Phantom Batteries are legal BUT....

Reaction score
As we all know, it doesn't matter what we know. It doesn't matter what we've heard.

Apparently, It doesn't much matter what the FAA website even says.

If this guy in the video were in any way, acting a knob about all this, the scenario could've ended much more negatively.
Be aware guys..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

TSA, Gate agents, pilots, flight attendants, Police Officers... I have found more often than not, are absolutely clueless about the laws they are to enforce.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if at YOUR job you can be clueless about doing your job and remain employed?

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 & Tapatalk

802da083d98c994e5a62aaee0b849a60.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

As we all know, it doesn't matter what we know. It doesn't matter what we've heard.

Apparently, It doesn't much matter what the FAA website even says.

If this guy in the video were in any way, acting a knob about all this, the scenario could've ended much more negatively.
Be aware guys..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
As a former commercial pilot, and current corporate pilot, I too am concerned that FAA regs concerning Lipo's was a problem to this flight crew. Regulations such as these are updated (what seems like constantly) as the drone hobby is growing world wide. Most pilots like myself are aware of acceptable limits on carry-on batteries. But, I do commend you sir on your attitude through this incident. The ONLY negative incident I have been involved with concerned a camera equipment battery (aftermarket-no labeling) that was not allowed on the aircraft.

Reactions: GundoLarry
Hey Capt. is there anything we can do to help this situation? Was the aircrew's response negligent or discriminatory? Any info we can have or share to resolve the situation if it arises?

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the OP have an opportunity to review the TSA website at the gate, but the gate agents et al we're not interested.

Dynamically changing laws are available on that site.

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 & Tapatalk

Hey Capt. is there anything we can do to help this situation? Was the aircrew's response negligent or discriminatory? Any info we can have or share to resolve the situation if it arises?
In my opinion the air crew overreacted due to being unfamiliar with the guidelines. I've seen the same problems with passengers checking electric wheelchairs. They have specific guidelines too. Even the new "e-cigs" electronic cigarettes must be carry-on only--not in checked bags. Education is the key that will solve issues like this....for both the public and FAA/TSA. The "e-CFR" Electronics Code of Regulation is updated almost daily by the FAA. It is boring stuff. I'd advise all drone pilots to go to the FAA website and locate the pdf "Airline Passengers and Batteries". It is two pages (printable) that has all the information needed for an uneventful flight with batteries, including LiPo Phantom batteries. There is a section on FAQ, and a handy chart/table to reference. It may be wise to keep a copy of this FAA document in your flight case for, well, 'educational purposes' for the less informed if you catch my drift.

Reactions: GundoLarry
You are very welcome- and thank YOU for the link. Even though we have the FAA guidelines to reference, some airlines have specific guidelines and rules of their own. But, most airlines follow the FAA code of regulations. Still, it's a good idea to check with your specific airline directly to be sure preflight to avoid surprises.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic