Phantom arriving today! How to get started?

Reaction score
Very excited, my phantom is arriving today. I bought it from a dealer where the gimbal, fpv and futaba is installed. Can't wait! I'm not sure if it'll come with a lot of manual and instructions. But what exactly do I have to learn to get myself prepared? I've watched the youtube videos from dji channel. It seems like I just have to power the transmitter, and then put the battery in the phantom? Are there specific things to look out for? Thanks!

Welcome to the club ;)

My initial suggestions are:
- Do a compass calibration before every first flight (dance 360° horizontal and 360° nose down)
- Do not fly if you get RED lights on phantom (not enough satellites lock or any other error showed)
- Use GPS mode as longer as you feel ready to ATTi mode. Not try MANUAL mode until you get confidence.
- Always check and secure your propellers (tightened nuts)
- Fly low and slow until you get confidence
- Keep an eye on the flashing red light alert (low voltage in battery)
- Not fly over people, cars, etc... until you become expert
- After landing... let battery get cool before recharge it. (longer flights, and longer battery life)
- Fly in open areas preferable with grass on them.
- Keep far from wires, telephone lines, trees, etc.

Hope my pre- flight check list help you, Welcome and great flights:

I wrote in february a long pre-flight checklist (i was a quad newbie so it was very helpful then).
Now I want to share my own reduced pre-flight check list for those who want to follow it (reduced to 10 points for hurry newbies) As a result, I've not lost nothing, neither have had a "fly away" or similar loose control :

1) Check the battery is charged. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...&_nkw=buzzer+voltage+alarm&_sacat=0&_from=R40)
2) Check around for obstacles, water or inteference sources around your flight site (Cell, Microwave or power towers)
3) Check props (specially if had bumped or crashed) may be broken.
4) Check tightened nuts, screws and holders for VTX, Camera, Gimbal, etc.
5) Check no wires around or loosening conections
6) Check your TX sticks are in correct position (GPS up, Trhottle down, etc) and if beeping with sticks down, replace batteries
7) Check the battery door is right closed and secured. Also the Phantom orientation at take off, so you stay behind it.
8) Wait for Just GREEN blink leds (GPS mode)
9) Take off and check for strange noises from motors, check Yaw, Up, Left, Right and Gimbal pitch controls are working before go far.
10) Keep an eye on your bird even when curious people come to distract you with compliments and "esoteric" questions.

jumanoc said:
Welcome to the club ;)

My initial suggestions are:
- Do a compass calibration before every first flight (dance 360° horizontal and 360° nose down)
- Do not fly if you get RED lights on phantom (not enough satellites lock or any other error showed)
- Use GPS mode as longer as you feel ready to ATTi mode. Not try MANUAL mode until you get confidence.
- Always check and secure your propellers (tightened nuts)
- Fly low and slow until you get confidence
- Keep an eye on the flashing red light alert (low voltage in battery)
- Not fly over people, cars, etc... until you become expert
- After landing... let battery get cool before recharge it. (longer flights, and longer battery life)
- Fly in open areas preferable with grass on them.
- Keep far from wires, telephone lines, trees, etc.

Hope my pre- flight check list help you, Welcome and great flights:

I wrote in february a long pre-flight checklist (i was a quad newbie so it was very helpful then).
Now I want to share my own reduced pre-flight check list for those who want to follow it (reduced to 10 points for hurry newbies) As a result, I've not lost nothing, neither have had a "fly away" or similar loose control :

1) Check the battery is charged. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...&_nkw=buzzer+voltage+alarm&_sacat=0&_from=R40)
2) Check around for obstacles, water or inteference sources around your flight site (Cell, Microwave or power towers)
3) Check props (specially if had bumped or crashed) may be broken.
4) Check tightened nuts, screws and holders for VTX, Camera, Gimbal, etc.
5) Check no wires around or loosening conections
6) Check your TX sticks are in correct position (GPS up, Trhottle down, etc) and if beeping with sticks down, replace batteries
7) Check the battery door is right closed and secured. Also the Phantom orientation at take off, so you stay behind it.
8) Wait for Just GREEN blink leds (GPS mode)
9) Take off and check for strange noises from motors, check Yaw, Up, Left, Right and Gimbal pitch controls are working before go far.
10) Keep an eye on your bird even when curious people come to distract you with compliments and "esoteric" questions.

That is so useful!!!!! Let me go study that over and over again :)

I would start by flying in a grassy area and staying lower than 10 feet off the ground. If you crash, you wont cause any damage. Crashing on concrete from higher up will have bad results. It will seem boring at first but try to get solid control of all the motions. Try to do figure 8s and come in hot and stop dead in front of your face. It will be a lot harder than you think. A soccer or baseball field is perfect. You should also try GPS and ATT mode in very light wind. You'll be able to understand how it works and use it to your advantage when flying else where. Stay away from power lines.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie