Phantom 4 pro firmware update issue

Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know what this means in the screenshot?
I'm trying to update the firmware but the start the update button is just grey and does nothing when I press it. It won't start any download. Just says I'm in compatibility mode or lacking update log.
Has anyone any idea what to do from here to get it working?
Thanks
1e697612ad38802ce0d354eded939cbb.jpg

It's a warning message that you are about to IRREVERSIBLY F'up your bird! DO NOT UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE! You see the first dozen or so posts from all the meesage boards about firmware problems? They are there for a reason. What version do you have now?

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I've already updated the rc. That went well but I can't do the drone. I didn't see those posts.
Is it not a case that I'm better off keeping it up to date?
But what is the actual reason it won't download for me anyway?

Reactions: THECaptainKirk
Surely at some point I'll have to do it to keep it working well? I mean if there's many issues with the latest firmware they'll sort that out eventually.. then how will I get around this issue of not being able to download it? Or is it gone purposely like that because it's sh.t? What's bugging me now is that I don't even have the option.. I'd like to know why I can't even download it. Even if I don't.. why is it not letting me and what does the message mean at the bottom of the screen?

Surely at some point I'll have to do it to keep it working well?
That is incorrect. IMO, as I did say before, updates are optional and correct me if I am mistaken, were you not advised of that previously? You really only need to update if there is a "feature" that you would like available, or if there is some anomaly that you can't otherwise determine a better method. The release notes don not tell you everything you need to know. Wish I could be of further assistance. Good luck getting her back up and flying again. I wish you well.

Thanks. It's flying fine. I just keep seeing the firmware required. Yes ideas told it's optional. It's just annoying me now that I can't do it should I want to. Going by what the other guy was saying I'll hold off for now. I did however do the rc update. Hope that doesn't cause an issue having updated one and not the other. But should I want to do it in the future I will need to figure why I can't even down load it in the first place. That's what's annoying me most now. But until I can figure that out, In its still flying perfectly

Consider it a blessing in disguise that you were not able to update! Just spend a little time reading thru the threads here and on DJI's forum and you will see why. I would stay on the firmware version you have if you aren't having problems and DO NOT UPDATE if it is flying well.

Reactions: NewbieForever
True. I have read a few and decided I won't update until the next one comes out and has good reports. It's still a little frustrating though that I don't know why the option isn't there. I'm just very fussy about everything working exactly as it should. That's also why I won't do the update even when I figure why I can't lol.. I presume dji will roll out another soon enough if it's causing so many issues

Reactions: NewbieForever
True. I have read a few and decided I won't update until the next one comes out and has good reports. It's still a little frustrating though that I don't know why the option isn't there. I'm just very fussy about everything working exactly as it should. That's also why I won't do the update even when I figure why I can't lol.. I presume dji will roll out another soon enough if it's causing so many issues

I COMPLETELY understand your frustration and feel the same way. I would not however count on DJI to "fix" anything anytime soon as they will never even acknowledge people are having problems. And now that they have made it near impossible to roll back firmware updates. They have screwed over thousands of loyal customers and don't seem to care AT ALL. The only hope for many people has been to take matters into their own hands and roll back their firmware by "other means".

Reactions: alsobrook4336
The only hope for many people has been to take matters into their own hands and roll back their firmware by "other means".
I agree, partially with this comment. Only because of a few things and this being one of them. And I cannot stress enough while commenting that I am attempting to say this impartially. You would be very surprised of the number of people who fail to follow process instructions, and then pass the blame to developers and/or programmers for apps, OS, what have you. Just because a particular process that was not followed properly ( Documented or not) does not mean that there is something wrong. If the process is followed correctly and basically to the letter, most will have no issues. I do grant however, that DJI is very poor at documenting process's other than those that are stated within the manuals, and those fall way short of what they should be. Just a few cents worth...

Reactions: PunaPhantom
I was just thinking. I put a new sd card into the drone and never formatted it. Could this be the reason for the inability to start the download of the firmware? Even though the download is meant to happen while the rc is plugged into the phone?
Just a thought.

I agree, partially with this comment. Only because of a few things and this being one of them. And I cannot stress enough while commenting that I am attempting to say this impartially. You would be very surprised of the number of people who fail to follow process instructions, and then pass the blame to developers and/or programmers for apps, OS, what have you. Just because a particular process that was not followed properly ( Documented or not) does not mean that there is something wrong. If the process is followed correctly and basically to the letter, most will have no issues. I do grant however, that DJI is very poor at documenting process's other than those that are stated within the manuals, and those fall way short of what they should be. Just a few cents worth...

You are right and I should have been more specific. I personally had no problems updating to latest firmware. What I DID have problems with was DJI's relentless pursuit to take control of our drones with the ridiculous NFZ's that are WAY WAY WAY too restrictive. I was grounded for a week in a 30 square mile area in the Florida panhandle with no way to unlock zones that should have never been locked in the first place.

I was grounded for a week in a 30 square mile area in the Florida panhandle
If you are anywhere near Eglin AFB, then that I can understand....Many low level practice missions in the area. High level as well, that you really wouldn't see, unless you knew of it.....;)

If you are anywhere near Eglin AFB, then that I can understand....Many low level practice missions in the area. High level as well, that you really wouldn't see, unless you knew of it.....;)

The crazy thing was though that I met somebody flying their P3 with no problem and someone else with a brand new Mavic with no problems flying. No matter now as I will never have that nasty NFZ problem again:)

Going back to my firmware issue not downloading, I asked DJI themselves and I got an email back today to check my log file on the sd card. Do you think the fact I put a new sd card into the drone and didn't format it that might be the reason. I dont want to format right now as its full of footage

Ok, just to let you all know, i tried a different USB on the go cable my friend had for his p4 and low and behold, it worked fine. Turns out I have a faulty OTG cable. no big issue. Glad I found out what caused the inability to download the update but now that I can, I still wont. Just good to know when I do decide to ever update, I can.
Thanks all!!!

I COMPLETELY understand your frustration and feel the same way. I would not however count on DJI to "fix" anything anytime soon as they will never even acknowledge people are having problems. And now that they have made it near impossible to roll back firmware updates. They have screwed over thousands of loyal customers and don't seem to care AT ALL. The only hope for many people has been to take matters into their own hands and roll back their firmware by "other means".
By 'other means' are you able to steer me there, I have a P4P that has been grounded for two weeks with this firmware update. My camera is non responsive and I am getting no help from DJI??!!??

Thank you

Reactions: Danoldo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31