Phantom guards.

Reaction score
E00DDA96-2604-49CC-876D-15AF73ED5B68.jpg

47F6FD28-1B2B-4FC1-8438-3E88CA30476A.jpg

They arrived this morning! Well made products, lightweight as claimed. These are QD as well, can be attached on/off to the quad within seconds. Unfortunately, weather is poor, couldn't try it out today. Quad looks so much bigger with the prop guards on.

Reactions: Moby
Hey thestone11, those look a lot like the Summitlink quick release guards I had ( I say "had" because I crashed in a swamp and it's unrecoverable), except mine were red and white. I like the red and black scheme. Can we have a peek at the underside to see how they attach to the arms?
Also maybe a linky to where to purchase? Pleeeeeez
:D
Enjoy...

Last edited:
Wow stoner, thanks for the pics and linky. I watched the videos on the site, including the review, and ordered my set stat. So thanks for making me spend more money! ;) Of course, anyone who gets into this hobby should be forewarned, it's gonna happen, usually over and over and over again. But hey! keeps me off the streets and out of the bars :cool:

One thing that sold me immediately on this brand was the fact that the mounting of the receivers only takes TWO screws instead of all four, like the Summitlinks. When I was using Summitlinks, every time I needed to access the inside of the bird, I had to remove sixteen prop guard receiver screws, remove the receivers to get access to the tiny Phillips screw at the end of the arm, then use one screw to reinstall the receivers to hold the motors in place. Major hassle!

So now, if I needed access inside, I would only have to remove half as many screws, ...but wait! there's more good news! While watching the review video, the guy was talking about the procedure I just mentioned and said he didn't know if they would at some point in the future, make a hole over the tiny Phillips screw so you wouldn't have to remove the receivers at all to open the shell. Well, being the frustrated modder that I am, I decided right then and there to mod my prop guard receivers as soon as they arrive, during the install process, an alleviate that problem before it develops.

Oh yeah, one more plus about this brand from Bestem, the color scheme matches the orientation tape on the bird perfectly. With the Summitlinks, the red was a flat red that was OK, but didn't really go well with the orientation tape on the front arms.

From a previous comment in this thread, you'll notice I am currently grounded due to an unrecoverable crash. Well, that's been resolved as well, since I just bought another bird from a member on this site in the classies. So I should be airborne again by next week, but this time I'll not fly without a tracker :rolleyes:

Fly safe, stoner...

I was wondering why prop guards are not used by more flyers? I have read many say they never use them because of performance degradation and the fear of VRS. I have flown for 6 weeks now, almost always with prop guards and have noticed no adverse performance. I understand the aerodynamic impact of prop guards and so agree that it affects performance by adding turbulence, but my Phantom flies like a scalded bat so what little I lose doesn't seem to affect anything.

To me it just makes the Phantom a safer drone. While I never fly around or over people, that doesn't mean the drone couldn't just take off and fly wherever it wants, so why not add a little safety insurance with prop guards?

Unless you are using carbon props, but full speed plastic props aren't as dangerous as you may think. I'd be more concerned about the weight of the phantom falling on someone or causing a car crash than any damage stock props would do to someone.

Good point Mal...falling on someone's noggin would definitely hurt! To compensate for any damage that could be potentially caused by the drone's weight, I practice control maneuvers and adhere to a rigid set of safety standards, and practice, practice, practice! However, I can make my Phantom more safe by flying with prop guards.

I know everyone won't agree with the guards, but it certainly makes me feel more comfortable when I fly. Yesterday I took my brand new v3 out without guards (SummitLinks on order) and I know I just like it better with the guards...

I've purposely put my bare forearm into my plastic props while a friend had the throttle on full. I posted pics last year of the few little scratches I was left with. The props just stopped immediately. It would be a lottery winning shot for you to maybe hit someone in the eye so for that reason guards are out for me

Mal, I actually thought about hand stopping a prop to see what happens, but haven't, yet...

Question - have you noticed any performance issues with props? I realize I probably don't have enough experience to say one way or the other...just wondering if you've noticed a real impact?

I have a v2 with guards and a v3 without so I think I'll take them both out today and see if I can tell any difference.

You don't need to hand stop the props because I normally do stupid things so others don't have to ;)

I couldn't tell you about any differences as I've only ever used stock props, never balanced a set either I just replace them every few months and I've never used guards either so I'm a bad one to give a comparison. I only go on what I've read over the past year or 2 and there seem to be only bad stories when it comes to guards, carbon props and tri-props. I've never had any issues with props at all, we'll not since I started hand catching a few weeks into flying first.

To be honest with you all, I bought the prop guards just because of the look and easier to spot my orientation. I will give it a test flight this weekend and see is there a difference with/without them on.

You can attach four gopros also [emoji4]

Actually, you can. The gopro clip-on was our inspiration. We actually started prototype the guards last June, and went through several prototypes (including a really fancy CNC machined rotating adapter) but decided to go with this design for its durability and snug fit.
We sold out first 400 sets in less than 3 weeks, thanks for all the support! There are 2000 more coming next week. Sorry about the wait...but it'll be well worth it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj