Phantom 4 Series phased out...

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping that I could get a little help. We are looking at purchasing our first Quad it was thinking about the Phantom 4 Series. In my research, it was discovered that the production of the Phantom 4 Series has been discontinued.

So I decided to contact the company and ask some questions. I'll be honest it was like pulling teeth. They did not want to admit that the phantom 4 Series has been discontinued. I could not even get out of them what it was being replaced with.

Can someone please enlighten me? Why was the series discontinued? Was there any issues with it? Etc

The way it was explained to me is that the entire series was phased out.

Okay, I contacted the company again because I'm getting conflicting information. I got a different agent this time.

He said the only model of the 4 series that is currently under production is the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0.

All others have been phased out

Okay, I contacted the company again because I'm getting conflicting information. I got a different agent this time.
He said the only model of the 4 series that is currently under production is the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0.
All others have been phased out
If Toyota bring out a new model Corolla this year to replace last year's model, that doesn't mean the Corolla has been phased out, discontinued etc.
The V2.0 was only released a few weeks ago and is the current model in the P4 series.
The series has not been discontinued.

The Phantom 4 (in whatever version is available) is a great drone for photographers and can't be matched for features and price by any other consumer drone.

I understand that but according to the company...

Those other models are still available they're just not making any new ones. So will you would have to get that 2016 Toyota :)

originally I was told the entire series was phased out but after receiving some conflicting information it has been confirmed that the only model going forward is the V 2.0

Hi, I was hoping that I could get a little help. We are looking at purchasing our first Quad it was thinking about the Phantom 4 Series. In my research, it was discovered that the production of the Phantom 4 Series has been discontinued.

As @loonie01 said, it's true that the P4 Standard was discontinued, although the rest of the P4 line continues on, including the new P4 Pro v2. I own a P3 Standard and a P4 Standard. I like my P4, it gives me more advertised range than my P3S. While the P4 is a great machine to get started with, and it includes some great features for the money, IMHO, I don't feel its feature set truly distinguished it from a P3 Pro by a significant enough margin. You can still buy good, used P4 Standards on eBay and the like for $500 - 600, or you buy a refurbished P4 Standard direct from DJI for $699. For that money, you'll get a fully refurbished unit with a 1 year warranty that, according to some reports, may be a better deal than buying a new one. Considering what some places are selling remaining new stock P4S units for, that's a pretty good deal. If you have the extra money to invest in an even better unit, for roughly $100 more ($809 as of 6/18/18) you can buy a fully refurbished P4 Advanced model direct from DJI with a 1 year warranty. Besides an enhanced feature set, you'll also get a 20mp camera, versus a 12mp camera on the P4 Standard. Although the P4S camera really does a great job with video and stills, for me, a 20mp camera would be worth the extra money. In fact, that offer is so tempting, I will likely buy a P4 Advanced at that price and sell my P4 Standard to get the better camera. Regardless, a P4S is a good choice. Good luck with whichever model you choose.

Reactions: loonie01
I understand that but according to the company...
Those other models are still available they're just not making any new ones. So will you would have to get that 2016 Toyota :)
2016 Toyota? Perhaps you meant 2018 Toyota?
The P4 series is steadily evolving with newer models replacing older ones.

DJI phone help people aren't always the most helpful.
There are language difficulties and sometimes a lack of product knowledge as well.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Okay so now we're back to conflicting information. The company told me that the other models are available but no new ones will be made. The only one currently in production is the V 2.0

As @loonie01 said, it's true that the P4 Standard was discontinued, although the rest of the P4 line continues on, including the new P4 Pro v2. I own a P3 Standard and a P4 Standard. I like my P4, it gives me more advertised range than my P3S. While the P4 is a great machine to get started with, and it includes some great features for the money, IMHO, I don't feel its feature set truly distinguished it from a P3 Pro by a significant enough margin. You can still buy good, used P4 Standards on eBay and the like for $500 - 600, or you buy a refurbished P4 Standard direct from DJI for $699. For that money, you'll get a fully refurbished unit with a 1 year warranty that, according to some reports, may be a better deal than buying a new one. Considering what some places are selling remaining new stock P4S units for, that's a pretty good deal. If you have the extra money to invest in an even better unit, for roughly $100 more ($809 as of 6/18/18) you can buy a fully refurbished P4 Advanced model direct from DJI with a 1 year warranty. Besides an enhanced feature set, you'll also get a 20mp camera, versus a 12mp camera on the P4 Standard. Although the P4S camera really does a great job with video and stills, for me, a 20mp camera would be worth the extra money. In fact, that offer is so tempting, I will likely buy a P4 Advanced at that price and sell my P4 Standard to get the better camera. Regardless, a P4S is a good choice. Good luck with whichever model you choose.

Okay so now we're back to conflicting information. The company told me that the other models are available but no new ones will be made. The only one currently in production is the V 2.0

I would agree with the assessment by Meta4. I simply stated that the P4 line continues on, and you can still buy new (and refurbished) models from the P4 line. Not sure where the conflict is in that.

I just picked up a used P4 Advanced on Craigslist with 2 batteries for$650. I can say I am pleased.

Reactions: Djpuf
Not sure what your concerns are. The P4 series is the current top of the line DJI consumer drone. They will inevitably move on (Phantom 5?), but for now it is state of the art.

Even if DJI decided to deliver the Phantom 5 next week, it will take 1) months before you can buy one and 2) more months before they finish debugging the system. So you have at the very least, a year or two where DJI will actively support the craft. And likely three to five years of aftermarket support (batteries, antennas, etc.).

Further, for many applications, a Phantom 3 Pro is an excellent choice. DJI still sells refurbished units. They will still fix them (as will hundreds of independent shops). You can buy batteries, cases, antennas and a whole host of accessories.

Rather than obsess about the newest, take a few minutes to learn about the features of the various Phantoms - and the Mavic Pro. And possibly the Inspire series (you don't tell us what your requirements are).

There is sort of an embarrassment of riches in consumer drone technology these days.

My take is that before releasing a new model (e.g. Phantom 5) the channel of assembled drones (finished products) and of parts needs to be thinned out. One way to do that is to announce a "new" release like the Phantom 4 Pro II to stimulate new sales enough to accomplish the "thinning out" objective. When the Phantom 4 Pro starts to thin out on retailer's shelves, it's a good sign the next model will soon arrive. Having said that, the P4P is an excellent drone. After the P5 is announced, you should be able to get good deals on used P4P's.

My take is that before releasing a new model (e.g. Phantom 5) the channel of assembled drones (finished products) and of parts needs to be thinned out. One way to do that is to announce a "new" release like the Phantom 4 Pro II to stimulate new sales enough to accomplish the "thinning out" objective. When the Phantom 4 Pro starts to thin out on retailer's shelves, it's a good sign the next model will soon arrive. Having said that, the P4P is an excellent drone. After the P5 is announced, you should be able to get good deals on used P4P's.
Good deals on brand new P4P's have been, and are currently available. No need to wait for used. In February through April of 2017, they were being sold by Amazon, Best Buy, and B&H for as little as $1320, in a price war. Last week, Best Buy was selling the the P4P for $1499 but including a second P4P battery and a $100 Best Buy gift card! Shop around, and you'll easily find at least $100 off MSRP today, such as at B&H.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20