Phantom Fly Away...reviewing options

Reaction score
Hey all, just had my first ever fly away over an area I've previously not had any problems with. Of course, worst timing as I just formed an LLC and getting some potential clients. I'm now looking into replacements since I can't really go without having one for long now. What's the general opinion on an Inspire vs a Phantom 3 P? It will mainly be used for mapping and photogrammetry work for golf courses and farms.

Would you care to detail the "flyaway" so that others might figure out or learn something from it?

AD

Hey all, just had my first ever fly away over an area I've previously not had any problems with.
What happened?
A lost Phantom is a double loss if you don't learn from the incident to be able to prevent it from happening again.
If you want to understand the cause of the incident or maybe where to look for the Phantom.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

I lost the signal...probably interference from a nearby business, then after waiting a bit for rth to kick in checked the settings in litchi and realized it had somehow reset to hover. This was with 66% battery left, but when I went over to the area it was nowhere that I could find. I'll check the area again tomorrow, it's fairly wooded so I could have missed it earlier.

Personally I wouldn't view this as a "flyaway" with all due respect you failed to check the RTH settings before flying ( make this a necessary part of your pre-flight). The Post description suggests a fail in hardware or software which appears to be unlikely and encourages others to blame their gear rather than their own pre-flight checks or failure to recognise limitations in themselves and equipment!
Please take up the offer of flight log analysis by peeps with very valuable expertise in this discipline on this forum!
You will probably retrieve your Phantom with their help.

I didn't see anywhere in the original post that the OP wanted to discuss what happened or asked for information on how to troubleshoot the fly away. The original question seems quite simple... "What's the general opinion on an Inspire vs a Phantom 3 P?"

And comments like "If you have to ask about which machine to buy you should not be in a business." really shows how ignorant a person can be. A smart business does research. Unfortunately he did it here rather than on a forum where people encourage learning rather than shaming them.

This place is going downhill.

So lets give it another try...
What's the general opinion on an Inspire vs a Phantom 3 P?

Personally I wouldn't view this as a "flyaway" with all due respect you failed to check the RTH settings before flying ( make this a necessary part of your pre-flight). The Post description suggests a fail in hardware or software which appears to be unlikely and encourages others to blame their gear rather than their own pre-flight checks or failure to recognise limitations in themselves and equipment!
Please take up the offer of flight log analysis by peeps with very valuable expertise in this discipline on this forum!
You will probably retrieve your Phantom with their help.
Are you kidding? After a response like "If you have to ask about which machine to buy you should not be in a business." you want the OP to "Please take up the offer of flight log analysis by peeps with very valuable expertise in this discipline on this forum!"?

He can't even get an answer to his original question

Reactions: Chris42
Are you kidding? After a response like "If you have to ask about which machine to buy you should not be in a business." you want the OP to "Please take up the offer of flight log analysis by peeps with very valuable expertise in this discipline on this forum!"?

He can't even get an answer to his original question

You should take the time to read who is posting what before jumping on your high horse and whilst we're here I notice your big on criticism of others and very short on answering the op yourself!

Anytime the word "FlyAway" shows up in a post header, it is logical to assume that there was some sort of problem that appeared to cause that situation.

If the OP wanted an opinion of what to purchase for his business, a better choice of words for the title would have been advised.

As it is, we've at least determined that it was NOT a "FlyAway" and most probably an incorrect RTH setting.

As to the question about which Phantom to purchase as the replacement? For a business that's serious, the Inspire seems to be the way to go and as I've flown my friend's Inspire, it would win hands down over the P3.

AD

What's the general opinion on an Inspire vs a Phantom 3 P? It will mainly be used for mapping and photogrammetry work for golf courses and farms.
There's no simple answer as there are two Inspires and three different cameras for the Inspire.
If you are comparing the Inspire 1 with the X3 camera, the camera is identical to the camera on the Phantom so it would give no advantage photographically.
It would also have the handicaps of shorter flight times and it's cumbersome for transporting.
If you put the quite expensive X5 camera on it, you lose even more flight time.

The bigger and faster Inspire doesn't have many advantages for mapping.
If you are only considering the I1 and P3 pro, you'd be better to go with the P3 for cost, portability and flight time.
The P4 pro would be significantly better.

Reactions: RickRock
Thanks all. The problem was my own impatience, or actually over reacting when it took significantly longer for RTH to kick in than it ever has before. Once almost 10 minutes had gone by on a windless day and no sign of it, I got in the car to go to where it last was. After searching the area I lost contact with it again this morning, I searched near the home location again and it was in fact in a bush a couple of feet from the original home point...fairly well concealed, and the only damage was a chipped propeller. The video cut out long before the actual connection to the remote did, so in fact it probably was the right amount of time to RTH. So, in summary, it probably performed exactly as it should have and I should have been tracking the time better.

You should take the time to read who is posting what before jumping on your high horse and whilst we're here I notice your big on criticism of others and very short on answering the op yourself!
I didn't know the answer - which is why I was interested in the post myself. I didn't care if it was a fly away or pilot error or something else. All I wanted to see was the answer to the OP question. I'm sure that there could have been a better way to word the original post title. I did see who was posting and there was good advice on troubleshooting the issue. It just didn't answer the question. No high horse...not even a Shetland pony. If you feel that all the responses were on point then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Why are some people so rude the man was only asking a question. Only been on here a few weeks and finding some people very rude and argumentative life is too short just chill the f*** out. [emoji16]

Last edited:
Reactions: KongWerks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik