phantom plus salt water

Reaction score
So, I have no money, but my brother decided I need this quad. After about a dozen flights, I splashed down in two feet of salt water, about four feet from shore. It was still blinking the yellow warm up sequence, so I brought it home and rinsed it as best as I could under tap water. Should I tell him what happened and see if it is okay, or see if it is okay, then tell him? Sorta a moral problem, I guess. So???

BTW, don't do a transmitter off test of RTL when you are offshore and low on battery. (Yes, I am on Darwin's short list.)

mogur said:
BTW, don't do a transmitter off test of RTL when you are offshore and low on battery. (Yes, I am on Darwin's short list.)

Only tests I can think of worse then that would be "will it blend" or the trusty old microwave on high for 10 minutes. I honestly cant see how it all went so wrong for you :lol:

Phantom's have been revived after worse dunks than yours, so I'd let it dry out completely and try it again. Salt water is worse than fresh, but if you got it out quickly you *might* be ok.

As it turned out, one ESC had a visibly fried transistor, so I ordered a new ESC and soldered it in. Another ESC then showed itself as also fried, so ordered a second ESC and it is now flying again, but it takes several minutes to get through the warm up sequence (yellow flashing). It has had that long warm up ever since it was new, so don't know what that is about, but my brother has bought two more Phantoms and a Vision since then, so that one is seldom flown anymore.

I also got some CorrosionX waterproofing spray to protect all of the electronics inside from future water tragedies. Haven't splashed down since then, but I've seen videos from multi-rotor hobbyists that spray an ESC with it and run them immersed in a cup of water. Not going to try that test myself, as I have already donated my share of stupidity to science.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers