Phantom drifting

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im having an issue with my Phantom 1, it seems to want to drift quite a bit after performing any sort of easy or more difficult maneuver. For example, if I have the Phantom hovering, and try to spin it around on an axis (using only the left stick) it will start to drift away pretty far, sometimes right after the spin, and sometimes during. It will not stay in the same spot. I understand there will be a bit of movement from its location, but it will drift 20-30 feet or more. Sometimes it will actually tilt in the direction its drifting, as if i am using the right stick on the TX to do it. I have updated the firmware, and calibrated the Phantom. I usually fly in open areas without powerlines or any thing that can hinder GPS signal. Any ideas? its fairly frustrating, and makes it difficult to fly.

lemanster said:
Hey guys, Im having an issue with my Phantom 1, it seems to want to drift quite a bit after performing any sort of easy or more difficult maneuver. For example, if I have the Phantom hovering, and try to spin it around on an axis (using only the left stick) it will start to drift away pretty far, sometimes right after the spin, and sometimes during. It will not stay in the same spot. I understand there will be a bit of movement from its location, but it will drift 20-30 feet or more. Sometimes it will actually tilt in the direction its drifting, as if i am using the right stick on the TX to do it. I have updated the firmware, and calibrated the Phantom. I usually fly in open areas without powerlines or any thing that can hinder GPS signal. Any ideas? its fairly frustrating, and makes it difficult to fly.

When was the craft manufactured?

I have the same issue at times. Doesn't appear to happen all the time though. One thing I think could be causing my issue was right after I got it I hit some power lines and crashed landed in the road. Nothing look damaged but I noticed the that one wing/leg seemed to have a slight bend close to where the motor mounts causing the prop to nearly touch the top of the body while the others are a good 1/4in or more above the body. I tired using a heat gun to heat it and bend it back but haven't flown it yet to test it out.

nintendrone64 said:
lemanster said:

When was the craft manufactured?

I'm not sure, how do I find this out?

I'm thinking you need to either mess with the gains for the CF props or do an IMU calibration.

i had the same issue couple weeks ago
the phantom just started doing with no apparent reason.
In my case when my phantom hovers and do a 360 rotation it starts doing some unstable drift..
what i did is i tried flying my phantom into two different location (less wind and high wind)
if do and 360 in a high wind area it seems that it drifts with the wind, but if do it at less wind area it just hovers fine....
however for me i did an advance calibration through the software and do the compass dance aswell.
and one more important is i set my gain to be able to control at my pot, to adjust the gain on field....
as right now my phantom is rock solid during hover within high or less wind :D

Note: on my experience the p2 props (especially if its carbon) it makes the phantom 1 a bit shakey and mover vulnerable through wind...
to fix that atleast balance the props and and adjus the gain as i satated above.. :D

Copied from another thread:

Gain settings won't effect lift, thrust, etc.
Here is a brief tutorial on what the Naza gain settings do cut/pasted from this page (warning-Ching-lish):
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... ot_Setting

If gain is too large, you will find the multi-rotor oscillating in the corresponding direction (About 5~10Hz). If too small, the multi-rotor will likely to be hard to control. So you can still setup the basic Gain of Pitch, Roll, Yaw and Vertical manually according to your multi-rotor to have a wonderful fly experience. We suggest you to change 10% to 15% of the parameter at a time.

To the gains of Pitch and Roll, if you release the Pitch or Roll stick after command stick, multi-rotor should be back to hovering state. If the reaction of multi-rotor in this procedure is too soft (large delay), please increase the basic gain slowly (10%-15% each time)until vibration emerges after you release the stick. Then decrease the gain a little until vibration just disappears. Now the gain is perfect, but the reaction of the attitude change is slow. You can follow the way introduced at the end of this section to tune the attitude gains.

The way of tuning the Yaw gain is the same as the way of adjusting the Tail Gyro. If you want fast stick reaction speed, increase the gain, otherwise decrease the gain. However, the spin of multi-rotor is produced by the counter torque force, and the magnitude of which is limited. Therefore, large gain will not produce tail vibration like helicopter, but severe reaction at the start or stop of motors, which will affect the stabilization of the other directions.

You use two methods to judge if the Vertical gain is good enough: 1) The multi-rotor can lock the altitude when the throttle stick is at center position; 2) The change of altitude is small during the flight along a route. You can increase the gain slowly (10% each time) until the vibration emerges along the vertical direction or the reaction of throttle stick is too sensitive, then decrease 20% of the gain. Now it is a suitable Vertical gain.

Attitude gains determine the reaction speed of attitude from command stick, the bigger the value the quicker the reaction. Increase it for sharper and quicker leveling action after command stick released. Unstable shaking flying and the control feeling will be stiffness and rigid if the value is too high; and sluggish leveling action and slow braking if too small.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20