Phantom mode vs Naza-M/IOC mode

Reaction score
I was just wondering what mode others prefer. The weather here has been pouring rain and windy so haven't had a chance to do anything but watch videos and TV...lol. Anyway I am thinking just for kicks and giggles trying the Naza mode because if offers a few other features. Still learning what's best for me.

I haven't flown in Naza mode yet due to bad weather here but looking forwarded to trying it. What did you like about it and did you think it handled better than Phantom mode?

I doubt many people who have switched to NAZA mode have decided to switch back to Phantom Mode. NAZA doesn't change things but offers options to change things. If you just leave it to fly in GPS, it will handle exactly the same as Phantom Mode. But, once you find how useful IOC can be, you will realize why we like NAZA mode.

Just think of NAZA as unlocking all the options. DJI feels that you should learn to fly without all those distractions, because you could make mistake on what switch is where, and end up crashing. That is why they ship it in Phantom mode, and you have to go and make a software change to use NAZA mode.

So, it's not an "either/or" thing between Phantom vs NAZA. Switching to NAZA mode still leaves you the option to fly in GPS, which will be exactly like Phantom Mode.

Be sure you study the manual and really understand how the different IOC flights work. It's easy to get confused when you first start out flipping those switches.

+1 Agree with doug86. Two handy posibilities of the Naza mode are the home lock mode that is particularly usefull as you get confused with the orientation of the bird and you want to bring it home quikely and the corse lock mode is particularly useful if you want to film or take picture of object that are in paralell of your course of flight.
Regards FA

I went NAZA after fear about from the dji manual saying you needed to be a experienced pilot. After properly setting up the controller and realized I would have a different light sequence to follow, I was good to go. From that 1st flight I knew I would not be returning back to phantom mode, and I never have.

Well for me after reading the other options to me it would be better to fly in the Naza mode. I also like the return home feature and how they have it programmed. But again I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet. The weather here on Friday and this weekend will be cold, no rain or wind I hope/ but at least I can try it and see what kind of damage I can do. Thanks for the input that you guys offered.

+2 for Doug. I switched the other day after reading & watching videos on it. With S1&2 switches in the up position, you have phantom mode like right out of the box. With naza, I love the home lock. Just switch to S2 & no matter where you are & what direction, just hold right stick down & she will come back to you. Pretty cool. I love the flashing lights too :D

+3 for doug86. Well described.

saao said:
But if I am not mistaken home lock is also based in Gps so if you loose GPs it won't fly back to you?
Correct, both home lock and course lock need gps/satelite connection. Without gps/satelite connection, you are depending on Atti mode. Therefore, after you have masterd regular GPS mode, you should start practise att mode firts to be prepared for situation in which you might lose satelite connection. Beware, soon or later, we all will encounter situations in which we accidently loose satelites.
Regards FA

aartsf said:
saao said:
But if I am not mistaken home lock is also based in Gps so if you loose GPs it won't fly back to you?
Correct, both home lock and course lock need gps/satelite connection. Without gps/satelite connection, you are depending on Atti mode. Therefore, after you have masterd regular GPS mode, you should start practise att mode firts to be prepared for situation in which you might lose satelite connection. Beware, soon or later, we all will encounter situations in which we accidently loose satelites.
Regards FA

But you see that's the biggest problem in a situation where u lose fpv due to engaging in a long distance flight and u don't no where your quad is home lock is the best option now if by any chance you loose gps your doomed

Correct again, therefore don't fly long-distance flight if you have only marginal GPS-lock (like only 6 satelites); 7 is minimal for long distance flights in my opinion, but a prefer 8 or more.

aartsf said:
Correct again, therefore don't fly long-distance flight if you have only marginal GPS-lock (like only 6 satelites); 7 is minimal for long distance flights in my opinion, but a prefer 8 or more.

What I have seen so far is that Gps is the main issue people who have done the foil method like me and get good sats everything is fine and who have got new versions with the better shielding else things can be nasty cause most of the features are dependant on Gps I hope dji Fixes this issue

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj