Phantom 4 Pro - The Video footage is shaking - Problem

Reaction score
The Phantom 4 Pro has an issue with video footage, something that P3P and P4 did not have. The video suddenly started shaking and stopped this strange dancing after about 10 seconds, making footage useless. Problem appears at 0:15 - 0:25.

Does anybody notice something similar or know why?

I viewed you clip on my iPhone, didn't see it shaking. Did I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's hard to tell exactly how hard our drones are working to stabilise themselves when they're that high up.

I've just recently bought my first drone so I'm unsure of what the expectations should be.

I think what you are seeing in your footage is called a jello effect. This should be easy to fix, and is most likely due to your video settings, particularly your shutter speed. Heres some info: How To Fix Rolling Shutter Jello Effect In Aerial Footage

The important video concept here is the shutter speed should be roughly double your fps. So if you're shooting at 24 fps the shutter speed should be set to 1/50th of a second (no 1/48th...). Here some more info on this concept Why Shutter Speed Matters With DSLR Video | CameraDojo

Reactions: KykPhantom
I think what you are seeing in your footage is called a jello effect. This should be easy to fix, and is most likely due to your video settings, particularly your shutter speed. Heres some info: How To Fix Rolling Shutter Jello Effect In Aerial Footage

The important video concept here is the shutter speed should be roughly double your fps. So if you're shooting at 24 fps the shutter speed should be set to 1/50th of a second (no 1/48th...). Here some more info on this concept Why Shutter Speed Matters With DSLR Video | CameraDojo
I thank you for your explanation. I will try to change the settings and try again.

Just looking the comments on Jello from other forums, it seems that it is produced mainly by the vibration of the camera (gimbal) and/or the drone itself (due to propeller unbalance).

I saw you had another thread on this somewhere, as I mentioned before this could have been a huge gust of wind that caused vibration. You are pretty high up. Does this happen regularly?

I saw you had another thread on this somewhere, as I mentioned before this could have been a huge gust of wind that caused vibration. You are pretty high up. Does this happen regularly?
You see, I had only 3-4 flights in total with P4P but I was little worry since 1st flight where I noticed that the video was not so stable. However, isn't strange that the jello effect suddenly stopped at around 0:25?

It's just shivering from the cold! :p
Bring it back down to warmer elevations and it'll be fine!

Reactions: KykPhantom
I have the same exact issue with my Phantom 4 Pro! I don't believe that it has something to do with the shutter speed. I don't know what's going on with DJI at the moment but there seem to be tons of issues with the Gimbal of the P4Pro! With my P4Pro it usually occurs when ascending in a complete upward position and the footage becomes extremely shaky, just like yours! Should I return the drone? Does any other person have the same problem as well, if so, please leave a reply! Please help me!

The Phantom 4 Pro has an issue with video footage, something that P3P and P4 did not have. The video suddenly started shaking and stopped this strange dancing after about 10 seconds, making footage useless. Problem appears at 0:15 - 0:25.

Does anybody notice something similar or know why?

This is extreme JELLO on your video. Clearly, there are periods of significant vibration most likely caused by propeller balancing issues. Given the excess of jello, there may be a more sinister issue relating to the gimbal hardware. Check the props first, maybe replace them with a new set and see if this solves the problem. Also make sure to calibrate the IMU and Gimbal. If all falis -> RMA the sucker.

Check all four of the plastic prop hubs for tightness and wobble. Many P4P's have one or more loose screws on the prop hubs, and some even have screws from the P4 that prematurely bottom out without properly tightening the prop hubs, and some screws are already stripped. If those three screws on each prop hub are all snug and tight, with no prop hub wobble, then something else is going on.

It may have been working hard to stabilize the craft and gimbal resulting in jello. I recall there being a max shutter speed cutoff whereby the mechanical shutter reverts to electronic shutter, which I believe is more susceptible to jello.

What I am getting at is that maybe with a slower shutter speed via the use of ND or narrower aperture, if possible, perhaps you could get the shutter speed low enough where the effect would not be present under the same conditions.

As for wimosaur's comment, it tends to be true that for the nicest looking footage a shutter speed 2x the frame rate tends to result in a pleasing outcome, but this is not strictly related to jello or electronic shutter effects, but more of an unnatural seeming effect whereby there is not enough typical blur from frame to frame for movement to appear natural. It tends to look overly digital, or like ultra-crisp movement in a bad way. I don't think that is the case here, though getting the shutter speed low enough where the mechanical shutter is being used might likely help, so it is potentially correct advice but not necessarily for the correct reason.

This is extreme JELLO on your video. Clearly, there are periods of significant vibration most likely caused by propeller balancing issues. Given the excess of jello, there may be a more sinister issue relating to the gimbal hardware. Check the props first, maybe replace them with a new set and see if this solves the problem. Also make sure to calibrate the IMU and Gimbal. If all falis -> RMA the sucker.
Thank you, that is what I did. Balanced the props - no result and then RMA.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj