Phantom pilots in Edmonton, AB

Reaction score
Any Phantom owners/operators want to meet up for coffee on Saturday, October 31, 2015 at the Tim Hortons 50 St./167 Ave.?

I was thinking about 10:00 a.m?

Drinking coffee alone was......boring. I did a lot of flying to get the caffeine out of my system though :) At +7 deg. C, I guess I couldn't ask for better at this time of year.

My first shot at the carbon fiber reinforced props. Not sure if this was the placebo effect, but I did have marginally longer flight times. I do have some ND filters I was itching to try, but burnt through all three batteries before I remembered. Oh well another time. The AE lock works quite well though

Hope to see you'll out there...... If someone else wants to call a time to meet again, I'm in.

Binoy

So far I know it's illegal to flight in national parks. But in cities I didn't find any published legal restrictions. Only stay away from people, don't distract drivers and don't fly higher 90m

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That's incorrect homie. Check the Transport Canada website, they go over it in detail. Can not fly around people, animals, buildings, structures or vehicles. Not near populated areas or within 9 km from an airport.

Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

This link has the very basics but from there you can go further into the rules and regulations.

Yup. Read it. 150m away from people or near crowds. and don't distract drivers.

Yup. Read it. 150m away from people or near crowds. and don't distract drivers.

Keep in mind the part in the Transport Canada regulations where they layout the 5nm from a "built up area". It is because of this rule that some people have been getting in trouble and or fined...Its like they try to make this **** as confusing as possible lol. I have asked Edmontons local TC office and he has confirmed, they do not allow drone use within any city limits unless SFOC has been filed and approved.

Advisory Circular (AC) No. 600-004 - Transport Canada

1. The pilot operating under this exemption shall only operate a UAV at least five (5) nautical miles away from a built-up area.
    • Note: UAVs operated under these exemptions are not required to meet any technical airworthiness standards meaning that there is no assurance of the airworthiness or capabilities of the UAV system. This increases the risks to persons and property on the ground, therefore, UAVs must not be operated near populated areas. Built-up areas are considered areas with groups of buildings or dwellings including anything from small hamlets to major cities. Anything larger than a farmstead should be considered a built up area.

Basically you can't drive anywhere unless you drive 40m away from city.
What about model hobby clubs? They are flying I saw some clubs in city limit.

By the way. This link you gave me isn't a law. It just a guide line I guess you can call it recommendation.

First paragraph:

An Advisory Circular (AC) provides information and guidance with regards to a specific issue or law. In this case, it provides general guidance, safety practices and explanatory information for operators of unmanned air vehicle (UAV) systems operating under an exemption to Sections 602.41 and 603.66 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs).

I don't really think they can give you fine unless you crush in to something.

I'm in Edmonton as well, anyone would like to meet up or exchange ideas feel free to contact me, I would be more that happy to meet up and fly in formation lol

Are there any meet ups goign on in Edmonton area? Or is it still too cold for any decent flights yet? I would not mind at all getting together with others for coffee....

Is this group still active? Where are some spots you guys usually fly considering the rules? I'd love some new ideas and spots to explore

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers