Phantom landing in the Drink

Reaction score
I'd thought I'd share this story as it way help others (and no doubt a few chuckles)...

One of my first few P2 flights was in an old paddy with a small 2-3ft wide river running through it. I was flying along the course of the river and got a bit too low. Clipped the slide of the bank and the Phantom, Gopro and gimbal ended up up side down lying at the bottom of the river in 2 foot of water.

It was the second outing with my Gopro and hadnt used the p2 more than half a dozen times or so. Trying to keep blind panic at bay I jumped in and fished out the unit which was completely full of water.

Removed the p2 battery and headed home. Took the Gopro from the gimbal and toweled everything to dry it. Rigged up a low head hairdryer to blow over the lot. Had removed the battery and SD card from the Gopro. It was filled with water. Sadly I didn't even get to see the movie and crash as it wasn't saved in the ad card.

After hair dryer for about 30 mins put the Gopro, gimbal, Phantom and battery in a big bucket of rice and put it in a room running a dehumidifier.

A day and a half later put the battery into the P2. No luck. Tried the Gopro. It sprang into life! Went and got a spare P2 battery and put that in. P2 also fully back to life. After reassembling the gimbal that was fully working too!! Huge relief. The battery would still light up but won't take charge and now it's completely unresponsive. But seems a small price to pay given the circumstance.

Sorry to hear that. Good thing it was freshwater; still a crapshoot but there's a good chance you can recover components, unlike salt water.

Just wondering, do you still have the dead P2 battery? Interested in donating it for the greater good? I've been looking for a crapped out one to test with.

Yes still have the dead battery. I've raised a ticket with dji to see if anything they can do as I live not too far from their factory.

If that's a lost cause you are welcome to . Where are you located?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl