Phantom One - Elan Valley, Wales

Reaction score
Hi everyone :D

Thought I'd share the first aerial footage from my Phantom 2, using my recently-installed FPV kit - shot during an early morning flight over the Claerwen reservoir and dam site in the beautiful Elan Valley, Wales.

https://vimeo.com/114336722

Quad: DJI Phantom 2 w/ H3-3D gimbal
Camera: GoPro Hero 3+ Black
Display: Flysight Black Pearl 7" LCD
Telemetry: DJI iOSD Mini
Transmitter: ImmersionRC 25mW 5.8 GHz
Antennas: ImmersionRC SpiroNet 5.8GHz cloverleafs

Edited in Adobe Premiere, graded in Lightroom, output in 12:5 letterbox aspect at 1080p.

Happy to answer any questions on my post-production process, though it's very basic.

Cheers!

Thom

Lovely video Thomas, Elan Valley, lovely area. We often have a drive through and onto Devils bridge, maybe I shall take my Phantom next time. Keep up the great work well done. Regards

Nice video, im hoping to get over to Wales after xmas and get some video of my own.

Hi! fantastic video and I'm really interested in your grading process, I usually grade directly in premiere but looking at this and also owning Lightroom for photo editing I'm starting to think Lr might be a better and more precise option. Did you grade after exporting from Pr or is there a way to open the Pr files as they are in Lr as to keep the RAW files? Thanks in advance.

Hi mynameisgordy, I come from a photography background and love working in Lightroom - so to grade video, I usually export my base edit from Premiere as a JPEG or TIFF still image sequence, import the sequence in to Lightroom and then grade from there. I used the VSCO series of plugins for Lightroom on this video, which emulate classic film stock. Once finished, I just swap the video files out in my edit with the graded image sequence.

Are those plugins free? and also when editing as a sequence, do you need to edit the frames one by one or can you edit them all together?

@Tbarnes How do you like your antennas? I have same set up but with cheap ones. Im about to get a set. Did they make a big difference?

mynameisgordy said:
Are those plugins free? and also when editing as a sequence, do you need to edit the frames one by one or can you edit them all together?

Sadly not, they're paid for - http://vsco.co/ - they just give you a few more camera profile options to play with and presets for curves, tones etc. that you can adapt.

You can edit the frames all together - I have Lightroom set to auto-sync any changes I make on one image to the whole (or part) of the sequence, so it's a very quick workflow. You can enable this in the 'develop' module, or hit 'sync' to manually sync the settings from one frame across many. You can also now import video files in to Lightroom with the latest version, if you prefer.

Zoeconner said:
@Tbarnes How do you like your antennas? I have same set up but with cheap ones. Im about to get a set. Did they make a big difference?

I do hear very good things about these antennas, but as they're the only ones I've ever used for FPV I can't really say :lol:

tbarnes said:
Hi mynameisgordy, I come from a photography background and love working in Lightroom - so to grade video, I usually export my base edit from Premiere as a JPEG or TIFF still image sequence, import the sequence in to Lightroom and then grade from there. I used the VSCO series of plugins for Lightroom on this video, which emulate classic film stock. Once finished, I just swap the video files out in my edit with the graded image sequence.

This is an interesting idea - essentially turning it into something like a series of timelapse sequences?
Will try later ...

4wd said:
tbarnes said:

This is an interesting idea - essentially turning it into something like a series of timelapse sequences?
Will try later ...

Exactly right! I work for a timelapse company (www.lobsterpictures.tv) so habitually translate everything in to image sequences :D Feels most familiar to me!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj