Phantom on a Plane

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im leaving for SFO tomorrow and have planned to take my Phantom in an a approved carryon case with 5 batteries.
I just got a funny feeling about the batteries on carry on and am now worried.

I guess I should know since I fly corporate jets but hell, we allow anything.

Anybody have experience with this and airlines?

Tried to call TSA and that was a bust.

E

It's not a problem. I fly with video gear and TONS of batteries all the time. On the TSA website, they specifically mention LiPo's and they are not a problem in the cabin. They don't like them being checked however...

So long as they are going into the cabin, they should permit them, if you have any hassles, point out that if you put them in you checked luggage, and anything happens, no one will see, however if you carry them aboard yourself, worst case scenario, you and the flight crew can attend to any flames etc.

Ok, I will give it a try.

Thanks for everyones reply.

Will report the outcome.

E

Driffill said:
point out that if you put them in you checked luggage, and anything happens, no one will see, however if you carry them aboard yourself, worst case scenario, you and the flight crew can attend to any flames etc.
...I don't think it would be wise to mention anything to the TSA about the possibility of danger or flames...

Darrell1 said:
Driffill said:
point out that if you put them in you checked luggage, and anything happens, no one will see, however if you carry them aboard yourself, worst case scenario, you and the flight crew can attend to any flames etc.
...I don't think it would be wise to mention anything to the TSA about the possibility of danger or flames...

But that would be the only reasons why they won't want them on the flight. if they don't know anything about the possibilities of them catching fire, then they won't have any issue with you taking em on :)

If they point out its "dangerous goods", point out its better to hold them in your pocket than in the galley of the airplane. Also point out hundreds of those lipo batteries travel by plane in cargo while in postage, I myself received two yesterday from Hong Kong, sent via air mail!

FYI. No issues at ATL airport. They didn't blink. Phantom case with 5 batteries. All is well.
I quests if I flew down the isle of the 767 they might have a issue. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are specific regs and recommendations published by the TSA for carrying All kinds of batteries, including LIPO's on airplanes. I had at least two links and now can't find them. If I could figure out how to use spotlight on this stupid iPad I could look them up maybe. I have seen them, though, andu they deal with exactly what is being talked about here. Use Google and I'm sure you will come up with the links.

OK, here is what I was looking for;

http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_batteries.html

The page has some general information, and then links to specifics about different batteries and the rules for both carry-on and luggage transport. It's not a TSA site, but it is a ".gov" site, so I guess it's official.

Nonetheless, I just took took my Phantom and batteries in luggage coast to coast on US Airways with nothing being said. I still feel a little funny about taking LIPOs on my flight, and in the future I think I will buy a battery bag for transport.

Tsa didn't look twice. My wife got checked with a swab because or dog travels with us. Me, I just strolled threw with no issues.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate digging up old topics, but this seemed like a good place to ask.

How did you travel with the phantom? I'm just planning on bringing it in a back pack and protecting it with some clothes around it - battery will be inside. I have a spare too that I was going to put in a case as well.

Also wondering about the transmitter - did you just take that carry on as well? Planning on taking to the BVI for a week long trip to get some aerial shots! :)

Thanks in advance!

Same as everyone else... just bring your case and all the batteries as your carry-on and they most likely won't even bat at eye when you walk through customs. I've been through this drill four times so far, only been asked what "That thing is" once lol They didn't even mention the 6 LiPo batteries ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.