Phantom out of control and crashes

Reaction score
Hi there , new phantom pilot , used to fly helicopter a few years back , anyway saw the phantom vision really got me hooked , so I bought one , on third flight took it out all the usual pre flight checks , full battery , green lights gps on , took off flying forward,backwards , side to side , and spinning both direction , I flown it around for about 15 mins when I noticed it was going out of control , I started to bring it back , but it went into a spin and crashed into the lake near by , still not Been able to retrieve it , I have been on to the shop where I bought , not to much help , is there anything I can do , do I have rights to get my money back ?
Or is it just tuff luck , love here if any of you guys out there have had similar happen to them ?.. , Dave North Wales , U.K

Really sorry to hear that Dave.

Can you let us know a few things: had you updated your firmware (including the transmitter)?
Had you changed from Vision mode to NAZA mode using the Assistant Software?
When was the last time you calibrated the compass?
Did you get any warnings, either on the app or via the flashing LEDs on the Vision?
When you noticed it was going out of control, please describe what it was doing?
You said you tried to bring it back but it went into a spin - a bit more detail please?
Were there any possible sources of interference in the area - phone masts, high tension electricity lines, etc?

You sure you didn't throw or damage a prop or motor? Spin usually means your asymmetrical.

Wow that sucks, I guess that's why dji reccomends staying away from water. My phantom 2 is three flights in and running great so far (knock on wood) hopefully my luck will hold out. I hope you can retrieve your phantom but if not I would look into filing a claim with the insurance provided with your credit card company.

Pull_Up said:
Really sorry to hear that Dave.

Can you let us know a few things: had you updated your firmware (including the transmitter)?
Had you changed from Vision mode to NAZA mode using the Assistant Software?
When was the last time you calibrated the compass?
Did you get any warnings, either on the app or via the flashing LEDs on the Vision?
When you noticed it was going out of control, please describe what it was doing?
You said you tried to bring it back but it went into a spin - a bit more detail please?
Were there any possible sources of interference in the area - phone masts, high tension electricity lines, etc?

No never updated firmware on either , bought it a few weeks back , had a couple of flights , went on holiday , came back and could not wait to get out again , just did my usual flight checks , didn't,t realise there was an up date for it , but should that have made a difference ?? , not changed any modes on it , I did the compass calibration when I first got it to set it up , thought that was it to be honest , the only warning I got was when it started drifting to the left as I was flying it away from me , so I gave it a bit of rudder to fly it straight , then managed to turn it around and started to fly it back , but before I could get it closer and land it , it started spinning and going down , I gave it full throttle to gain more height but it did not respond I lost control of it and it spun into the lake , it as if a motor failed or something , there is not over head wires or phone masts near wheee I was flying it , i,m so so gutted , I am thinking of getting another one , but I,ll have to save a bit more money ,lol, thanks for the feed back guys ,

Before I go , would it be worth it for me to upgrade my next phantom with the T motor MN2214-920KV , are they really a lot better quality , not bothered about the extra expense , not when it might bring my next phantom back to me in one piece ?????

Sorry to hear about your loss Daveleeperry. You are not alone. There are a few of us on here that have experienced the same thing.

The spinning descent is the odd one - it does smack more of a mechanical/electrical failure, rather than flyaway or pilot error. If you can retrieve it and prove that then I think you might have a good case for a refund as not fit for purpose/manufacturing defect. It's the proving it that might be difficult...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj