Phantom Has Close Call w/ Plane

Reaction score
Not my video! This dude has a close one with an amphibious plane, it appears. Not sure how he couldn't have noticed the plane unless he either got tunnel vision or was out of LOS. Glad nobody got hurt.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not my video! This dude has a close one with an amphibious plane, it appears. Not sure how he couldn't have noticed the plane unless he either got tunnel vision or was out of LOS. Glad nobody got hurt.

Wow yeh that gettin bit on the lucky side:eek:

I'd imagine since he said it "flew into his FOV" he was either flying by the tablet or via goggles.

THIS is why VLOS is so important for every single one of us.

I'd imagine since he said it "flew into his FOV" he was either flying by the tablet or via goggles.

THIS is why VLOS is so important for every single one of us.

It's all fun and games until you realize you can get somebody killed.

Reactions: BigAl07
It's all fun and games until you realize you can get somebody killed.
Exactly.

Not only is the windscreen on that plane not "impact rated" but when a manned aircraft is Low & Slow on final approach there is practically ZERO room for large changes in pitch or attitude that don't end with a crash.

Wow, that was almost a major screw up. The sunset was a hell of a shot though up until that point.

1. 5.12 Remaining Clear of Other Aircraft. A remote PIC has a responsibility to operate the small UA so it remains clear of and yields to all other aircraft. This is traditionally referred to as “see and avoid.” To satisfy this responsibility, the remote PIC must know the location and flight path of his or her small UA at all times. The remote PIC must be aware of other aircraft, persons, and property in the vicinity of the operating area, and maneuver the small UA to avoid a collision, as well as prevent other aircraft from having to take action to avoid the small UA.

You cannot operate within 5 miles of an airport. And a seaplane base is considered an airport by definition of an intended point of landing for a seaplane.

You cannot operate within 5 miles of an airport. And a seaplane base is considered an airport by definition of an intended point of landing for a seaplane.

You can fly within 5 miles of an airport under hobby rules but you're required to notify the tower if there is one for flying within 5 miles.

And UAS operators are responsible for staying clear of all manned aircraft, not the other way around. Neither is it wise to debate or assume the aircraft was violating some airspace... bottom line... know where the airports and air traffic is at all times. Have spotters. Don't just assume big sky little airplane theory. Fly responsibly. Doctors have a tough enough time flying twin engine light aircraft without some hobbyist who knows next to nothing about air traffic rules irresponsibly flying too close.

Reactions: perki14 and BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31