phantom headlight question

Reaction score
i ordered the headlight before realizing it doesn't plug into my p2v+.
so,,would the light work off a 9 volt battery ?
i don't really want to hard wire it inside.

flybynight said:

I have two, one for the original Phantom and one for my P2. Both came with ends that slip over the battery connections, before you put the battery in. Unfortunately, unless you do some drilling, there is no way to run the wires out.

Yes, it will work with a 9 Volt battery. There will be a drop in brightness, but not too much. I still haven't installed mine, so I can't tell you how long the 9V battery will last. I expect you will get adequate burn times from it.

I was thinking about doing the same or finding a small battery with the right voltage, to mount under the body.

Edit: Welcome to the forum! :)

flybynight said:
yes maybe a lightweight lithium battery and an on/off switch as well.
something rechargable would be nice.

Yes, I agree. :)

I have velcored a 9v lihium batt under the belly and run both dbl wht led landing lights and a red rear flasher. Have done 10 flights and the batt is still at 8.2 volts

Prylar Bek said:
I have velcored a 9v lihium batt under the belly and run both dbl wht led landing lights and a red rear flasher. Have done 10 flights and the batt is still at 8.2 volts

Is it visible in daylight?

If you did decided to ever wire the head light in directly to the p2v the best way to do it would be to use a lipo balance plug. and just use the two outer pins for the + and - then you will have the plug for if you ever want to plug any other 12v thing in to the plug.

Why would you go thru all this trouble when a simple 9v batt will work??

Prylar Bek said:
Why would you go thru all this trouble when a simple 9v batt will work??

When you start adding a lot of mods, you do all you can to keep the weight down. Why strap on another battery when you can use this cable. The draw from an LED is minimal.

When I first saw this cable, I had no idea what it was for:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-2-V ... 1183703900
It took a while before I realized that it's designed to slip over the chassis battery terminals in order to provide a balance connector to power accessories like this.

actually that connecter with the 2 elongated holes is originally meant for led strip light ribbons to be soldered on to or some of them you can just peel back the sticky part and stick the cut end of the ribbon on it. But thats a pretty clever use of it to just use it to stick over the 2 battery prongs on the p2 battery prongs.

flybynight said:

I think we strayed from what you asked. Yes, a 9V battery will work fine. :)

EDIT: But check the end of your wires first. I have three - I forgot about the blue one! One was for the Phantom 1 and the others for the P2. Every one of them came with wire ends that had been stripped of insulation an bent into shapes. At first, I was confused, but then I realized, on the P2 that the rectangular holes slipped over the battery connections inside. They can be seen when the battery is out.

That is what the Ebay cable looks like it was for. No offense meant, but I've worked with LED strips, sold them and I have a large hobby collections. If it is to feed one end of a LED strip, it has to be HIGHLY magnified. Usually, two wires (+/-) are soldered to the end pads, then the connection is heat shrinked.

That is what the Ebay cable looks like it was for. No offense meant, but I've worked with LED strips, sold them and I have a large hobby collections. If it is to feed one end of a LED strip, it has to be HIGHLY magnified.

Dont worry no offense taken at all.

Then led ends on ebay are pretty elongated and are the right size to fit over the p2 battery blades.

Usually, two wires (+/-) are soldered to the end pads, then the connection is heat shrinked.

Ya thats how I have always done them and its more secure and neater then them adhesive pads with the elong gated holes on them. Tho the only time I ever seen them before the phantom headlights and the pre cut led strips that go around a phantoms body and arms was for the same type of led strips that people use for the phantom strip lights. I've also seen them in with other DIY flexible circuit do dads and do hickeys as a solder less means of hooking up power wires.

but so far I think the idea of using them over the battery progs is the best use I have seen for them so far..

J.James said:
That is what the Ebay cable looks like it was for. No offense meant, but I've worked with LED strips, sold them and I have a large hobby collections. If it is to feed one end of a LED strip, it has to be HIGHLY magnified.

Dont worry no offense taken at all.

Then led ends on ebay are pretty elongated and are the right size to fit over the p2 battery blades.

Usually, two wires (+/-) are soldered to the end pads, then the connection is heat shrinked.

Ya thats how I have always done them and its more secure and neater then them adhesive pads with the elong gated holes on them. Tho the only time I ever seen them before the phantom headlights and the pre cut led strips that go around a phantoms body and arms was for the same type of led strips that people use for the phantom strip lights. I've also seen them in with other DIY flexible circuit do dads and do hickeys as a solder less means of hooking up power wires

but so far I think the idea of using them over the battery progs is the best use I have seen for them so far..

Yes, it is kinda neat. Mi also have a stick on LED strip, like you were referring to, that sticks and conforms to the shell. Well, actually, I have two! One opis blue, the other is RGB with IR controller remote and the lighting effects are almost endless! Want a UFO look? This will do the job. Plus, I'll be adding extremely bright white strobes for top and bottom.

It was meant for automotive use as a wig wag approach. Once I get the PCB out of the big black cover, no screws! What is neat is they put these in a case with a button so you can see how they work. I'm going to start by using this very tiny battery, just to see how long it lasts! Then, I'll replace it with another or wire it to the Phantom's 11.1VDC source.

PhantomFanatic said:
Yes, it is kinda neat. Mi also have a stick on LED strip, like you were referring to, that sticks and conforms to the shell. Well, actually, I have two! One opis blue, the other is RGB with IR controller remote and the lighting effects are almost endless! Want a UFO look? This will do the job. Plus, I'll be adding extremely bright white strobes for top and bottom.

It was meant for automotive use as a wig wag approach. Once I get the PCB out of the big black cover, no screws! What is neat is they put these in a case with a button so you can see how they work. I'm going to start by using this very tiny battery, just to see how long it lasts! Then, I'll replace it with another or wire it to the Phantom's 11.1VDC source.

I wanna see pictures/video of the UFO!

terrylowe said:
PhantomFanatic said:

I wanna see pictures/video of the UFO!

Well, I tested the strip and I was amazed! I also have a longer one meant for another project. The problem is that I want to add FPV, a tracker, etc. but, this strip goes right over where the top and bottom shells meet! But, because of lack of funds, it will be a while before I can buy the parts. I'm also a bit worried as it is still under warranty and I don't know if opening it up voids the warranty.

It says otherwise in the manual, but there was a post here where the poster was told by DJI that since his Phantom had been opened, it voided his warranty. So, I don't know what to believe! Plus, reading about all the problems experienced here, I'm afraid of voiding the warranty.

BUT, when I add it, I'll post a video of it at night. It will look mighty cool and UFOish! Who knows, I might hang a speaker under it for UFO sound effects! As far as I know, there is no law about making people think they saw a UFO!! :)

It says otherwise in the manual, but there was a post here where the poster was told by DJI that since his Phantom had been opened, it voided his warranty. So, I don't know what to believe! Plus, reading about all the problems experienced here, I'm afraid of voiding the warranty.

That post turned out that worker at uav outlet didn't know what the frig they were talking about and the person that was told that by the misinformed employee posted about it. THEN after a lil while the owner of the place see the post and rectified the situation.

Just opening the shell does not void any thing. Just if you damage any thing by opening the shell they dont cover it under warranty. Tho that just makes sense and would be really messed up if just opening the shell up voided a warranty Being there are a few things that you need to open the shell for and they even some times even give you the 2mm driver when you buy the phantom.

J.James said:

That post turned out that worker at uav outlet didn't know what the frig they were talking about and the person that was told that by the misinformed employee posted about it. THEN after a lil while the owner of the place see the post and rectified the situation.

Just opening the shell does not void any thing. Just if you damage any thing by opening the shell they dont cover it under warranty. Tho that just makes sense and would be really messed up if just opening the shell up voided a warranty Being there are a few things that you need to open the shell for and they even some times even give you the 2mm driver when you buy the phantom.

Then, that is good news! Kinda. I need to drill a small hole, in the shell, for one of the strobes. I wonder if altering the shell is a reason to not accept it under warranty.

I'm probably over concerned as there has to be a greater number of Phantoms working with no problems. But, trying to help people exposes you to a lot of 'stuff' that after a while, kinda makes you nervous. :)

hummmmm Drilling the shell sounds like some thing that "might" void a warranty. I know it does on the controllers and the range extenders. Even tho it dont cause any damage to any thing.

Tho as far as one ever needing real warranty repair most of the time if there is some thing wrong with one thats not some thing caused by the user. Its usually some thing thats apparent either right out of the box or very soon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj