Phantom 4: post your Live Streaming link

Reaction score
So I tried Live Streaming on YouTube from my P4 the other day for the first time.

My data connection wasn't good which resulted in a smallish and washed out feed. But still, it felt powerful. And stressful as I knew my camera work wasn't tip-top and there was no way to "edit it out" in post. :)

With this thread, I am hoping P4 owners who use the Live Streaming feature in the DJI Go app and want to share the link with us so we can watch.

Forgot the name of that app people use to do the same and live-stream from their cellphone.

This is more exclusive and privileged. I'd be thankful if someone let us in and transported us to their location.
One day we could be watching NYC, another Idaho and another, China. Who knows.

Thank you all.

@LuvMyTJ May I please get you to consider this thread as a candidate for sticky if it gains traction?

Edit:

I am adding a tutorial for YouTube to get everyone interested started with this.
You can do this in your home and ahead of time, before you go out and actually Live Stream.

1. Sign into your YouTube account
Click on your account name (top right corner)
And then on Creator Studio

2. In the left column, click on the Live Streaming and then Stream Now
The first time you do this, follow instructions on that screen to enable Live Streaming on your account.

Subsequent times you go there, you can control complex things like chat functions, analytics and the monetization (ads on) of your stream.

1.png

3. Open the DJI Go app on your device.
Tap the ... in the top right corner and then ... again at the bottom of the vertical row of icons.
Under Live Streaming, tap Choose Live Streaming Platform and finally YouTube.
The first time you do this, you must enter your YouTube credentials to sign-in.

2.PNG
3.PNG

Click through the prompts, fill out the descriptive elements of your Live Stream if you care.

11.png

7.PNG

Then tap Start Encoder.

8.PNG

9.PNG

And finally tap Start Streaming

10.PNG

That's it! You are live.
You can copy the URL from there to share it in other apps... and to post it here. :)

5.png

4. You now have a Blue icon on your DJI Go main screen.
Tap it to call up the Live Streaming controls where you can stop the streaming.

4.PNG

Notes:
1) If you want to Live Stream sound also (besides video).
The Live Stream will use the microphone in your device (running the DJI Go app).
You will be prompted to allow access to it the first time, you can decline.

2) The DJI Go can Live Stream to Facebook:
I don't use FaceBook and have no experience with it.
So here is another tutorial from someone else.
I am making his video start at the 1:33 mark where it matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hao Nguyen
I got it working.

Should I post a tutorial?

Thank you.

Will do it later today.

Forgot the name of that app people use to do the same and live-stream from their cellphone.

@LuvMyTJ May I please get you to consider this thread as a candidate for sticky if it gains traction?

Periscope app

The problems with live streaming on periscope are quality, finding content that interests you and timing your viewing to coincide. Randomly viewing most of the content there isn't that interesting IMO.

Other online services have better search functions and more professional content. Ustream, for example.

Drone streaming is so new and users so limited that I suspect it will be quite some time before there is a decent amount of content.

Reactions: FlashBuddy
@LuvMyTJ et al:

I edited the original post to include a tutorial for YouTube (my own images) and FaceBook (which I don't use, so I found a video on... YouTube).

@BigAl07
Can I get you to care to do this? :)

Periscope app

The problems with live streaming on periscope are quality, finding content that interests you and timing your viewing to coincide. Randomly viewing most of the content there isn't that interesting IMO.

Other online services have better search functions and more professional content. Ustream, for example.

Drone streaming is so new and users so limited that I suspect it will be quite some time before there is a decent amount of content.

I meant for this to be a fun thread and add interesting content to the forums.

Imagine being transported to a Japan or Spain because a member sees this thread, decides to give it a go and post his LiveStream link!

Yes, we could go on YouTube and watch a manicured video of the same spots.
Now we have this option too.

If enough people do it, there should be plenty of content no matter the time of the day/ night across time zones.

Please give LiveStream a go! :)

Last edited:
Live streaming on YouTube soon. This will be a first try. Phantom 4 using an ipad on WiFi using my phones hot spot. Hope it works. I'll post link soon. Maybe 10 minutes.

@Freedom4 The second link you posted is working! :)

The sound is choppy. And the image stutters sometimes. But I can see others flying RC planes too, right?

@Freedom4 The second link you posted is working! :)

The sound is choppy. And the image stutters sometimes. But I can see others flying RC planes too, right?
Yes! I have one more battery so I'll post another link in a few minutes. Wasn't working the first time I tried. Glad that 2nd link worked.

The Live Streams get archived in your YouTube account automatically so you can play them back later.

You can also manage/ delete them from the Video Manager section in the left pane of the page.

11.png

Last edited:
@Freedom4 It's working!

The video is prob. 2 frames per sec.
I am wondering if your internet connection is not fast enough or if something is not working between the drone and the YouTube.

@Freedom4 It's working!

The video is prob. 2 frames per sec.
I am wondering if your internet connection is not fast enough or if something is not working between the drone and the YouTube.
I'm using my phone. Note 4 on t mobile 4g lte connection. Not really sure why it's so slow. Never tried this before.

Thank you so much for playing!

I will post a link soon too when I am out with my P4.

I've had great luck with live streaming. Prior versions of DJI Go on iOS had TERRIBLE lag and freezing issues with FB Live - but that's been fixed in the latest Go App on iOS. The YouTube version works well but doesn't offer as many options and just doesn't "feel" as mature.

But, remember, the quality of the Live is what's fed by your 720 feed into the controller, not the 1080p or better video you may be capturing. Those are independent things.

Here is a FB Live video I captured last night using the latest Go application:

I've had great luck with live streaming. Prior versions of DJI Go on iOS had TERRIBLE lag and freezing issues with FB Live - but that's been fixed in the latest Go App on iOS. The YouTube version works well but doesn't offer as many options and just doesn't "feel" as mature.

But, remember, the quality of the Live is what's fed by your 720 feed into the controller, not the 1080p or better video you may be capturing. Those are independent things.

Here is a FB Live video I captured last night using the latest Go application:
What do you mean fed into the controller? Doesn't the feed come from tablet or phone?

What I mean is that the 720p video that comes from the drone to the controller and then fed into the tablet/phone is what is being split off and sent to the Live stream which then resends it out to others. So the quality is taking a hit in a couple places from a lowest quality start.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20