Phantom 4 Pro Plus Remote Controller

Reaction score
Hi everyone;

I'm thinking about purchasing a Phantom 4 Pro Plus Remote Controller for my P4P and was wondering if those of you who have one now are happy with it. I realize it has an Android system and I actually had the P4P+ when I first bought mine but it wouldn't upgrade firmware very well and kept on crashing almost every time I turned it on.

I waited a couple of weeks and in February of this year I purchased my P4P. So, now I would like to try the P4P + controller and so I'm thinking of buying it.

Does anyone have any concerns with this controller? Is it working well with the DJI Go 4 App? I don't use Litchie or any other apps.

Thanks everyone, and I would very much appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Regards

Bud

Mine has been working well with the latest firmware. There are some potential shortcomings depending on what you want to do with it. Check out the video below for more details on the pros/cons.

Thank you, and I did watch that video before I asked the questions but my main concern is does it crash? Or a better question would be, is it really god and stable like the IOS DJI Go4 app on my iPad Mini 4 which in four months has never crashed once.

I realize the screen is much smaller than my iPad Mini 4 but I think I can live with that. It's just that the brightness on the iPad just doesn't cut it on very bright days. I'll still keep my other controller just in case, but I think I would like the Plus version controller too. I'm an old timer with too much money I guess so the money isn't an issue, I just want what works the best in real bright daylight.

May I ask what the problems were that you were having with the older firmware?

I guess that's all I'm worried about really.

Thanks for the reply.

Bud

Mine has been working well with the latest firmware. There are some potential shortcomings depending on what you want to do with it. Check out the video below for more details on the pros/cons.

Last edited:
If I may msinger, I have one other question. If I were using the Pro Plus controller on the P4P and if the DJI Go4 app were to crash, I assume the P4P would RTH if all is set correctly. If that were to happen, could I still control the P4P without the app running by turning off the RTH by pressing the RTH button?

Bud

I love my screen, only had 2 app crashes, but it came right back up and I never lost any control of the p4p

May I ask what the problems were that you were having with the older firmware?
I have been upgrading the remote controller as DJI releases new firmware. A lot of people who were experiencing problems were using old firmware at times when a newer version was available. Almost all of the issues I've seen mentioned were resolved by updating the firmware.

If I were using the Pro Plus controller on the P4P and if the DJI Go4 app were to crash, I assume the P4P would RTH if all is set correctly. If that were to happen, could I still control the P4P without the app running by turning off the RTH by pressing the RTH button?
The DJI GO app runs on the display -- which is basically an Android tablet (a super thin/bright Android tablet). If the DJI GO app crashes and/or the display restarts or shuts off, you'll still be able to fly with the remote controller (assuming it's still connected to the Phantom).

FYI, the display automatically turns on/off when the remote controller is powered on/off via the power button on the remote controller. When the remote controller is powered on, it's possible to reboot the display via the power button on the top, right of the display. It's not possible to power on the display while the remote controller is powered off.

Thank you, and I did watch that video before I asked the questions but my main concern is does it crash? Or a better question would be, is it really good and stable like the IOS DJI Go4 app on my iPad Mini 4 which in four months has never crashed once.

I realize the screen is much smaller than my iPad Mini 4 but I think I can live with that. It's just that the brightness on the iPad just doesn't cut it on very bright days. I'll still keep my other controller just in case, but I think I would like the Plus version controller too. I'm an old timer with too much money I guess so the money isn't an issue, I just want what works the best in real bright daylight.
Bud

If money isn't an issue, I suggest you wait a few weeks and pay the $995 for the new 7.85" Crystal Sky display that was just released. It's twice as bright as the P4P+ display, and twice the real-estate. It's also running DJI-android, so it won't run 3rd party apps. Here are the advantages of this path versus the P4P+:

1. It bolts up to your current RC. 2000nit versus 1000nit brightness rating. Your current clip mount is replaced with a heavy duty mount.
2. There is an optional clip that can be used on the heavy duty mount allowing you to use an iPad if needed. So if you ever have DJI-android issues, you can use your iPad while you get the issues resolved.
3. The Crystal Sky plays your SD card video on it's 8" super bright screen.
4. The Crystal Sky unit will play your SD card video directly to a TV using an HDMI cable, in 4K!
5. You'd be first on your block to have one. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Matchlock
I have had no issues to speak of, an occasional crash, but it never affects my control of the p4p. Usually it reboots on its own and opens to were I was last in very quick order, and each new rev it happens less and less.

Does the quad just stop in mid air and wait for pilot input if the app crashes?
The quad obeys the remote controller sticks. If you let the sticks go, the quad will stop in mid air and hover. If you continue to man the sticks, the quad will continue to obey your commands. Whether or not the DJI GO app is running has no effect on what you're doing with the sticks.

Thank you. So it sounds like they've come a long way since the first ones came out. I appreciate all the feedback, it really helps making my decision a lot easier, .and so I think I'll go ahead and purchase the P4P+ Remote Controller today.

The one thing that worried me was I thought that if the app crashed, I thought I would lose control of the Phantom 4 Pro. I'm happy to learn that this is not the case.

By the way, can you clear the screen on the Plus remote by swiping down with your finger like you can when using the iPad Mini on the P4P?

Bud

I have had no issues to speak of, an occasional crash, but it never affects my control of the p4p. Usually it reboots on its own and opens to were I was last in very quick order, and each new rev it happens less and less.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Thank you msinger. With your input and that of the others here, I've made up my mind to go and purchase the Plus controller today. I really appreciate all of your help. Thank you so much.

Bud

The quad obeys the remote controller sticks. If you let the sticks go, the quad will stop in mid air and hover. If you continue to man the sticks, the quad will continue to obey your commands. Whether or not the DJI GO app is running has no effect on what you're doing with the sticks.

By the way, can you clear the screen on the Plus remote by swiping down with your finger like you can when using the iPad Mini on the P4P?
Swiping down on the screen will activate full screen mode.

Oh Boy!! Now you've given me something more to consider. This sounds very interesting, especially the additional real estate. More brightness would be a real plus in the bright summer sun as well.

Thank you John, this is something I'll have to consider. Wow, so many choices now. Thanks a lot for your information.

Bud

If money isn't an issue, I suggest you wait a few weeks and pay the $995 for the new 7.85" Crystal Sky display that was just released. It's twice as bright as the P4P+ display, and twice the real-estate. It's also running DJI-android, so it won't run 3rd party apps. Here are the advantages of this path versus the P4P+:

1. It bolts up to your current RC. 2000nit versus 1000nit brightness rating. Your current clip mount is replaced with a heavy duty mount.
2. There is an optional clip that allows you to use your iPad when and if needed. So if you ever have DJI-android issues, you can use your iPad while you get the CS unit fixed.
3. The Crystal Sky plays your SD card video on it's 8" screen.
4. The Crystal Sky unit will play your SD card video directly to a TV using an HDMI cable, in 4K!
5. You'd be first on your block to have one. :p

Last edited:
The Crytal Sky seems to be in the section for the insipire stuff, will this work with the P4P? I too was thinking of getting the + remote, as the display on my iPad is terrible in the sun, but seeing this now I might just hang on.. any other tablet you recommend for bright sun?

will this work with the P4P?
Yes -- per the CrystalSky user guide:

Manual.jpg

Thank you!, do you know if i need to buy any add on with it to make it fit my controller?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl