Phantom Is Not Flying Correctly - Help?

Reaction score
Hey guys, before I upgrade my P1 with FPV, Gimbal, OSD and all that jazz I need to figure out why it is not flying properly.

What it does:
-When going forward (stick pushed perfectly straight up), the Phantom veers off to the right a bit.
-Then when letting go of the forward pressure on the stick (to stop the P1 and hover), the thing jumps up in the air about 10-20' and REALLY drifts/moves to the right, until it eventually settles.

Obviously, when coming backward it veers to my left because it is opposite direction, and when letting go of all inputs to hover, it jumps up and runs to (my) left.

It's really frustrating and yes I have calibrated it.

Has anyone heard of this or know what the problem might be! Thanks for anything you can advise!

dollerprod said:
Hey guys, before I upgrade my P1 with FPV, Gimbal, OSD and all that jazz I need to figure out why it is not flying properly.

What it does:
-When going forward (stick pushed perfectly straight up), the Phantom veers off to the right a bit.
-Then when letting go of the forward pressure on the stick (to stop the P1 and hover), the thing jumps up in the air about 10-20' and REALLY drifts/moves to the right, until it eventually settles.

Obviously, when coming backward it veers to my left because it is opposite direction, and when letting go of all inputs to hover, it jumps up and runs to (my) left.

It's really frustrating and yes I have calibrated it.

Has anyone heard of this or know what the problem might be! Thanks for anything you can advise!
Where do you live? It could be a compass declination issue.

The pop up 20' sounds extreme though, that might be something else. How heavy is the phantom? Does it hover well normally, and have you changed your gains?

jthorstad said:
Have you calibrated the controller? Mine was off a bit and behaved similarly.
Hi, yes I did. I think you mean in the NAZAM assistant software, where you move the two 'sticks' around, if so, then yes I have. I have also done the IMU calibration and compass dance.

ElGuano said:
Where do you live? It could be a compass declination issue.
The pop up 20' sounds extreme though, that might be something else. How heavy is the phantom? Does it hover well normally, and have you changed your gains?
It's possible that 20' might be a little exaggerated, but it definitely "jumps up" very noticeably the moment you let go of the stick to bring it to a hover.

I live in Central Florida.
The Phantom is stock weight. There is nothing on it. Not even a GoPro at the moment.
I have not changed any of the gains.
It hovers pretty well I would say, stays in about a 5-10' area. Usually about 5'. Calm winds almost perfectly still.

I really don't recall this happening when I first got the Phantom in December. It is kind of taking the fun out of it because I find myself just going forward and backward just watching this being frustrated about it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj