Phantom 4 Travelling Concerns

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im close to purchasing a Phantom 4 as my first drone, but as a noob, I was hoping that someone may be able to help me with regards to a couple of queries I have.

I travel to North America a lot and plan to take my drone with me from the UK whenever I can and as you have to register any drone if its being used in the U.S, does that mean I can register my drone for use in North America even if I don't live in the country ill be using it in?

Also, how are airports with taking drones in either hand luggage or in a checked-in suitcase for example?

Sorry for the (more than likely) stupid questions and thanks for your time.

Gari.

I travel to North America a lot and plan to take my drone with me from the UK whenever I can and as you have to register any drone if its being used in the U.S, does that mean I can register my drone for use in North America even if I don't live in the country ill be using it in?
Yes. You can register on the FAA's website here once you arrive in the US.

how are airports with taking drones in either hand luggage or in a checked-in suitcase for example?
You can check anything but the Phantom batteries. Those must be in your carry-on bag and the battery terminals must be covered.

Reactions: Gari Clark

You can check anything but the Phantom batteries. Those must be in your carry-on bag and the battery terminals must be covered.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply as thats helped me massively.

Regarding covering up the battery terminals, whats the most commonly way of doing it? something like tape for example?

Thanks again.

Tape, a plastic Ziploc bag, or a battery cover like this would be fine. You just want to ensure the battery terminals cannot come into contact with anything.

Reactions: Gari Clark

Sorry, forgot to ask this earlier, but is it true that when registering a drone (even if you're only visiting on holiday like myself) that you need a U.S address when signing up? if thats true, would I just put the hotel address? as that would be the only option id have.

All listed in the FAQ section in the link provided above ;)

Q12. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for sUAS competitions required to register?

A. All sUAS are required to be registered prior to operating outdoors. Foreign nationals who want to operate in the U.S. may use the FAA's new online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive an identical certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents under the online registration platform. However, this certificate will function solely as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

All listed in the FAQ section in the link provided above ;)

Q12. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for sUAS competitions required to register?

A. All sUAS are required to be registered prior to operating outdoors. Foreign nationals who want to operate in the U.S. may use the FAA's new online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive an identical certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents under the online registration platform. However, this certificate will function solely as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the heads up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers