Phantom 4 Pro vs New Mavic 2 Pro image quality?

Reaction score
Question 1
OK..so same same but which one is 'better? Cant find any comparisons yet re stills and vide.
I am about to upgrade from my old workhorse P3Pro..so keen to know.

Question 2
Only issue is we work off boats a lot doing whale research and I hear the sensors no longer allow hand release or capture and that is a BIG issue as you need to outsmart that on a boat

Any feed or links appreciated

OK..so same same but which one is 'better? Cant find any comparisons yet re stills and vide.
I am about to upgrade from my old workhorse P3Pro..so keen to know.
Until some comparison material surfaces, we can only guess but it's likely that image quality is quite similar and there probably isn't going to be much to separate them on image quality.
Either way, it will be a big step up from the P3.

Until some comparison material surfaces, we can only guess but it's likely that image quality is quite similar and there probably isn't going to be much to separate them on image quality.
Either way, it will be a big step up from the P3.
Being a pro photographer I would assume 'Blad" software plus a new chip would be better..slightly anyhow, particularly in the dynamic range for RAW highlights and shadows.

Regarding question 2 still concerned about the sensors preventing hand launch and retrieval...VIP on a moving boat in choppy seas. Love to know a workaround. PLUS the Phantom have the friendly legs to use/grip with whereas the Mavic is very prop dangerous in terms of so close to the body with no legs as well.

Regarding question 2 still concerned about the sensors preventing hand launch and retrieval...VIP on a moving boat in choppy seas. Love to know a workaround. PLUS the Phantom have the friendly legs to use/grip with whereas the Mavic is very prop dangerous in terms of so close to the body with no legs as well.
When I'm out on a boat, I appreciate the convenient grab handles on the Phantom.
The Mavic looks trickier but this thread from the Mavic forum has several users commenting that they just turn off the bottom sensors to have one less thing to worry about.
How I hand catch the Mavic without fighting sensors on...
Of course on a small boat at sea, that still leave a few complications to deal with.

When I'm out on a boat, I appreciate the convenient grab handles on the Phantom.
The Mavic looks trickier but this thread from the Mavic forum has several users commenting that they just turn off the bottom sensors to have one less thing to worry about.
How I hand catch the Mavic without fighting sensors on...
Of course on a small boat at sea, that still leave a few complications to deal with.
True - is much easier to hand catch the Mavic if you turn the sensors off. Much easier to launch and land the phantom from the boat. I really only use the Mavic on trips requiring air travel.

Only issue is we work off boats a lot doing whale research and I hear the sensors no longer allow hand release or capture and that is a BIG issue as you need to outsmart that on a boat
Another boat-related point.
If you ever have to launch from a moving boat, it helps to use atti mode so the Phantom isn't fighting the launch helper to hold position while the boat moves.
That's fine with the Phantom, but the Mavic doesn't have the option to using atti mode.

If you ever have to launch from a moving boat, it helps to use atti mode so the Phantom isn't fighting the launch helper to hold position while the boat moves.
That's fine with the Phantom, but the Mavic doesn't have the option to using atti mode.

The Mavic is perfectly capable of running in ATTI mode, but it takes a parameter adjustment to enable it. It will be interesting to see whether the M2P allows that modification. I certainly hope that it does.

CA collision avoidance
Yes....no idea as I dont have one ha...certainly dont need it out at sea. Well if you hit your own boat that would seem to indicate you shouldn't be flying out there anyhow. There can be issues with rigging but I always approach from the rear (stern) as thats the most stable part of any boat anyhow...and wait for the swell to be favourable. Also never leave the battery anywhere near critical before returning as well. I did lose control once when I upgraded the software and forget to adjust the range and the RTH settings and as we tracked whales the drone took off back to the launch spot way behind us!! we chased it and I flipped to ATTI mode to regain control. Great for you heart :)

Reactions: cneedelman
Wow, coronary test for sure. I love to fish, have a boat, never had the nerve/B@lls to use it out there! There no “ oh sh@t” button to put it back in the box for you if you panic!
Makes me crazy if I loose a $75 umbrella rig, can you imagine if I lost my P4P! ****!

Mavic Handle.jpg
A handle on the bottom of the Mavic (for hand catching) could be as simple as a piece of a broomstick and a tie wrap:

Good to know - have only tried from an anchored boat so far.

The linked video was taken by both a P4P and a Mavic Air. Different cameras.

I can't differentiate which video was taken by which drone. So ... I now only use the Mavic Air. While the Mavic Air has a bottom sensor, I always hand catch it. Easy and no problems. It takes some practice. I would NOT hand catch any drone if your boat is not still in the water.

Given the quality demonstrated above by the Mavic Air video capture, the question I'd ask is will it do the job you need done for your research? If so, I am a great believer in the smaller form factor of folding drones ... the smaller the better. I would only go for the Mavic Pro 2 if longer flight times are a must. For myself, I find having 5 batteries to cover many simple and short "takes" works fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik