Phantom 4 Pro Return to home question

Reaction score
First off i asked a question last week and got along of positive responses (a few negative) but over all a good experience with this forum from a rookie.

I have been trying to find this answer for a day or two and have come up empty

In regards to the return to home feature. What if something is in the way of the drone? Does it fly straight home from where it is?

Example Loss of signal return to home. Where i want to fly i have alot of fields with tree lines. "What if" I fly into the field and have trees between the drone and myself. is it going to come straight to me and fly into he trees or will it take the path that i original flew to get there the drone is now(back up over the trees to safety)?

RTH takes a direct route back (makes a 'beeline' home). That's why you want to set your RTH height to take into account terrain and other obstacles in the area.

RTH takes a direct route back (makes a 'beeline' home). That's why you want to set your RTH height to take into account terrain and other obstacles in the area.
Are you sure the P4 pro flies a beeline. all the marketing blurb talks about it retracing its flight path.

Make sure to set your rth height high enough to clear everything on its return. If you turn the sensors on, it should climb to a safer height and come back to you. But I rather it clear everything so you don't have to worry about crashing into something. And it will fly straight home.

P4P will slow and maneuver over obstacles while retracing it's path home. YouTube says it's so.

Isn't there an option on the p4p interface to set an intelligent rth? This is supposed to return the same way it went.

In regards to the return to home feature. What if something is in the way of the drone? Does it fly straight home from where it is?

Example Loss of signal return to home. Where i want to fly i have alot of fields with tree lines. "What if" I fly into the field and have trees between the drone and myself. is it going to come straight to me and fly into he trees or will it take the path that i original flew to get there the drone is now(back up over the trees to safety)?
It's a little complicated.
Your P4 pro on loss of signal should first attempt to retrace it's patch for 30 secs or until it reconnects if it does sooner.
If it still hasn't reconnected, then it will climb to RTH height (if it is lower) and come straight home at RTH height.
It can change course to avoid obstacles but there are some limitations to obstacle avoidance so it's always best to set an RTH height that will safely clear all obstacles between where you fly and where you launch.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20