Phantom mode and Flyaways - do they happen

Reaction score
So,
I am not one to fly the drone 1/2 -1.2 miles aways. I don't like losing site of the thing. at least not at this point maybe after 300 good flights i'd risk it. Anyway, that said, I have left mine exactly how it was configured in the factory, didn't update two firmware updates it could have one on the bird and one on the controller. I never fly in NAZA mode because as much as i would love home lock Im thinking there is something wrong with how it communicates or remembers home lock and I'm not taking that chance. So, with line of sight with decent GPS signals..over 8 satellites has anyone had a flyaway, just flying it. So far its been working out for me and i plan hopefully to keep it that way. Just curious if flyways occur if your not using home lock and stay away from NAZA?

flyaways happen in both naza and phantom modes.

Most of the time they are due to pilot error.

as for your idea of not using RTH, RTH is just the phantom returning to its home location via GPS. Remember that Phantom mode means the phantom is ALWAYS in GPS mode and your phantom keeps its position by its known GPS location. If a GPS error was to occur and the phantom didn't know where it was and what way it should be going there is no way to turn GPS mode while running in Phantom mode. Naza mode gives you the option to disable GPS if needed and hopefully recover if you had an actual GPS caused flyaway.

You have understand naza mode is normal , it what the majority of dji flyers use. And fly always happen , a lot pilot error and , who knows what , radio interference , solar flares ???
Seriously do you see some of the dumbshit people do with these quads ? Do you think some of these people can figure out how set it up right ?
Did you at least calibrate you compass?

mori55,
I try to calibrate, but as i said in previous posts..it doesn't seem to be working that great...sometimes i get the green lights rotating it horizontally, but then moving it vertically its just blinks yellow..but if i leave it on the ground I wait till it flashes slowly green and check my satellites before taking off...and so far so good.

You need to take your time and figure how to do this. Plenty of you tube videos. .. That thing is probally calibrated for somewhere in china. YOU need to learn how to use the assistant , to check you settings. By being so cautious , your going to up your chances of something going wrong.
There are some many videos out there of using the assitant , calibrating , using home lock , course lock etc.
Calibrate , calibrate.
Vertically you point the nose down and just spin clockwise like a top until the lights change.
Watch this, do it outside away from power lines and any metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lROOdkwE ... ata_player

abacus01 said:
So,
I never fly in NAZA mode because as much as i would love home lock Im thinking there is something wrong with how it communicates or remembers home lock and I'm not taking that chance. Just curious if flyways occur if your not using home lock and stay away from NAZA?

MikesTooLz said:
as for your idea of not using RTH, RTH is just the phantom returning to its home location via GPS.

This is just a pet peeve of mine, but can we please be careful not to confuse "Return to Home" (RTH) and "Home Lock" ?

RTH is also known as "Failsafe", and it refers to the Phantom flying itself back to the "Home Point" after losing the signal from the transmitter (either by the operator actually turning off the TX, the bird flying beyond the signal, or the operator choosing to command a RTH when in NAZA mode using the S1 switch) This feature is usable whether you fly in "Vision Mode" (the factory default) or "NAZA" mode.

Home Lock is a feature that allows the pilot to easily fly the Phantom in a straight line between the phantom's position and the "Home Point" without any regard for which way the Phantom is pointing. Enabling Home Lock means you can bring the Phantom to the Home Point by simply pulling the right stick down; it's like saying "here kitty kitty" to your phantom. This feature is really great if you lose orientation and sight of the quad, and you don't know which way is forward. With Home Lock enabled, you don't need to know. This feature is only available to those who have configured their system to fly in NAZA mode with their software assistant.

The terms are not interchangeable. I see this confusion on the boards a lot, and it can be really confusing to new pilots.

Cheers! d86

doug86 said:
abacus01 said:
So,
I never fly in NAZA mode because as much as i would love home lock Im thinking there is something wrong with how it communicates or remembers home lock and I'm not taking that chance. Just curious if flyways occur if your not using home lock and stay away from NAZA?

MikesTooLz said:
as for your idea of not using RTH, RTH is just the phantom returning to its home location via GPS.

This is just a pet peeve of mine, but can we please be careful not to confuse "Return to Home" (RTH) and "Home Lock" ?

RTH is also known as "Failsafe", and it refers to the Phantom flying itself back to the "Home Point" after losing the signal from the transmitter (either by the operator actually turning off the TX, the bird flying beyond the signal, or the operator choosing to command a RTH when in NAZA mode using the S1 switch) This feature is usable whether you fly in "Vision Mode" (the factory default) or "NAZA" mode.

Home Lock is a feature that allows the pilot to easily fly the Phantom in a straight line between the phantom's position and the "Home Point" without any regard for which way the Phantom is pointing. Enabling Home Lock means you can bring the Phantom to the Home Point by simply pulling the right stick down; it's like saying "here kitty kitty" to your phantom. This feature is really great if you lose orientation and sight of the quad, and you don't know which way is forward. With Home Lock enabled, you don't need to know. This feature is only available to those who have configured their system to fly in NAZA mode with their software assistant.

The terms are not interchangeable. I see this confusion on the boards a lot, and it can be really confusing to new pilots.

Cheers! d86

+1 for a clear and concise explanation of this. Thank You!

doug86 said:
abacus01 said:
So,

MikesTooLz said:

Cheers! d86

what about our statements made you think we didn't know the difference between home lock and return to home?

XL-Studios said:
Without NAZA-M and ATTI this fly-away ( http://youtu.be/01mznpa339w ) would have ended really sad! GPS-mode is a disaster when you get <6 satellites!

You can switch to atti in phantom mode as well. You just have to switch out of gps once to regain control from RTH.

btw: GPS Mode without 6 satellies = atti.

I lost my Vision using home lock because i was flying in Atti. I learned later that home lock changes to coarse lock if your s2 switch is in Atti. you have to be in GPS mode for HM lock to work. Just a heads up (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12564)

darkoth23 said:
Unfortunately this is not the case. GPS mode with <6 satellites is a Phantom out of control! You have to select ATTI manually with S1.

XL-Studios said:
darkoth23 said:
Unfortunately this is not the case. GPS mode with <6 satellites is a Phantom out of control! You have to select ATTI manually with S1.
WHAAAAAAT? That would be a serious bug in the DJI firmware. Why on earth would it not be advantageous to have the FCS switch to ATTI automatically with < 6 SATs if S1 is up? That makes no sense to me. Are you sure about that?

RTH without 6 sats = out of control. You could have switched to atti and back to gps to regain control and if the drone has 6 sats more more it will fly as normal if not it is in atti.

BlackTracer said:
XL-Studios said:
darkoth23 said:
WHAAAAAAT? That would be a serious bug in the DJI firmware. Why on earth would it not be advantageous to have the FCS switch to ATTI automatically with < 6 SATs if S1 is up? That makes no sense to me. Are you sure about that?

<6 GPS and it will have not have GPS lock. No GPS lock means it cant properly calculate its exact location and in turn goes into atti mode. In the same way GPS more is regained after its able to get a lock on 6 or more sats.

Just think about it, GPS normally defaults to 0.000Lat & 0.000Lon and updates to its current location once it gets a lock on enough satellites. If the phantom was to do this and remain in GPS mode the whole time trying to maintain its last location but thinking its current location is set to 0.000Lat/0.000Lon(middle of the atlantic ocean) it would then start flying off out of control just as it dose when its hovering and you physically pull the phantom out of its set location, it fights to go back to its last position.

BlackTracer said:
XL-Studios said:
darkoth23 said:
Agree and according to my experience it does not move to ATTi by itself. Maybe someone else can confirm this. I think that if you take off in GPS-mode with less than 6 satellites it should be ATTI?

MikesTooLz said:
<6 GPS and it will have not have GPS lock. No GPS lock means it cant properly calculate its exact location and in turn goes into atti mode. In the same way GPS more is regained after its able to get a lock on 6 or more sats.

Just think about it, GPS normally defaults to 0.000Lat & 0.000Lon and updates to its current location once it gets a lock on enough satellites. If the phantom was to do this and remain in GPS mode the whole time trying to maintain its last location but thinking its current location is set to 0.000Lat/0.000Lon(middle of the atlantic ocean) it would then start flying off out of control just as it dose when its hovering and you physically pull the phantom out of its set location, it fights to go back to its last position.
For me on every occasion when <6 satellites is has been 100% out of control in GPS mode! But a switch to ATTI gained control back.
I am on the latest firmware.

XL-Studios.... that is a serious antenna tower just off that property.... it might of been partially to blame as well as the low count in satellites.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers