portion of the string off.

Installed the prop guards today. Looped the string through all the holes, and pulled it taught against the notches at the bottom of the guard. Didn't tie it off, just felt everything-and came to the conclusion that I was not going to use the sting.
I felt there wasn't really any additional rigidity by adding the string. I also felt it was more of a PITA than it was worth.

For now, I'll just run prop guards. Made my first flight yesterday-without the guards-was running out of daylight. No crashes-just made 1 six minute flight-everything worked fine.
Now, it's far too windy...and will be for a few days....great!!! :(

EDIT: just made a discovery-the guards are numbered on the bottom, 1,2,3, and 4. However, mine are matched to the engines that correspond to those numbers. Does it matter? They all looked identical too me-and everything looks symmetrical. The props at one point in there swing, just barely clear the guards-but I can't envision a scenario that would cause the prop to flex downward to the point it would hit the guard....has anyone had one that the prop hit the guard?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20