Phantom Crash (Video)

Reaction score
This random violent crash happened to me. Literally it fell out of the sky. It was a clear day with no wind. Not sure what caused it. I was trying to fly it up high to get a straight down shot from up high....and it wobbled, then showed blue sky (which makes me believe it flipped over) then dived straight down to the ground. I was about 8 minutes into my flight time when this took place. (I landed it, repositioned the camera and took off again)

Luckily there was no major damage. I tweaked one of the legs a little, but it can be easily fixed with a heat gun, if not, they are easy and cheap to replace.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKnKQ8cRCZk[/youtube]

So what did I do wrong? I love this thing and I have had a complete blast with it for the past couple of weeks I've had it, but this was totally unexpected and if I made a mistake, I would like to learn from it.

Thanks.

It almost acts as if it took some sort of weird microburst updraft. You can hear the motors struggles as it goes sort of sideways and then it just gives up...

Judging by the sound of your motors I would guess a bad bearing.

From take-off one or more of your motors sounds rough.

How many hours on your phantom? Have the bearings ever been replaced?

Easy fix - and available very cheaply.

The Editor said:
Judging by the sound of your motors I would guess a bad bearing.

From take-off one or more of your motors sounds rough.

How many hours on your phantom? Have the bearings ever been replaced?

Easy fix - and available very cheaply.

I just got it a few week ago. I've maybe flown it 20 times?? Its a v1.1.1

phantomflyer said:
Did you edit that video because that was a lot shorter then an eight minute flight?

I can't see the edit either and 8 minutes is bit long to be up that high

Did you have WiFi on and or where any of those people standing around using a WiFi device of some sort? What do you have for a battery? You say you where up for eight minutes the first time did you change out there battery or check to make sure it wasn't running low? I wouldn't beat myself up trying to figure it out unless it keeps happening because you may never figure it out with all the possibility's at play with these things, I'm going to say low battery and the motors just couldn't keep up but what do I know I'm still kind of a newbie at this, Your just lucky it didn't decide to go swimming :)

phantomflyer said:
Did you have WiFi on and or where any of those people standing around using a WiFi device of some sort? What do you have for a battery? You say you where up for eight minutes the first time did you change out there battery or check to make sure it wasn't running low? I wouldn't beat myself up trying to figure it out unless it keeps happening because you may never figure it out with all the possibility's at play with these things, I'm going to say low battery and the motors just couldn't keep up but what do I know I'm still kind of a newbie at this, Your just lucky it didn't decide to go swimming :)

No WiFi on the camera as I was using a GoPro Hero HD (oooolder model). I was in a pretty secluded place. Cant imagine any interference being the issue.

I usually get about 12-14 minutes of fly time with the gopro attached. I had landed it for no more than 20 seconds to just tilt the camera to point down. It was flying for about 8 minutes prior to this based on the original footage. It seems odd how it was fine then just wobbled and dove.

I wouldn't quit call that place secluded, Did you not notice the crowd of people around or where you watching your Phantom the whole time? Did everyone run like hell and jump into the water as soon as they seen it come crashing down? lol.

But non the less I think I found the culprit!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTpP412fM8U[/youtube]

Measure the voltage of each cell on the battery, you may have a weak/bad cell. All three cells should be relatively close to each other (volt wise). It may have triggered a failsafe signal and then canceled it and attempted to recover.

phantomflyer said:
I wouldn't quit call that place secluded, Did you not notice the crowd of people around or where you watching your Phantom the whole time? Did everyone run like hell and jump into the water as soon as they seen it come crashing down? lol.

well, those were all my friends. We were all there for a memorial. Luckily I had been flying it throughout the day and no one was really paying attention to it at this point. Only a handful of people saw it bomb out of the sky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers