Phantom drifts now with gimbal isntalled

Reaction score
Hi guys, just probably an amateur comment, but I've now installed a longer landing gear and gimbal from ebay. It all works fine. However now the phantom 2 is really hard to control. It wont even hold it's spot on gps mode now, and on failsafe it hovers in my general location but drifts all over the place. It just seems like I've lost all stability and lost confidence flying. Is it always like this when you install a gimbal?

Here's my setup to be clear

weighs 1416g

Probably should of just got zenmuse 3d, but I like the fact I can customise the gimbal to do what I want with bgc gui.

I can't answer your question.. but I was wondering what and where did you get your gimbal and landing gears. I kinda wanted that setup but eBay doesn't have that landing gear and I'm not waiting a month from China.

One thing that occurs to me is that if you still have the original legs, try putting those back on and see if there's a difference. If you're suddenly okay, then that means the legs are to blame. If it's still bad, then try taking the gimbal off and see if it gets better. If it does, then you know it's something with the gimbal that's to blame.

UrAwFuL said:
I can't answer your question.. but I was wondering what and where did you get your gimbal and landing gears. I kinda wanted that setup but eBay doesn't have that landing gear and I'm not waiting a month from China.

both of ebay. I live in uk and there are some available in uk. Guess they already came from China. It's my perfect setup too, but is 100g over DJI rec Take off weight

I don't know if its just an optical illusion but looking at that photo its seems that everything is mounted to one side and not in the middle, have you checked its balance by fastening a string between opposing motors across the top of the phantom and then tying another string on where they cross so that you can lift it off the deck and see if its well out of balance?

Cr8tive_leo said:
Your compass... is... where?

behind the red strap on the left landing skid.

Does compass need to be mounted vertically?

Is balance really that crucial? will phantom not trim it out with thrust? Thought that was the perk of multirotor platforms

volcomstone411 said:
Cr8tive_leo said:

Is balance really that crucial? will phantom not trim it out with thrust? Thought that was the perk of multirotor platforms

Take one of your old landing gears and hack the leg off and keep compass in original position. Then do an advance calibration and compass cal and you'll have your stability back. You'll have to experiment w/gains to work around the weight issue, but start with getting your compass close to where it was originally for stability.

volcomstone411 said:
Cr8tive_leo said:

Yes it should trim out with thrust but you've already mentioned that your phantom is over the recommended take off weight so it may be struggling to achieve that if the balance is too bad.

thank you all for your help. A friend of mine is coming to have his zenmuse 3d fitted later, so i'll weigh his with zenmuse on. I'll probably go down that route.

yea my phantom 2 is now stripped back to basic weight, but it still finds it hard to hover in one spot. I've recalibrated the compass etc etc.

I'm thinking that the compass maybe dead. It did take a whack a few weeks back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers