Phantom crash straight down - now stuck on lake

Reaction score
First time flying and on my second battery I was flying my Vision just over Glenmore Lake here in Calgary and wanted to get a picture of the bridge going over the lake.

I was a bit high so I pulled down slightly on my control stick (not all the way) and then thing just went down like a rock. I saw it plummeting and pushed for full throttle upwards and the thing start bobbing left and right while still flying straight down.

Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) the lake is completely frozen over. I am hesitant to walk out and grab it, especially by myself. It's about 100 feet from shore.

My current plan is to take an RC truck out with a rope and either push the Vision back or have the rope catch it and tow it in.

Anyone have any other suggestions that might work?

Fishing reel with a lot of line. Or another budy w a phantom who can tow a line out there. That would be cool. And video worthy. Good luck.

Ps I flew mine in the cold the other Day and it did the exact same thing. Don't know if it was the cold or what but I was only 15 feet off the ground. Mine dropped between two bolders and broke 2 props but Thas it.

A Phantom is NOT worth dying for. Just a ride in an ambulance costs 5X more than it's worth even if the worst doesn't happen. Get some help and have folks around who can rescue YOU if you personally attempt to retrieve your bird. Use and take every conceivable precaution.

let us know what clever device you use to get it back. The R/C car sounds like a real possibility. Take PIX of the rescue!!!

PF

You may want to make the decision to save or leave it quickly. Anyone in the area who has wanted one and read this is on their way to walmart to get a $20 rc truck and some rope.

Or just edit your post to omit the specific name of the lake??? :roll:

PF

Sorry to hear you crashed on only your second battery, but as expressed before, don't risk your life, but DO get it quickly now that the word is out. May I ask you how cold it was? I have queried other fliers who have flown in the cold and they haven't had a problem in 15 to 20 degree weather. Wondering how cold it was in Calgary when you crashed. Good Luck!

Hey guys,

I managed to get my Phantom back. In the end it was as simple as walking out on the ice, picking it up, and then walking back. Nothing was broken. The camera had come off three of its rubber dampers, and only one I couldn't find. No biggie. The bracket attached to the camera has a tiny, and I do mean tiny, hairline crack that I will put some gorilla glue on just to be on the safe side.

It was quite the afternoon. I originally did not want to walk on the lake. I went out and bought an RC truck and some rope. Unfortunately the stupid truck was a complete waste of money and could barely tow the rope out. That plan failed.

The next plan was to try and throw a hula-hoop over it. This entailed walking a little ways on the ice and then throwing. Unfortunately this proved to be a no go too. But it did prove that the ice was pretty **** thick.

Finally, my friend, girlfriend and her dad all came. My girlfriend's dad, the brave soul that he is, had us tie a rope around him and then to ourselves and he walked out and picked it up. Definitely owe him a beer or two! Such a great guy. Anyways, I've since reconnected the camera and powered it on to move the gimbal up and down. No problems whatsoever. I can't believe it... Not even any of the propellers broke. The camera coming off and the hairline crack on the bracket was it. Pretty **** durable!!

I still don't think I was at fault for the accident, other than flying it out over a lake (won't be doing that again). The next few flights I'll be flying it pretty low and not too far away.

On the plus side, just before this happened, I achieved 1058 ft distance with the stock repeater. :D :lol:

Next time use fishing line. It's light and strong. And go to Marshall's if you have them there. Just picked up an RC truck for $12.99 yesterday. I'm using it right now to clean my AC ducts out. Small enough to get in. Strong enough to pull the duster. Glad everything turned out well. The outcome wouldn't have been as good here in Florida, it would have been splash down and no saving it. I guess the cold has its perks.

W.A.R. said:
...It was quite the afternoon. I originally did not want to walk on the lake. I went out and bought an RC truck and some rope. Unfortunately the stupid truck was a complete waste of money and could barely tow the rope out. That plan failed.

You didn't get the "tire chain" option for the truck? That was poor planning.

;-)

Glad you got it back

t.rexxer said:
Temperature at time of crash??

The time of the crash was at about 2:20 PM and it was maybe 5-8 degrees C.

I honestly don't feel this was user error. It was like the throttle was stuck.

I think we might be seeing a pattern of low temperature crashes here... Anybody know what the minimum operating temperature is supposed to be?

-slinger

gunslinger said:
I think we might be seeing a pattern of low temperature crashes here... Anybody know what the minimum operating temperature is supposed to be?

-slinger

It should be okay until -10 C. That's what their website says.

I was flying my F450 at 0 degrees C today, and had no problems.

W.A.R. - Dude, your avatar creeps me out! That is a sick looking Joker image... :eek:

PF

I'm starting to think that the GPS may lose some efficiency at the low temperatures.

Also, going STRAIGHT DOWN, whether in the PV or Parrot AR DRONE puts a quiver in my liver. They get caught up in their own prop wash, and it makes them unstable. When descending, I never go straight down. I meander side to side or front to back.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj