Phantom climbs vertical and won't stop..

Reaction score
I've had my Phantom 2 for about a week now. I bought a cheaper quad to practice with and watched 100+ videos. Out of the box I read the instructions and followed them to a "T", calibrated the GPS and took flight. Initial flight was successful. Same day, second flight I travel appox 30 yards forward and the Phantom just starts to climb on it's own. Hovers, then climbs again, and keeps climbing. I was able to turn off the remote and it returned. Just yesterday I flew approx 20 mins and was bringing it home. I got it about 30 yards away and it started climbing again, a few hundred feet up. Again, switched off controller and it returned. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm no longer getting the second beep sequence upon start-up, I have to calibrate GPS nearly every time I turn it on. Waiting 5 minutes upon powering up doesn't seem to help. I have intentions of using this for work but not if it's just going to act up every time I fly it.

Have you upgraded to the most recent firmware yet? I'm pretty certain the instructions don't mention that part. By calibrating the GPS do you mean calibrating the compass? You also need to calibrate the IMU which is done through the software while your phantom is connected to your computer.

I also followed the instructions and either missed the part saying update via software and calibrate the IMU, or they weren't in there to begin with. After the first flight ending badly I found out what really needed to be done prior to the first flight.

Could be defective barometer. I would return it for exchange before you lose it.

Make sure to calibrate your controller and check that the brittle sticks are centred when released in the assist.

I appreciate all the advice! I sent it in to have a diagnostics check. When I get it back I will be sure to follow your advice! Thank You All!

Please follow up on this thread once the diagnostics are complete. I had the very same problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic