Phantom battery connector coming apart

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed that the grey cable that goes into the XT60 connector on the Phantom has separated slightly from the heat shrink tubing. And if you bend the cable you can see the wires inside. Today the gap between the cable insultion and the heat shrink tubing is a bit wider and a few of the electrical wires have broken and are poking out. :| The connection still seems sound and for the moment I have applied some insulating tape around it. My soldering skills are nil and I know if I tried to recut and resolder the cable with fresh heat shrink it would far weaker than it is currently. Will this current fix be ok do you think? I do remember seeing someone else on a Phantom forum saying that the cable had broken completely! Which is when I started to inspect mine and eventually find this! Pity there are no local hobby shops which seem fairly widespread in the States (or so it seems!).

cheers

bill

fly-catchers said:
Recently I have noticed that the grey cable that goes into the XT60 connector on the Phantom has separated slightly from the heat shrink tubing. And if you bend the cable you can see the wires inside. Today the gap between the cable insultion and the heat shrink tubing is a bit wider and a few of the electrical wires have broken and are poking out. :| The connection still seems sound and for the moment I have applied some insulating tape around it. My soldering skills are nil and I know if I tried to recut and resolder the cable with fresh heat shrink it would far weaker than it is currently. Will this current fix be ok do you think? I do remember seeing someone else on a Phantom forum saying that the cable had broken completely! Which is when I started to inspect mine and eventually find this! Pity there are no local hobby shops which seem fairly widespread in the States (or so it seems!).

cheers

bill

It's an excellent time to either recut/resolder or replace the power cable. It may be fine for months to come, but then again it may not. It may be easier to get a new XT60 plug rather than try to remove the wires from the existing one. If you're uncomfortable doing the soldering, I'm sure you can find someone to help. But this is one of the easier jobs you'll run into, and it's probably worth learning how to solder if you're going to be working on your Phantom ongoing :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.