Phantom bottom colour

Reaction score
Hi,
I was thinking what is actually the best colour for the phantom, I've seen mine as it goes against white clouds it can be hard to see as its white... I've seen many have had there phantoms coloured , graphics etc, what is the best colour for the underside, I'm guessing black ?
Thoughts of the best colour for visibility

noiseboy72 said:
Got mine painted in Day Glow Orange at the front and Green at the back. Can see it at 300-400m, even on a bright day.
Sounds great. Any chance of a picture.

How did you apply the paint ?

I used to have prop guards and painted these. I just painted the shell with spray paint. No primer or anything, just mask off the motors and other parts and away you go. It took about 2 coats.

Does this particular colour combination help in terms of keeping visual on the quad from the ground ? It sounds like it should.

Has anyone tried any other colour combinations, or other tweaks for the underside to assist with visibility ?

I am working on painting mine up as well. I'm going with a flat black belly and forward arms. Can't figure out the sides/top color just yet, but like described above green or orange are the contrasting colors to blue (sky). But read on a RC plane website, old school, that colors get washed in the sky, patterns/shapes however can be seen. So the orientation can be determined. Really the underbelly of the arms are mainly what is to be seen when overhead. The four vertical body surfaces on the sides is were I think applying a shape/pattern against the black will help further.

I think the LED's will also appear better against a black body, I can barely see them during the day at any given angle with the white body.

For my climate and sun, black could possibly add a heat load to the internals...I can't afford for that to be an issue. So I'm taking the process slow. I've painted my spare landing gear a flat black after they were bead blasted. Still not perfectly flat black, but bead blast did tone down the plastic sheen prior to painting.

Paint, I'm using a Rustoliem brand that is safe for plastics. So far no ill effects from the paint on the plastic, again the sun/heat is the question now.

Good luck!

The underside for me is the important part (assuming it is flying straight and level and the right way up :D ) to help spot it.
I personally am not too fussed about making the top side look trendy.

Think I'm gonna do black on the underside , I think it will make it easier against clear blue Sky with white clouds which is usually when I could lose visual temporarily around 1000' away about 200' up when you glance down to the screen

I've thought a lot about that and what I think might work best is fluorescent Orange. I just haven't been able to make myself paint it! My second choice would be black.

I used fluorescent Orange, it's a spray paint made for plastic, It is a rust oleum product, works very well, orange on camera side and green on opposite side

Hey guys, I would love to see some pictures of these bi-coloured quads. Any takers ?

Thanks RichWest.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj