Phantom II Vision and BTU Bluetooth Module

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been looking for an answer to this question and cannot seem to find an answer anywhere, so here goes: Is it possible to install the DJI BTU Bluetooth dongle/module in a P2V? I would like to use the iOS NM Assistant app via Bluetooth, so settings can be tweaked in the field, etc. At least get my PV2 untethered from the USB hardline connection. I've looked at the PV2 mainboard and while there is no full-size 4-pin CAN-bus connector available (like there is on the P2 landing strut), there is a small 4-pin plug on the board labeled "CAN:"

http://cdn3.volusion.com/cqtga.zbwmr/v/ ... oard-2.jpg

At this point I'm assuming that this "CAN" board socket is a CAN-bus connection. If so, can (no pun intended) it be exploited to use the BTU module for NM Assistant app BT connectivity?

The experimenter in me wants to give it a shot, but I don't want to spin my wheels if it is either a) not doable or b) a stupid idea. I'll take any advice you guys can offer!

Thanks,

Dave

By in "the field" I really meant anywhere away from a desktop/laptop with USB. I would like to try out the NAZA-M function and modes, maybe switch back, and it would definitely be more convienient to change/switch between those settings out in the park/field, instead of having to RTB home to USB connect (I don't have a laptop, just a tablet). Just looking to untether, if possible, and use my iPad or iPhone to tweak the innards. I've been taking my P2V on vacation, and having that mobile BT connectivity would be cool, if not totally lazy.

I figured that if the P2 offers a 4-pin CAN-Bus male connector mounted on a landing strut (for iOSDs, etc.), and that ribbon cable finds a P2P home in the P2 board's "CAN" socket, shouldn't the BTU work connected to the same CAN-Bus socket on my PV2 mainboard? The P2V and P2 appear to share the same mainboard and firmware. I'm probably missing something...maybe it needs the NAZA-M PMU V2 to enable BTU connectivity?:

http://www.helipal.com/dji-naza-m-pmu-v ... fgodc1gA7Q

I suppose it would be easy to find out if one just tried connecting the BTU module directly to a P2's external CAN-Bus connector. Anyway, if not, though, maybe I'll buy a $2.00 4-pin ribbon cable w/plug, connect it to my CAN socket and connect the other end to my BTU module (yes, I already bought it..) via the CAN-Bus cable....and see if the **** thing works!

Of course, I could avoid all this drama if some one else has tried it, and/or knows if it will work..

No, it won't work at least under the current firmware, I bought that CAN Bus external connector for my P2V, try to connect it with the Ground Station but no luck, I also try to plug the bluetooth module that came with the GS to the P2V but still cannot connect it, I think it need firmware upgrade to support it.

xrayone said:
No, it won't work at least under the current firmware, I bought that CAN Bus external connector for my P2V, try to connect it with the Ground Station but no luck, I also try to plug the bluetooth module that came with the GS to the P2V but still cannot connect it, I think it need firmware upgrade to support it.

Well that is disappointing, but good to know and saved me a bunch of time, thanks! Seems a bit short-sighted on DJI's part to have the mobile apps for BT configuration, but not make them available for use with the P2V as well (assuming the P2V mainboard hardware supports it). Guess I'll just standby for any future firmware upgrades...or I'll keep tinkering!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

- Dave

Mini JST to Can-Bus cable. Add Waypoint Ground Station to your original Phantom 2 Vision NOW!...Ok. So I will provide the wiring pin configuration for this cable later this evening. However, for those not interested in soldering or are not DIY types I am selling this cable for $13.00 US. Each one is hand built by me and tested in my own Phantom 2 Vision and Phantom 2 (not plus). This cable along with the firmware upgrade will allow Can-Bus function on these DJi Phantom models through the CAN connector on the PMU board already in your Phantom. you can use it to add 2.4 Ghz Bluetooth module for Ground Station / Way Point operation or mini BT for "in the field" parameter changes using IOS software, or any other function requiring a Can-Bus port. It works! I have it installed on my Phantom 2 Vision I bought back in January and am now enjoying flying completely auto-pilot on 3-4 mile missions. I am setting up a store on eBay and will provide a link in a day or two. If you are interested let me know. so I can order my materials. Remember, I will post instructions on how to make it yourself sometime this weekend.

