Phantom Crash, related to Battery fault?

Reaction score
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Crash survey related to Battery fault.
My DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ fell from the sky on my 73th flight which happened in 1 minute and 21 seconds after the 30% low level battery warning came. The motors suddenly stopped to work and the phantom fell from the sky. There was no 16% low level battery warning nor did the phantom go to the self-landing. After the crash the battery level was 0%.

Here is the crash video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aQPejb ... nwhk_R-I-A

After 19 days explaining and arguing with the DJI Shenzhen Headquarters technical support, I gave up. They just ascribed the blame to me and didn't even try to find out the real cause of the crash. I have sent them the “crash” video, explained everything very precisely and provided them all the information from the Assistance software. I provided them as much information as possible because I’d like to help to make this product even better before someone got hit by a falling Phantom or even worse. I asked them as well to get the battery back so that they can investigate the problem, but DJI didn’t ask for it or response on my request.
This is DJI’s final conclusion / comment to this case ( in their words): “…we all know this acident is caused by operation on the copter and would like to emphasize again the crash is caused by battery had used up all its power before crash during the descending process.

I’m not sure if DJI currently is able to handle the claim. I got the first answer to my email within 5 hours which was a very quick reply. Unfortunately, the product knowledge from DJI technical support team is not so efficient or helpful. Not meant to harm, defame, or cause any problems for DJI, but yet it is an unbiased, personal experience with the DJI Headquarters support center.
To have a safer Phantom, we need to have DJI to take battery issue seriously, to find out the cause of the problem and to fix it. Therefore, I would like to ask for your favor to help me complete this survey.

ONLY for DJI PHANTOM 2 VISION+ and Phantom 2
Can you please provide me the following information?
1. The Phantom serial no. & Version.
2. Which firmware did you use?
3. The battery serial no.
4. Did you get low battery warning during the flight even the battery was still more than 30% charged?
5. Did your motors suddenly stop working?
6. Did you get a 16% (or whatever you have set) battery low level warning?
7. What was the battery level after the crash?
8. How many flights did you make with this same battery before the crash?
9. Did you fly in NAZA mode or Normal mode?
10. If you flew in NAZA mode is it set to fallsafe or not?
11. Did you discharge to less than 8% and fully charge this “crash battery” just before the flight? This is important to know.

I’ll make a summary of all the comments and information I get and post to this forum.
Is there another good forum where I could post this info/survey?
Many thanks
Roger
Reuters interview
http://www.reuters.com/video/2014/07/30 ... e=Business

quadroger said:
Sorry only in private message
2. The battery serial no.
Sended the battery back to dealer.
3. Did you get low battery warning during the flight even the battery was still more than 30% charged?
Yes @ 95% and didn't stop on last attempt. On the previous charge it began @ 50% and i could manage to get the bird home safe due to flicking into ATTI and GPS mode cause i wanted it back fast, it was still 4000ft away. It entered auto landing after the warning and gave throttle up to get it home.
Also i've seen the camera going hard to the left for a second during flight, temporary case of Gilles de la Tourette ?
Even if there was significant juice left it just gave the low battery warning. It was a battery with round data contact plates.
4. Did your motors suddenly stop working?
Nope just that autolanding was initiated even the battery on the second attempt was showing more the 30%.
5. Did you get a 16% (or whatever you have set) battery low level warning?
Nope
6. What was the battery level after the crash?
No crash, the second time it was showing 75% when i shipped it back to the dealer.
7. How many flights did you make with this same battery before the crash?
8. Did you fly in NAZA mode or Normal mode?
NAZA
9. If you flew in NAZA mode is it set to fallsafe or not?
No way ! You must avoid that if possible.
10. Did you discharge to less than 8% and fully charge this “crash battery” just before the flight? This is important to know.
As there was some 30% left i charged it back up and it toke significant less time to charge. There were no abnormalities in the assistant to detect because i suspected a bad cell. All 3 cells were @ the same voltage level after a brief use of the motors.

I Have noticed after the latest update it is causing some erratic behavior, I can`t get it to run smooth, or the way it performed pre updates. The battery is shutting down early. At 30% it wants to auto land.The yaw control swings in a wild circle. It is very fast and twitchy. I only get 300 feet FPV.(after app) The wifi connection has always been weak. The first 4 or 5 flights I could only get about 60 ft FPV.I will not take it back to the people I bought it from in Calgary Alberta do to their very poor telephone and business etiquette STAY AWAY.
We should have a role back option in the DJI update site. I have been tweaking the gains trying to get it to fly comfortable again, slowly decreasing the values. No luck yet. I do not want to try a full format on the main controller yet, until I get more info.
Long Days and Pleasant Nights.

What firmware are you(OP) using? I don't get any battery warnings until I am below 20%.

Cannot tell what part of the world you are in, but DJI here in the states can be reached at this number (818) 235 0789 They will issue an RMA number without any problem.

Dealer received battery and also got that fault, they sedn in a replacement battery and going to investigate what caused that old one to show that behavior.

quadroger said:
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Crash survey related to Battery fault.
My DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ fell from the sky on my 73th flight which happened in 1 minute and 21 seconds after the 30% low level battery warning came. The motors suddenly stopped to work and the phantom fell from the sky. There was no 16% low level battery warning nor did the phantom go to the self-landing. After the crash the battery level was 0%.

Here is the crash video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aQPejb ... nwhk_R-I-A

After 19 days explaining and arguing with the DJI Shenzhen Headquarters technical support, I gave up. They just ascribed the blame to me and didn't even try to find out the real cause of the crash. I have sent them the “crash” video, explained everything very precisely and provided them all the information from the Assistance software. I provided them as much information as possible because I’d like to help to make this product even better before someone got hit by a falling Phantom or even worse. I asked them as well to get the battery back so that they can investigate the problem, but DJI didn’t ask for it or response on my request.
This is DJI’s final conclusion / comment to this case ( in their words): “…we all know this acident is caused by operation on the copter and would like to emphasize again the crash is caused by battery had used up all its power before crash during the descending process.

I’m not sure if DJI currently is able to handle the claim. I got the first answer to my email within 5 hours which was a very quick reply. Unfortunately, the product knowledge from DJI technical support team is not so efficient or helpful. Not meant to harm, defame, or cause any problems for DJI, but yet it is an unbiased, personal experience with the DJI Headquarters support center.
To have a safer Phantom, we need to have DJI to take battery issue seriously, to find out the cause of the problem and to fix it. Therefore, I would like to ask for your favor to help me complete this survey.

ONLY for DJI PHANTOM 2 VISION+ and Phantom 2
Can you please provide me the following information?
2. Which firmware did you use?
3. The battery serial no.
4. Did you get low battery warning during the flight even the battery was still more than 30% charged?
5. Did your motors suddenly stop working?
6. Did you get a 16% (or whatever you have set) battery low level warning?
7. What was the battery level after the crash?
8. How many flights did you make with this same battery before the crash?
9. Did you fly in NAZA mode or Normal mode?
10. If you flew in NAZA mode is it set to fallsafe or not?
11. Did you discharge to less than 8% and fully charge this “crash battery” just before the flight? This is important to know.

I’ll make a summary of all the comments and information I get and post to this forum.
Is there another good forum where I could post this info/survey?
Many thanks
Roger
Reuters interview
http://www.reuters.com/video/2014/07/30 ... e=Business

For what it's worth... I've had nearly this exact same experience and the same terrible interaction with DJI. After working normally, my quad powered off in mid flight (had 80% battery just before) and fell to the sky. The props just stopped spinning. There was absolutely no user error. DJI could care less and didn't want to learn from my experience (of which I have a lot flying these things). They barely respond and when they do their customer service asked pointless questions and was of no help. I LOVE the product (when it works) but can't stand the customer service. They need to fix that and try to learn from experienced users.

Yes correct the technical support which I had to deal with was useless, unfortunately they just don't know the product well.
You won’t believe what things they told me and what kind of excuse they found why the Phantom fell from the sky.
Question, did you continue to fly with the same battery or you don’t touch this battery anymore?

quadroger said:
Yes correct the technical support which I had to deal with was useless, unfortunately they just don't know the product well.
You won’t believe what things they told me and what kind of excuse they found why the Phantom fell from the sky.
Question, did you continue to fly with the same battery or you don’t touch this battery anymore?

Good question regarding battery. I ended up buying a new quadcopter and have 3 other batteries... so I've been using those. However, the battery that fell did seem ok visually but I've been nervous to fly with it, so I haven't actually used it yet simply because i've had 3 others. I may keep it charged incase i really need it one day and then may take it slow and low to test out... but i just haven't used it yet.

For those of you who fly a Phantom V1x you need this in your tool bag.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WQ ... UTF8&psc=1

it is a RC CellMeter-7 Digital Battery Capacity Checker LiPo LiFe Li-ion NiMH Nicd don't fly without one. Other Phantom owners have a "smart battery" so they don't need, and cannot use this tool. enjoy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4