Phantom Crash...no idea why !

Reaction score
Hi Guys...

Im on my second Phantom 2....after my first took a swim in similar circumstances to the following.

I have just had my Phantom crash. I was flying at around 30 meters returning to myself to land when suddenly the quad violently oscillated and plummeted to the ground. It was sand so fortunately nothing has broken!

At the time I was translating forward and decending at around 1 m/s so I can't see how it can be VRC. I tried to get away from it just incase it was by flying forward rapidly i.e. RH stick full forward, it didn't seem to help much and at the last moment I just gave full up to try and break the rate of decent.

I have no idea whats going on here, it wasn't a windy day maybe 10kts with the odd gust, temp 38C.

This is the second Phantom I have had and Im rapidly loosing faith in it! I definitely will not take it over water again !

This is the video on YouTube http://youtu.be/hhZxkj8RCb0

Get rid of the prop guards and it won't happen again!

What effect does the prop guards have???

Surely the prop guards are helping to limit any damage.

I have seen numerous posts that say the prop guards make the aircraft more unstable (which is what you suffered) and in some instances push the weight of the P2 over DJI's maximum recommended AUW for stable flight!

It stands to reason that adding that much surface area to the Phantom will alter it's flight characteristics - In my opinion they are more of a training aid than anything else. Once you are confident flying they are not needed.

Flying into, with, lateral to, the wind?

Prop guards extend the "arm surfaces" and catch more air causing instability. Try flying with then without you'll see a major difference. They're great for inclose flying near objects.

Tailwind in this situation... Not in your favor.

Only you can really judge the conditions you were in at the time, but flying forward at a speed comparable to the wind speed is analogous to descending stationary.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31