Phantom Commits Suicide

Reaction score
Ok after a few months of love and care my beloved phantom commited suicide today. :( :(
Ok maybe I had a little to do with it. Well ok maybe a lot.

Was doing a high speed pass and as I approached a very large tree I could see it was going to be close,
so I gave her full up warp speed ,but try as she might she didn't get high enough and clipped a small branch and tumbled through the tree heading to curtain death :eek:
But low and behold as she was about 10ft up she cleared the tree and throttled up to full power
she hit hard feet first and bounced up (I felt a sigh of relief) she was going to make it. :)

However despite having zip ties on the camera it let go, breaking free from the bottom camera mount
leaving the mount and zip ties intact. With the lose of the camera weight and still at full power trying to get back to its gps location ( in hind sight wish I would have stopped watching and jammed into atti) it shot back up into the tree grinding through
almost to the top again before beginning its death drop.
Slamming to the ground the battery flew appox 4 ft from the craft and the camera now rest almost 15 ft away I felt sick.

I walked over gathered her remains and brought her home for surgery.

Doing a preop exam I reconnected the camera cables no mounting as mount is broke at servo ,took off the props
bent the one arm that is broke back straight, installed the battery, and fired her up .

:D :D :D :D Sheeeees aaaaaalive
she will need some surgery ( new shell, 1 esc broke in bad arm ,and camera mount plates)
total damage with shipping less than 100.00

But everything fired up :eek: other 3 motors spun up fine, camera tilt works, all telemetry comes over app ,both video and stills work and camera focus still fine.
So a $100 stupid tax paid is better than the 1200 I was expecting.

Glad to spend it I love her

Here is her last minute of flight
http://youtu.be/cqj6zZWqNno

not flying if you're not crashing...would be interested to hear how the new shell install goes as I'm gonna be getting one at some point (still flies with duct tape now!).

jimdenburg said:
not flying if you're not crashing...would be interested to hear how the new shell install goes as I'm gonna be getting one at some point (still flies with duct tape now!).

going to just replace the top as of now .I was able to bend the bottom back into place , the top cracked as did the the esc
so will replace esc and top only.
looks like the bottom will be ok ( and saves a lot of work)
Love dronefly.com talked to them yesterday at 4:15 central got fedex tracking number at 5:22 and will be here in morning
now that's service

Awesome video to go with the story. Sorry for the damage but at least it was minimal! I'm always amazed how tough these little buggers are...

jimdenburg said:

I replaced my shell. took me an hour and it was a breeze.

Great story, well told. Glad she's gonna be back in the air soon, just worried about in who's hands ;)
Yeah flying at full whack backwards never appeals to me, you sure were gunning it.
They really hardy little machines. I still cant stop thinking of the movie Batteries not included everytime I have my bird in the sky.
Safe skies mate!

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Great story, well told. Glad she's gonna be back in the air soon, just worried about in who's hands ;)
Yeah flying at full whack backwards never appeals to me, you sure were gunning it.
They really hardy little machines. I still cant stop thinking of the movie Batteries not included everytime I have my bird in the sky.
Safe skies mate!

Well took about 1 hour to replace shell and solder on new esc
Fired her up and shes a champ no calibrating or anything dji app said all was well
took her for a short spin around the yard and off to set some records
She hit 58+ on 2nd run with only 8mph winds and even the camera runs great
I :lol: :D LOVE IT

skyhighdiver said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Safe skies mate!

Well took about 1 hour to replace shell and solder on new esc
Fired her up and shes a champ no calibrating or anything dji app said all was well
took her for a short spin around the yard and off to set some records
She hit 58+ on 2nd run with only 8mph winds and even the camera runs great
I :lol: :D LOVE IT

Kewl... Good to hear they take a lickin' and keep on tickin' Even the Kamikaze versions... :D

-slinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31