Phantom Owners that now have Typhoon H

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting opinions from Phantom 3/4 owners that now own a Typhoon H. Reviews from people on youtube don't do much for me. I'd like to know more about the details of how the craft performs in comparison to a Phantom 3 or 4.

I saw a comment from another thread, I'm sure some of you share this thought. I wanted to offer my current feelings about the thought and see what others think.

I will say this, when I saw the Typhoon H's flying I was a little envious, dang I like the TX and the way it looks, when I saw the tilted horizon, I felt much better lol. I don't know if that's right to feel that way, I personally would love to have a typhoon H
I have no interest in TH for these reasons:
1. It's too big. You can't carry it on an airplane for vacation or business trips. It must be checked, and you'd need to carry on the batteries to be FAA compliant.
2. The 7" display is too small, I like my big iPad Air2 display much better. On my P3P I use an iPad mini, and that's OK too, but I prefer the Air2 that I use with my P4
3. No Lightbridge. TH appears to be limited to about 3000 to 5000' range. Wifi technology wasn't designed to transmit video from a moving airborne craft to ground. Lightbridge was.
4. It's more awkward to backpack, but they do offer a good looking backpack, it's just big.

I owned a Typhoon Q500+. After I bought a P3P I sold the Typhoon. The Q was a good trainer, but it was quirky, slow, and big. The quality didn't seem as good a P3P, flimsy feeling. I received a DOA gimbal on the Q, but that was replaced by Yuneec in less than a week, great service. That craft flew almost whisper quiet, extremely quiet when flying, about 1/4 the sound produced by the BEE HIVE BUZZ of the Phantom line. I miss the hush performance from that bird.

I thought about the size myself. It's funny as it looks flimsy to me too, and it just seems easy to break. The arms look like spaghetti to me lol but they are CF.
The inspire is $1999 right now, vs the H that's a no brainer. The loss of a motor is intriguing for sure, and I thought they were less noisy, seems they are. The carrying onboard thing doesn't concern me, I enjoy the drive when I travel, which is twice a year to Chicago no matter what, not really a vacation, something I have to do, but ease of setup and time to do it is noticeably less with a P4

all I can say is its pretty awesome
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I saw one a week or two at my local hobby shop. Not calling it a bad bird but it just doesn't push my buttons. The P4 does it for me right now, but if Autel continues on the right path, I may go with them in a generation or two.

I saw one a week or two at my local hobby shop. Not calling it a bad bird but it just doesn't push my buttons. The P4 does it for me right now, but if Autel continues on the right path, I may go with them in a generation or two.
People are speaking good things about Autel, but they still use Wifi for video comm. Until someone comes out with a competitive product that uses something analogous to Lightbridge to easily go past the 2mi range (like Lightbridge does), I'm not interested. I have a feeling Broadcom will do this, make drone flight and comm systems for drones, providing building blocks that will "go the distance". Broadcom is uniquely qualified in the communications business to compete with Lightbridge, and last January at CES Broadcom exhibited their first products and expressed desire to get into the drone components business, offering a family of building blocks (boards). All they need now is a "Lightbridge-like" video comm solution.

I will have one soon and will give you my trustful thoughts. Of course I thought I would have had it weeks ago but I'll have it soon.

People are speaking good things about Autel, but they still use Wifi for video comm. Until someone comes out with a competitive product that uses something analogous to Lightbridge to easily go past the 2mi range (like Lightbridge does), I'm not interested. I have a feeling Broadcom will do this, make drone flight and comm systems for drones, providing building blocks that will "go the distance". Broadcom is uniquely qualified in the communications business to compete with Lightbridge, and last January at CES Broadcom exhibited their first products and expressed desire to get into the drone components business, offering a family of building blocks (boards). All they need now is a "Lightbridge-like" video comm solution.
Yep, that's why I'm hoping a generation or two will up its game. Last night, I saw this video of a guy in Florida who went over 2 miles. It is a boring video but it shows the Autel going out almost as far as I have with my P4, which is about 2.6.

x star premium doesn't hook to wifi is more like Lightbridge

no I have one and I don't hook to wifi it hooks up just like p3a and p3p same way I even have wifi turned off

now the x star standard one hooks to wifi but premium doesnt

no I have one and I don't hook to wifi it hooks up just like p3a and p3p same way I even have wifi turned off
I'm not talking about the routine to connect to the craft, I'm talking about the technology used for the control and video communication. Yuneec uses Wi-Fi, almost everyone uses Wi-Fi, except DJI. Wi-Fi uses Wi-Fi protocol TCPIP, which adds to communications overhead, more temperamental, always resending packets if the checksum doesn't match. This overhead bogs things down and can lower video latency, but more importantly limits the range capability.

My Yuneec Q500+ would take an extra long time to link the RC to the camera during the initialization process. And if you lost the video link in flight, it took a long time to relink, about 30-45sec.

Last edited:
range is no problem gets just as good as p3a

Video Link Frequency
902 MHz~928 MHz that's why range is good

Here you go typhoon lovers....
that was funny like little ants dancing around

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic