Phantom goes crazy when rotating

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Since I'm new to Phantom and quadcopters I don't know if this behavior is normal or not.

When I am flying with the Phantom and try to do a full rotation on the same exact point (moving only left stick to the right or to the left) the Phantom moves to any of the sides and doesn't stop until I correct it's position.

I could do a full rotation once ( I was flying above 70 feet ) and It didn't show this strange behavior, I didn't crash yet so I don't think it's due to any defective part.

I'm flying in GPS Mode and have already tried to do the IMU Calibration and do the Compass calibration everytime before my flights.

Any suggestion or explanation would be great.

Thanks.

Could it be your small muscle coordination?

I know I try really hard to rotate the Phantom slowly, but not a slowly as I have seen some pilots do it.

GPS mode is safest, although no one is saying they have the flyaway problem solved.

I just wish DJI would admit the fly away problem.

D

This has been discussed here before. It seems, when rotating, GPS is turned off. As soon as you are done rotating, if the wind blew it a distance, it will automatically fly back to where it was when you started the rotation.

We're not sure why it behaves this way.

Could be my fault, I don't know how to fly very well but I'm getting used to.

Actually the question should be if this is a normal behavior since I could do a full rotation once without any kind of fly away problem or if it's just my lack of experience.

Darrell1 said:
This has been discussed here before. It seems, when rotating, GPS is turned off. As soon as you are done rotating, if the wind blew it a distance, it will automatically fly back to where it was when you started the rotation.

We're not sure why it behaves this way.

Well I missed that discussion!

Have always thought my phantom can simply not rotate on the spot but that make sense with my phantoms behaviour when rotating. Most of the times it will drift while rotating on the spot but from memory after I finish rotating it will fly back to the starting point.

Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brunophase said:
No one experiencing the same problem ?

Today will be testing Atti mode to see how it works.

From what I gather, your results in ATTI might be the same as in GPS, - as the craft will drift with the wind.

Ok. Tried the Phantom today and it behaved the same way.
While I'm in GPS mode it stays still, very steady by the way.

The problem shows only when I try to rotate, I'm not convinced that it's the wind and my Phantom doesn't come back to the starting position.

I tried to rotate 45 degrees clockwise and then while I was rotating it started flying on circles slowly, I stopped rotating and it kept flying in circles for 1 minute in a range of 30 feet (I left all sticks, it was supposed to hold position). Until I gave the command to go forward just a bit, the Phantom then seemed to get to the GPS mode again and could then hold postion.

I checked the IMU status and also the Compass values and everything seems to be ok.

For me this is not normal, would like to know if someone has experienced something like this.

Thanks

Mine doesn't do anything like your, if I rotate the drone on the spot most of time it will drift at the same time, 3 or 4 metres max but it will then fly back to its original location. I guess it doesn't lock on position with GPS while rotating but when rotating has stopped it then locks back on to the previous location, a bit annoying really, especially when flying close to object and I need to rotate the phantom.

You say you have done the IMU calibration and compass before flights, try and do the advanced calibration, if possible out on the field just incase you are getting some interference while doing it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31