Phantom Issues After Recent Crash

Reaction score
On a recent trip, I brought along my Phantom (1.1.1) and after one successful flight, the Phantom crashed (I forgot to do a compass recalibration which is my fault). I had been planning on swapping two motors out for CW motors anyway so this seemed like an opportunity to do so. Purchased a new shell, new motors, and self tightening props.

After moving the guts of my crashed bird to the new shell and soldering the new motors on, things were looking good. GPS wasn't cracked and there was no apparent damage to the cable leading to the compass.

I reassembled the new Phantom, upgraded the firmware to 4.02, did an advanced IMU calibration, and then recalibrated the compass (outdoors before my first flight).

My first flights were shaky, the Phantom flies although I cannot achieve a stable hover. Its to the point where I am not confident I won't hit the ground even when 10 feet up because it bobs up and down occasionally.

So, I went home, recalibrated my TX sticks (the right one appeared to be very very finnicky before the calibration but this would not account for the changes in altitude). I also decided to reset my gains to 100% for all the values as I wasn't flying with my gimbal or VTx and I had upgraded to P2V self tightening props (I had them at 125% for pitch/roll and 135% for vertical with 100% for all others). Another advanced IMU cali and compass recalibration and were good to go, I hope.

Now I went for another test flight. Things weren't much better. Still have control, slightly better in Atti mode (but not much better) but I do not have a smooth flight. It sounds as if it is constantly correcting to compensate for wind although even in Atti mode. It will then after making an adjustment drop a foot or two (and sometimes more than 5ft). The video of this test flight can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L25rBO0LmSA

My values in the Naza assistant can be seen in the attached screenshot.

I'm unsure why I can't get a stable hover as I have all green with a Home position locked on.

Could it be that my soldering job causing the issue? I do have a low temp soldering iron although I still have flight.
Could I have a bad ESC (or more than one)?
Could I have a stuck Gyro in the Naza (and how can i test this)?

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated. I'm really excited to start flying again when the weather gets nice although this has me disheartened as I cannot attach a gimbal with these sporadic flights.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 6.22.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 6.22.35 PM.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 536
Before jumping to conclusions on your soldering and other points. Load the factory default settings to the craft so you have a "ground zero starting point". Then if problems exist go from there.

EMCSQUAR said:
Before jumping to conclusions on your soldering and other points. Load the factory default settings to the craft so you have a "ground zero starting point". Then if problems exist go from there.

Thanks for the tip because I definitely forgot to do that. After loading the default settings (turning off gimbal and resetting the gains as well) it does fly better. It still is not hovering like it once did. I can get a relative good hover in my horizontal plane but the craft still floats up and down. Is this gain related? Flying responsiveness is fine, although the height issue makes stable flight a challenge.

While the horizontal lock is okay, I still get some drift upon takeoff (forward and to the right) and my yaw changes slightly clockwise (about 30 degrees).

An improvement but still not sure I want to strap a camera to this. If I did I don't think the footage would be great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20