ghilton001 said:
Mini JST to Can-Bus cable. Add Waypoint Ground Station to your original Phantom 2 Vision NOW!...Ok. So I will provide the wiring pin configuration for this cable later this evening. However, for those not interested in soldering or are not DIY types I am selling this cable for $13.00 US. Each one is hand built by me and tested in my own Phantom 2 Vision and Phantom 2 (not plus). This cable along with the firmware upgrade will allow Can-Bus function on these DJi Phantom models through the CAN connector on the PMU board already in your Phantom. you can use it to add 2.4 Ghz Bluetooth module for Ground Station / Way Point operation or mini BT for "in the field" parameter changes using IOS software, or any other function requiring a Can-Bus port. It works! I have it installed on my Phantom 2 Vision I bought back in January and am now enjoying flying completely auto-pilot on 3-4 mile missions. I am setting up a store on eBay and will provide a link in a day or two. If you are interested let me know. so I can order my materials. Remember, I will post instructions on how to make it yourself sometime this weekend.

gary, i your post of fb this morning..you should make a separate dedicated thread for this.

Was tempted to get

DJI Wireles Datalink Module 2,4G LK24-BT

But I m still on 1.08 and no way to get into 3.0. because all city and even sea is covered bu 5 mile radius no fly zone.
Also Ground Station wont let You make waypoints into non fly zone, so seems useless.
Ground station for Vision requires Naza 3 or 4 firmware, is it same as problematic 3.0?

Just dealkiller this DJI politic :(

Dillinger said:
Was tempted to get

DJI Wireles Datalink Module 2,4G LK24-BT

But I m still on 1.08 and no way to get into 3.0. because all city and even sea is covered bu 5 mile radius no fly zone.
Also Ground Station wont let You make waypoints into non fly zone, so seems useless.
Ground station for Vision requires Naza 3 or 4 firmware, is it same as problematic 3.0?

Just dealkiller this DJI politic :(

There isn't a problem with upgrading and downgrading your firmware as required is there ? If there is a feature in 3.0...can you not install 3.0 ...then when you want to go back to 1.08, its just a matter of re-installing the revision right ?

If so, that's how i'll approach this until the revisions are stable or perhaps, even customizable.

Yes, no problem to switching 1.08 to 3.0 too, but still not possible let phantom fly from waypoint to waypoint. on 1.08 its not working(as I understand it) this groundstation and 3.0 prohibiting flying too. so one or another - no way still out.

I am lack of basic understanding - is the new 3.0(no-flying zone thing) firmware Naza-m firmware?

from DJI's homepage:

Note:

All the firmware of the flight control systems should be upgraded to the latest version.
The firmware of NAZA-M and NAZA-M V2 should be upgraded to version 4.00, which is coming soon

Theoretically, Vision aircraft can be controlled (tilt/roll/yaw/throttle) by Vision app via 2.4G Wifi. It does NOT need 5.8G transmitter and receiver at all, if DJI implement it in the Vision app just like iPad Ground Station app or Lightbridge.

This would solve half of my range problem, as my 5.8G control is always running out of range beyond 3KM.

You ruined my joy of 750 meters I achieved yesterday....

Bad forum

EDIT: just in case- i m not serious, seriously

Pull_Up said:
Wow! Not come across anyone trying to use this with a Vision yet. What settings are you looking to change in the field, btw?

Had the BTU on my Phantom 1, great to be able to adjust via Naza Assistant out in the field. Don't understand why the Vision doesn't have this ability. But would love have it on my mine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj