Phantom 4 power issue - power loss

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I experienced a crash last sunday. Didn't had enough power to bring the bird back safely. From above the home point it falled the last 10m on the ground. What surprised me is that the battery level went slowly down to 24% and then straight to 0%...

Let me know what you think... Did I do something wrong or is it a battery problem?

Here is the TXT. log file...

By the way damage is limited to a bended landing gear and a broken antenna and compass... no gimbal/ camera damage.

Cheers

Fred

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-07-16_[13-47-57].txt
    848.5 KB · Views: 231
Are you sure you started with 100% battery charged?

No I didn't... I started with 47%. I had another flight before...

But this shouldn't be a problem no?

Thanks!

The only problem is that you were relying on the battery percentage instead of the actual battery voltage. It's safest to ensure the Phantom is on the ground by the time the first battery cell reaches 3.4V. If you fly beyond that, you could run into trouble (like this).

Ok understood... I should have know that being a P1 pilot for 2 years... With convenience you forget the old principles...

Still on this flight after analysis I had more than 6 Major Deviations (when a cell differs more than 0.07v from the other cells.). I will keep an eye on the specific battery.

Cheers

Wow, a lesson for a lot of us. I know about cell deviation, but I'm watching the battery %. It's a little harder to watch the cells and everything else in the bright sun. Reading this should make me a better pilot.

You can easily watch the voltage in DJI GO like this:

DJI-GO-Monitor-Voltage-1.jpg

DJI-GO-Monitor-Voltage-2.jpg

DJI-GO-Monitor-Voltage-3.jpg

Reactions: BCBasher and JWH
Thank you for this thread. It is very informative. I have always watched the percentage and landed at 30%. I didn't know about the 3.4V being the critical level.

Hi! Fully charged 2 days before and the settings were 25% and 10%...

The only problem is that you were relying on the battery percentage instead of the actual battery voltage. It's safest to ensure the Phantom is on the ground by the time the first battery cell reaches 3.4V. If you fly beyond that, you could run into trouble (like this).

Good info here, curious if the batter voltage i.e 3.4v represents 35% batter percentage and that is consistent.

I'll definitely start looking at the battery voltage vs the battery percentage. As already stated here, land the AC by the time battery voltage is 3.4v.

curious if the batter voltage i.e 3.4v represents 35% batter percentage and that is consistent
It's not consistent. That's why you should pay more attention to the battery voltage.

Reactions: JWH
I sent my P4 in for repair... I will test this battery carefully when it returns...

Hi everyone!

Just a quick update! I got good news from DJI today!

"After testing and diagnosing your product, DJI will provide you with the free repair service. The repair is expected to be finished in 2 to 3 working days, then the product will be sent back to you. Thank you for choosing DJI. WARRANTY. Dear customer send the battery for a free replacement as it was the reason for the crash. The craft has landing gear damage the gimbal roll deformed."

(for details see my first post)

So far really happy with DJI Support!

Have a great day!

Fred

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan