Phantom Emergency Parachute

I think the easier solution here is to just not intentionally turn your motors off while flying. Because that's about the only time I could see this having any value.

Interesting proof-of-concept I guess, but this is a case of a solution that needs a problem.

It may be useful and practical for a larger (and potentially far more expensive) bird such as an S800 or MikroKopter but it's overkill on a P2 I would have thought. Nice idea though :)

Yeah. The number of cases where this parachute can help is surprisingly small.. basically you need to activate it manually, so it won't help in a flyaway \ out of control situation. You shouldn't deploy it while any of the rotors are still working either, so basically you can only use it when you still have control of your Phantom but your motors are off\unusable, and you still have enough altitude to react*.

ps: 'react' means that you'll fumble to try to regain the phantom's control for a few second before finally giving up, turning off the motors, and deploying the chutes.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I've developed an autonomous parachute system geared specifically for DJI users. Here is a test video of an ESC failure without turning off the rest of the motors:

Turning off all the motors really isn't necessary for a successful parachute deployment. In fact, if just one of the motors goes out the craft usually falls like a brick. Same thing for bumping into a wall or tree, where one of the blades comes to a full stop.

Also, if you are worried about weight, Mars Parachutes makes a lightweight version for phantom users that costs only $99 and weighs less than 65g.

Full disclosure, I work closely with Mars Parachutes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie