Phantom P3P at 12,058 feet

Reaction score
You read correctly, 12,058 feet... above Sea Level anyway :D On my way through Colorado and happened to go over Loveland Pass: 11,990 feet ASL.

It was blowing pretty hard... 25+ with gusts here and there... I almost did not take off, but I was curious as to how it would fly and behave and would probably not have this opportunity for a while... I only had the nerve to go up about 60 feet AGL - I did not want to be hiking down the mountain side if the P3 could not handle the wind.

Amazingly it took off no problem. The wind did keep me busy and even using GPS mode it still wanted to drift, especially when I did a 360 pan shot it drifted about 75 feet down wind.

Had it been calm I would have had no fear of flying around at that altitude... although I'm sure the flight time would be diminished slightly. I only flew 7 minutes.... it was all my nerves could take the wind was just getting out of hand.

Here is a screen shot - not able to post video at the moment...

Attachments

• LovelandPassAerial.jpg
    LovelandPassAerial.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 525
Did you get there on your horse Whiskey ? Anyway, good to see you took time and got off your mount. I've been there several times. That's a beautiful place and I'm curious to see your video. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I know the "record" is over 16,000 feet above MSL... somewhere in Nepal I think...

Last edited:
What antenna range extender system are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
None.... I was 60 feet AGL (above ground level)... and about 500 feet away.... my point of the flight was high altitude flight above mean sea level (MSL) to see how the Phantom does in thin air - not high altitude AGL. I would not attempt or condone flight in "restricted" air space hundreds or thousands of feet AGL...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20